GPU not fitting into mobo?

Musya

Hello everyone, i have a little problem wondering if anyone can give me suggestions what to do. I water cooled my computer last month and i have been getting blue screen of death on my windows 10 since then. I am 99% sure it is my gpu, i looked at it and it looks like it does not sit properly in the mobo due to the clip. The temperatures of cpu and gpu are fine while gaming 50-60c, no spikes and passed every stress test for gpu and cpu. Can anyone give me suggestions i was thinking of just breaking the clip off but i don't want to damage the mobo, and would like to avoid purchasing a whole new mobo just so the card can fit.

The gpu water cooling block is the corsair XG7, i uploaded pictures to show whats going on in my case. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you for your time.

If the gpu wouldnt be in there properly the PC wouldn't put out video.

I think you're issues are coming from a software related problem. Have you looked into event viewer about information on the crashes ? 

Also can you give me some information about your system ? 

7 minutes ago, NoGanksEric said:

If the gpu wouldnt be in there properly the PC wouldn't put out video.

I think you're issues are coming from a software related problem. Have you looked into event viewer about information on the crashes ? 

Also can you give me some information about your system ? 

Im not sure what event viewer is, is it a program?

Yes, my computer specs:

i7 6700k OC to 4.5Ghz

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-z170xp sli

RTX 2080

g.skill ripkaw 32gb ram @ 3200mhz

EVGA 80 plus 750w power supply

120gb ssd

1tb hdd

1tb hdd

I ran the computer without overclock as well because i thought my cpu was unstable, it still crashes.

Sometimes it crashes searching the web, but mostly when im gaming high demanding games ie. COD, RDR2.

Could this be windows 10 issue i am running an old pirated windows 10 from 2015 i believe.

Go into the windows search bar and search event viewer. Then go to windows protocols and system. And theres a list of informations problems and warnings about what your system does and what went wrong. (finding the crash is easier when you go there after it happens.) 

It should give you atleast an error code or maybe even tell you what caused the crash. 

My suggestion rn would be that there is some windows files corrupted or damaged. That's what usually causes such random consistent bluescreen crashes. 

So what you do sounds a little complicated but actually is quite simple. 

1. Go to the windows search bar and type cmd. 

Right click cmd.exe and open as administrator. 

Then type 

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

and press enter.

(This will download data required to repair damaged files.  

after that is done type 

sfc/scannow 

this will search your windows for files that are corrupted or damaged and repair them. 

if this process can not be finished you need to do it in safe mode. 

Okay I didn't see youre mentioning about the pirated windows. Yes this can be quite a problem since the rtx cards need dx12 and I don't know if that was a thing 2015 tbh also there could be other problems. 

But what's for sure is that you don't even need to pirate windows. You can download windows for free and get all the updates and funktions just with a little watermark on the bottom. 

Also a key on mmoga for example is like 12€ ^^

2 minutes ago, NoGanksEric said:

My suggestion rn would be that there is some windows files corrupted or damaged. That's what usually causes such random consistent bluescreen crashes. 

So what you do sounds a little complicated but actually is quite simple. 

1. Go to the windows search bar and type cmd. 

Right click cmd.exe and open as administrator. 

Then type 

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

and press enter.

(This will download data required to repair damaged files.  

after that is done type 

sfc/scannow 

this will search your windows for files that are corrupted or damaged and repair them. 

if this process can not be finished you need to do it in safe mode. 

Going to try this right now.

when i try to open event viewer, it says App has Been Blocked for Your Protection by administrator.

Just now, Musya said:

Going to try this right now.

when i try to open event viewer, it says App has Been Blocked for Your Protection by administrator

Well if you are the administrator just try right click and open as administrator. 

But maybe updating the windows to an 2019 version first does make more sense 

1 minute ago, NoGanksEric said:

Okay I didn't see youre mentioning about the pirated windows. Yes this can be quite a problem since the rtx cards need dx12 and I don't know if that was a thing 2015 tbh also there could be other problems. 

But what's for sure is that you don't even need to pirate windows. You can download windows for free and get all the updates and funktions just with a little watermark on the bottom. 

Also a key on mmoga for example is like 12€ ^^

Alright, that is my issue for sure than, i will be purchasing a key hopefully of kinguin or ill try mmoga, thank you for your help. I appriciate it, i will post an update within 48 hours after re installing windows. Thank you for you help and time my friend. :)

Sure :)

Also make sure to use the Windows Media creation tool. I think it should allow you to just install the new OS without loosing any data. But ofcourse try to backup all the important stuff before anyways ^^ 

Just now, NoGanksEric said:

Sure :)

Also make sure to use the Windows Media creation tool. I think it should allow you to just install the new is without loosing any data. But ofcourse try to safe all the important stuff before anyways ^^ 

Yes i will be transferring all my data off ssd to backup hdd, and saved bookmarks/ passwords.

Thank you again, have a great weekend :)