Xeon E5-2650 v4 ES QHV6 compatible with Supermicro x10SRL-F?

alex75871

Is the Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 ES QHV6 compatible with the Supermicro X10SRL-F motherboard?

I am currently using an 8 core 1.7 GHz retail Xeon E5-2609 v4 which struggles to transcode 4k blurays on Plex Media Server.

I am looking for a cheap upgrade and the E5-2650 v4 ES is perfect with 12 cores at 2.2 GHz, turbo boost and will support my 2400 ECC Registered memory.

The only problem I see is that it's an ES chip. Otherwise it's supported so long as you're running BIOS V2.0 or higher. I have been told only the Supermicro boards tend to work with ES chips but that's just word of mouth.

Really if you can help it look for QS chips. They're most closely related to the official release chips. Have the most bugs worked out. I can't say if their compatibility is any better than ES though.

On 1/17/2020 at 5:01 PM, Windows7ge said:

The only problem I see is that it's an ES chip. Otherwise it's supported so long as you're running BIOS V2.0 or higher. I have been told only the Supermicro boards tend to work with ES chips but that's just word of mouth.

Really if you can help it look for QS chips. They're most closely related to the official release chips. Have the most bugs worked out. I can't say if their compatibility is any better than ES though.

Thanks for your feedback. I ended up buying an older E5-2670 v3 12 core 2.3 GHz retail version instead because it is guaranteed to be compatible with my system. The v3 does not support my 2400 MHz memory (only 2133) but leaves room for upgrade in a couple years when v4 prices come down.