Upgrading my PC from 2012

Coia

Hi everyone,

I’ve never built a PC before and am currently looking to upgrade my current PC.

it currently runs an i7-3770, gtx1050ti, 8gb ddr3 ram and a WD 1tb Hdd, all sitting on a b75ma-p45 motherboard.

In the stickied post of this topic someone mentions choosing a case to help with identifying parts that will fit. The case id prefer to build a new system in would be the fractal design meshify c, however I am open to substitutes of this.

1. Budget & Location
I live in Australia, so AUD$ is my currency, of which I would be willing to spend up to $1100 to upgrade from my current specs.

2. Aim

I plan to use the system for gaming and streaming, so finding the best of both worlds there is important to me.

3. Monitors

I currently am running 2 monitors at 1080p 60hz, however would prefer to bump this to 144hz, and possibly include the 1440p as an option if the price points allow. Keep in mind the monitors do not need to be included into the budget for the build.

4. Peripherals

I won’t need any peripherals, however I am unsure about my Windows license. I currently have one linked to my Microsoft account, however I am unsure if this will transfer over to a new system.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I am upgrading or looking to upgrade my system because my computer currently runs poorly, which I suspected was due to an old hard drive however after replacing did not fix issues of random freezing for a couple seconds etc.

thanks in advance for all the advice and tips!

When you say upgrade, are you looking to keep using your current parts as much as possible, or do you want to start from scratch? The i7-3770 is still no slouch, and stability issues frequently trace back to the motherboard. An 8-year-old MSI board would be a likely candidate for a timely demise.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

If it were me...I'd buy an SSD and copy my old HDD to it...then boot from the SSD and see how she performs.  You are going to want an SSD even if you decide to replace the cpu, mobo, ram & gpu anyhow, right?  Might be the SSD alone will make it perform to the level you want.  If you are committed to a new system...then AMD is your friend.  2600 cpu, 5700 gpu, b450 mobo, 16gb of ddr4 @ 3200mhz....I'm sure you can put that together with that budget.

33 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

When you say upgrade, are you looking to keep using your current parts as much as possible, or do you want to start from scratch? The i7-3770 is still no slouch, and stability issues frequently trace back to the motherboard. An 8-year-old MSI board would be a likely candidate for a timely demise.

Sorry I should have been more specific, at this point in time given the availability of motherboards that support the cpu I have, I believe it would be mostly convenient for me to just buy new hardware, however I would like to retain the 1050ti given that I’m fine with its performance and the games I do currently run are not too load heavy but just enough to cause annoyances for me through day to day use (that being gaming and sometimes streaming), but as you mentioned, is possibly at fault of the motherboard and not the 1050ti 

11 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

If it were me...I'd buy an SSD and copy my old HDD to it...then boot from the SSD and see how she performs.  You are going to want an SSD even if you decide to replace the cpu, mobo, ram & gpu anyhow, right?  Might be the SSD alone will make it perform to the level you want.  If you are committed to a new system...then AMD is your friend.  2600 cpu, 5700 gpu, b450 mobo, 16gb of ddr4 @ 3200mhz....I'm sure you can put that together with that budget.

I do definitely plan on getting an SSD for a new system if I do get one, however I’m unsure as to the config most people use, that being the ratio of gb/tb of ssd/hdd respectively. I’ve heard conflicting opinions on b series motherboards, some say they’re good value and others ive heard say they don’t compare to the x3-4-570 series boards. Clarification on this would be appreciated :)

I'll recommend something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($195.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($107.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($103.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB Video Card  ($438.90 @ Newegg Australia) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($89.00 @ Austin Computers) 
Total: $1085.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-15 19:41 AEDT+1100

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

The main component limiting you in games is your gpu, there's no point in upgrading and keeping the 1050ti. I recommend something like this.

4 hours ago, Coia said:

Sorry I should have been more specific, at this point in time given the availability of motherboards that support the cpu I have, I believe it would be mostly convenient for me to just buy new hardware, however I would like to retain the 1050ti given that I’m fine with its performance and the games I do currently run are not too load heavy but just enough to cause annoyances for me through day to day use (that being gaming and sometimes streaming), but as you mentioned, is possibly at fault of the motherboard and not the 1050ti 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($292.60 @ Newegg Australia) 
Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($216.70 @ Newegg Australia) 
Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($166.10 @ Newegg Australia) 
Storage: Silicon Power A60 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($58.00 @ Umart) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.00 @ BudgetPC) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($114.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Total: $996.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-15 06:46 AEDT+1100

Really good motherboard, lots of RAM (the better to stream you with), about $100 left over for a new GPU if you want to save up. I'm assuming you'll mostly reuse storage and only need an NVMe drive for your OS.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Thanks for the input guys.

I noticed that no cooling in the way of fans and/or an AIO has been chosen, is that because the case provides enough cooling fans within to not worry about having extra?

7 hours ago, boggy77 said:

The main component limiting you in games is your gpu, there's no point in upgrading and keeping the 1050ti. I recommend something like this.

When you say limiting, do you mean that you suspect that the gpu is causing the extra lag etc, or that if I was to upgrade I’d be bottlenecking performance? I understand the bottlenecking, however I’m not sure what you mean by there being no point in keeping it. I also understand that buying a much newer card will lead to much better performance however it isn’t within my budget to be spending the 1400-1500 dollars, and I didn’t want to compromise on other components to accomodate it. 

8 hours ago, Coia said:

Thanks for the input guys.

I noticed that no cooling in the way of fans and/or an AIO has been chosen, is that because the case provides enough cooling fans within to not worry about having extra?

When you say limiting, do you mean that you suspect that the gpu is causing the extra lag etc, or that if I was to upgrade I’d be bottlenecking performance? I understand the bottlenecking, however I’m not sure what you mean by there being no point in keeping it. I also understand that buying a much newer card will lead to much better performance however it isn’t within my budget to be spending the 1400-1500 dollars, and I didn’t want to compromise on other components to accomodate it. 

Ryzen has cpu coolers included which do a decent job. As for case fans, a 5 pack of arctic pwm pst fans is like $30 and they do a great job.

I used limiting, because bottlenecking doesn't really apply in your case. Sure, by upgrading your cpu, you'll get rid of freezes and system sluggishness, but it won't increase your in-game fps, which is tied to the gpu. My build is within your budget and doesn't compromise on quality or anything. I've chose good components and they should form a much better balanced system.

12 hours ago, aisle9 said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($292.60 @ Newegg Australia) 
Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($216.70 @ Newegg Australia) 
Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($166.10 @ Newegg Australia) 
Storage: Silicon Power A60 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($58.00 @ Umart) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.00 @ BudgetPC) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($114.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Total: $996.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-15 06:46 AEDT+1100

Really good motherboard, lots of RAM (the better to stream you with), about $100 left over for a new GPU if you want to save up. I'm assuming you'll mostly reuse storage and only need an NVMe drive for your OS.

That doesn't make any sense...

• Why a 2700x CPU, when r5 2600 is  perfectly fine for streaming.
  • B450 tomahawk max/a pro max/gaming plus max have better vrms than that x470 boards. Also they are cheaper.
  • Ryzen loves fast memory. 3000/3200mhz is ideal fr Ryzen.
  • Cooler master mwe gold 550w PSU is available fr same price as the one that you have got in there. It's modular and is slightly better.
  • The silicon power a60 drive that you have is based on a SMI SM2263XT, which is a DRAM-less controllers. There are many drives with better controllers and NAND flash available at the same price. Maybe you can refer the SSD tier list. 

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W