Reducing cooling to reduce overall noise

Zelenia
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
On 3/23/2020 at 10:33 AM, Zelenia said:

I can try undervolting too but is there any guides for that? I don't want to cause any damage to the system or prevent it from working.

On 3/21/2020 at 7:01 AM, WoodenMarker said:

The card could just be boosting more with the thermal headroom. Have you checked to see if clocks speeds are any higher with the change in fan speed?

What rpm are the case fans running at?

Yes, I think you're right on this one. I haven't really found any good way to calm this thing down since it got factory OC. OC mode is turned off from BIOS. Majority of the time in higher cock speeds fan speed also ramps up (I got the fan speed limited to 60% until it reaches 83 celcius and power limit at 78% in MSI Afterburner).

Top case fans are running at 1100-1300RPM. Rear exhaust is running at 1300RPM. Bottom intake at 1100RPM. This is during gameplay in graphically demanding titles (Black Desert Remastered, 1080p, FPS limited to 60). 

Thanks a lot for reply. I was bit busy yesterday so I couldn't reply.

Gaming PC

MBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX           CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3060ti TUF OC 8GB,        RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 3200Mhz,

Storage: Samsung SSD 980 1TB  &   WD Blue 1 TB SSD

PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)       Case: Kolink Citadel Mesh Matx     Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 120mm

You just have a bad cooler on gpu. Cpu cooler also a bit weird choice for a case that couldve easily fitted a 20-30€ 120mm-fan tower cooler that performs a lot better than that noctua one designed for very thin itx-builds.

Swap a custom cooler for gpu or undervolt it. Thats how you make it quieter.

21 hours ago, Jeppes said:

You just have a bad cooler on gpu. Cpu cooler also a bit weird choice for a case that couldve easily fitted a 20-30€ 120mm-fan tower cooler that performs a lot better than that noctua one designed for very thin itx-builds.

Swap a custom cooler for gpu or undervolt it. Thats how you make it quieter.

I don't know a lot about coolers or fans so I did only pick whatever was recommend or popular. :) But yeah good to know. I did pick Noctua mainly for lower pitch.

Swapping the fans will void the warranty of this GPU. My country also has relatively low supply on aftermarket coolers.

https://tinyurl.com/to73aot

This is the only one I found that could in theory work but I haven't seen any reviews on people testing it on this particular GPU. Do you think it will fit? If there is even slight "no" I might try just reselling this and buy other GPU with better cooling.

//edit

I can try undervolting too but is there any guides for that? I don't want to cause any damage to the system or prevent it from working.

Gaming PC

MBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX           CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3060ti TUF OC 8GB,        RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 3200Mhz,

PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)       Case: Kolink Citadel Mesh Matx     Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 120mm

On 3/23/2020 at 10:33 AM, Zelenia said:

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 3/28/2020 at 2:45 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Thank you, I've been playing around with this voltage thing a little to see what kind of undervolting i need to get max out of the card below certain noise level.

Just one thing I haven't really understood is how to pull all anchors down to desired Mhz at once? ctrl+click or shift+click just pulls down the whole graph. It's kind of slow to do it 1b1....

For me it seems that I can boost to 1800Mhz with 893Mv which is quite good improvement (HWinfo is telling me GPU is consuming around 108-112W now when it was close to 118-120W before) Temps are around 80 celcius but GPU fans never go above 52% so it's great for overall noise.

Still can play games 1080p 60fps in high settings and 140+ with medium (Overwatch medium goes above 230 FPS).

Gaming PC