New monitor? yes or no? and what kind? Help asap

Go to solution Solved by Stu_Bear,

Ummm...you sound like a twitch/fps gamer...if that's the case a 2070 super won't give you the frame rates you want on a 1440p ultrawide.  It would be a stretch on a normal 1440x2560.  My gtx 1080, about 90% the power of a 2070 super, drives my 1080p ultrawide just fine for my liking...it would probably do what you want with the card you own.  If you like fps...I'd highly suggest a 1080p ultrawide.  Any 1080p ultrawide IPS at 144hz should be fine.

Hey guys,

Im recently stuck with my LG 24GM77-B(24inch, 144Hz, 1080p,TN) and as I recently upgraded my PC i was now wondering if it was worth getting an ultrawide/new monitor.

NEW PC: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon, Ryzen 7 3700X, Palit Jetstream RTX2070 SUPER, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4, Samsung 970EVO-PLUS 500GB & 1TB, 1TB Crucial MX1 SSD, Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W 80+ Gold and as for Cooling i got the be quiet! Dark Rock 4 and 4 Silent Wings 3 in the case.

As I immersed in the topic of gaming/ultrawide monitors i just got more and more confused and doubtful....

My first question is if it is worth getting an ultrawide with 1440p instead of 1080p (both 144Hz)?

Then I wonder if I my PC is capable to push games like GTA, PUBG, Warframe, CS:GO, Rocket League, Conquerors Blade, Rainbow and of course Star Citizen on 1440p ultrawide?(I know the only REALLY demanding game im playing is Star Citizen, cuz I dont like the most AAA-titles but probably I´ll go for BO4/MW/BFV/Skull&Bones(if they release it at some point)/ANNO1800 to name a few)

Has anyone also made the decision to go from 16:9 to 21:9 and plays many FPS and can tell me what kind of improvements and also what bad things they experienced?

My current choice would be the LG 34GK950F-B(1440p, 144Hz) although im struggling btw. UW 1440p 144Hz / UW 1080p 144Hz / non-UW 1080p 240Hz / non-UW 1440p 144Hz (I really need help ?)

Btw. I would still use my LG 24GM77-B as a second monitor for all UW and non-UW options for e.g. streaming/binge-watching

I´m open to anything

Why is you price range first of because there could be better upgrades made besides ultra wide and 1080 to 1440. That’s not worth spending the money since the refresh rate is the same, I would definitely check into a higher res or higher refresh probably both If possible.

Why is you price range first of because there could be better upgrades made besides ultra wide and 1080 to 1440. That’s not worth spending the money since the refresh rate is the same, I would definitely check into a higher res or higher refresh probably both If possible.

Ummm...you sound like a twitch/fps gamer...if that's the case a 2070 super won't give you the frame rates you want on a 1440p ultrawide.  It would be a stretch on a normal 1440x2560.  My gtx 1080, about 90% the power of a 2070 super, drives my 1080p ultrawide just fine for my liking...it would probably do what you want with the card you own.  If you like fps...I'd highly suggest a 1080p ultrawide.  Any 1080p ultrawide IPS at 144hz should be fine.

1 minute ago, redbread123 said:

I think you should get a 1080p ultrawide 144hz because 2070 super isn't as powerful as you think.

1080p on 35inch ultrawide is blurry

1 minute ago, redbread123 said:

I think you should get a 1080p ultrawide 144hz because 2070 super isn't as powerful as you think.

My 1060 runs most games 60 at 1440p and 100+ 75percent res scaling so 2070 should do fine

No, you should always consider upgrading GPU and monitor together and budget appropriately.

If your not upgrading monitor then you are only going to gain FPS.

Ultrawide is a sidegrade really, better save up and buy a new GPU and monitor together.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

On 1/14/2020 at 11:15 AM, The Torrent said:

Agreed that it's not crisp, but if your head is in the game and not analyzing the pixels...it works great.

Edit:  I have noticed that 1080p blurry effect is due to quality of the GPU in many instances.  Games played on a PS4 are blurry...games played on a GTX 1080 has much sharper images...ymmv.

I’m using an acer predator monitor that is 4K at 144htz and it’s great so if your looking to upgrade something of this nature is better

I am an FPS player so my input may not be as useful as an esports player but I was trying to help.

17 hours ago, LiXs said:

Hey guys,

Im recently stuck with my LG 24GM77-B(24inch, 144Hz, 1080p,TN) and as I recently upgraded my PC i was now wondering if it was worth getting an ultrawide/new monitor.

NEW PC: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon, Ryzen 7 3700X, Palit Jetstream RTX2070 SUPER, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4, Samsung 970EVO-PLUS 500GB & 1TB, 1TB Crucial MX1 SSD, Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W 80+ Gold and as for Cooling i got the be quiet! Dark Rock 4 and 4 Silent Wings 3 in the case.

As I immersed in the topic of gaming/ultrawide monitors i just got more and more confused and doubtful....

My first question is if it is worth getting an ultrawide with 1440p instead of 1080p (both 144Hz)?

Then I wonder if I my PC is capable to push games like GTA, PUBG, Warframe, CS:GO, Rocket League, Conquerors Blade, Rainbow and of course Star Citizen on 1440p ultrawide?(I know the only REALLY demanding game im playing is Star Citizen, cuz I dont like the most AAA-titles but probably I´ll go for BO4/MW/BFV/Skull&Bones(if they release it at some point)/ANNO1800 to name a few)

Has anyone also made the decision to go from 16:9 to 21:9 and plays many FPS and can tell me what kind of improvements and also what bad things they experienced?

My current choice would be the LG 34GK950F-B(1440p, 144Hz) although im struggling btw. UW 1440p 144Hz / UW 1080p 144Hz / non-UW 1080p 240Hz / non-UW 1440p 144Hz (I really need help ?)

Btw. I would still use my LG 24GM77-B as a second monitor for all UW and non-UW options for e.g. streaming/binge-watching

I´m open to anything

Edit: My Price Range is up to ~1000€/$

My friend has an UW 1080p which he drives with his 1080Ti. He always says that 1080p is enough and 1440p UW would be too much. He kinda pushes me into the ultrawidemasterrace(so I dont really have a choice ?) but I think I will wait and look for a 1080p UW with 144/240Hz. Thank you all for your answers and if you still want to mention a point then please do so. ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 9:15 AM, The Torrent said:

sit closer to your monitor then.....

1 hour ago, redbread123 said:

sit closer to your monitor then.....

then it would be more blurry...

22 hours ago, The Torrent said:

then it would be more blurry...

i give up, like you can get that monitor but you wont get a lot of fps, depends what u want, fps or beauty

11 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

i give up, like you can get that monitor but you wont get a lot of fps, depends what u want, fps or beauty

depends how much your computer is dedicated for gaming and your budget.

Like i res scale to basically 1080p for some games, but everything else (what i use my computer most of the time for such as productivity, music production, media consumption, work, etc, etc,.) is so much better on 1440p as everything is crisper as well as more area on the screen to work on.

On 1/24/2020 at 6:03 PM, The Torrent said:

depends how much your computer is dedicated for gaming and your budget.

Like i res scale to basically 1080p for some games, but everything else (what i use my computer most of the time for such as productivity, music production, media consumption, work, etc, etc,.) is so much better on 1440p as everything is crisper as well as more area on the screen to work on.

I mean, cant I just put the resolution in demanding games to UW 1080p and it would be easy to run? So I can still do work or Play like low-end Games in 1440p???

5 hours ago, LiXs said:

I mean, cant I just put the resolution in demanding games to UW 1080p and it would be easy to run? So I can still do work or Play like low-end Games in 1440p???

Yes