PC shuts down when playing games

Hi all, 

I'm having a random shut down issue where if i start a game (monster hunter world for example) i'll get between 5 minutes and an hour's play time, and then the computer will instantly shut off, leaving only the rgb lights on the motherboard on. if i try to power on again it won't do so unless i switch the PSU off and on again near the external plug.

1) I discovered this issue when i was playing monster hunter world and it has repeated on project cars, so i figure it's hardware, not game related.

2)i have run msi kombustor and done stress tests, even in 4k, to which there are no issues. CPU temp never went above 55c, and GPU temp never rose above 65. however the top side of the gpu near the mobo was hot to the touch.

i've monitored cpu and gpu temperatures using msi afterburner whilst playing the games i mentioned, and again, nothing really abnormal. CPU around 50-60 and GPU never above 70.

3) So i've sort of narrowed it down to the PSU(?) as this seems like the most likely culprit as everything else seems fine to me. i've had it since 2012 and now that i've put a bunch of new bits and a different load on it, it's probably sh*t itself. right?

i'm looking at ordering this as it's replacement (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020102-UK-CX550M-Bronze-Certified/dp/B01C3FFATU/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=psu%2Bmodular&qid=1579128282&sr=8-6&th=1) if this is the case.

Specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD ryzen 5 3600x (brand new)

GPU: Nvidia GTX1070

MOBO: Asus rog strix b450 (brand new)

PSU: Aerocool templarius 850w 

cpu cooler: coolermaster masterliquid 120 cpu cooler (brand new)

RAM: 2x8gb corsair ddr4 RGB (brand new)

Storage: 2x seagate hdd (1xbrand new), samsung evo ssd (brand new), kingston ssd 

any help with this problem at all would be really appreciated. such a pain now that i've upgraded that i can't play any good games! 

Thanks in advance-

SuperNova123

1 minute ago, SuperNova123 said:

any help with this problem at all would be really appreciated. such a pain now that i've upgraded that i can't play any good games! 

Is your bios up to date? All drivers up to date?

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

I would check operating temp of cpu gpu. There are free temp monitoring software.

Just now, Zmax said:

I would check operating temp of cpu gpu. There free temp monitoring software.

OKKKKKKK

7 minutes ago, Zmax said:

I would check operating temp of cpu gpu. There are free temp monitoring software.

?

11 minutes ago, SuperNova123 said:

2)i have run msi kombustor and done stress tests, even in 4k, to which there are no issues. CPU temp never went above 55c, and GPU temp never rose above 65. however the top side of the gpu near the mobo was hot to the touch.

i've monitored cpu and gpu temperatures using msi afterburner whilst playing the games i mentioned, and again, nothing really abnormal. CPU around 50-60 and GPU never above 70

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

I had this same issue with my PC and it was related to certain BIOS setting concerning DRAM. However for me this issue occurred only if I used 4 sticks of DRAM. 

Changing this setting in BIOS from the default 100% to 130% fixed the issue for me. 

IMG_20190726_150654.thumb.jpg.45620e1dd0c4162f9cf5a442871ab0e2.jpg

Try that if you have this setting available. But it's very possible that in your case the PSU may be the issue 

20 hours ago, Whiro said:

Is your bios up to date? All drivers up to date?

i have updated everything obvious, like the graphics card drivers and all the necessary motherboard ones from asus' website.

20 hours ago, WereCat said:

I had this same issue with my PC and it was related to certain BIOS setting concerning DRAM. However for me this issue occurred only if I used 4 sticks of DRAM. 

Changing this setting in BIOS from the default 100% to 130% fixed the issue for me. 

IMG_20190726_150654.thumb.jpg.45620e1dd0c4162f9cf5a442871ab0e2.jpg

Try that if you have this setting available. But it's very possible that in your case the PSU may be the issue 

from reading the description of that setting that doesnt sound terribly safe. I'm only running 2 sticks of 8gb ddr4 so i'm not sure whether this would apply to me? could you explain it a little better please so that i fully understand what i'm doing?

I've ordered a 750w corsair semi modular psu which is arriving tomorrow. i'll post on here if that sorts the issue