GPU futureproof dilemma.

ItsTworty

So a while back i purchased an Gigabyte RTX 2060 6gb knowing of it being heavily bottlenecked by my i5-6500 cpu. My dilemma right now is that ive upgraded my pc to a level that wasnt really intended 10 months ago resulting in the reverse effect of my new 3600x being bottlenecked by my 2060.

While this isnt really an issue for me since i mainly play league and other not so heavy titles, there is the instance now and then where me and my friends plays the new battlefield for a month straight. With the new release of the 2060 KO i feel like the resale potential of a rather cheap 2060 card has hit the floor and if i would like to get anything for it i should sell it before the KO models roll out in my country.

For how many years do you guys think that a 2060 will be just fine for until it struggles with newer titles and i will have to upgrade? And what gpu have you guys paired with your ryzen setups?

Main PC:
CPU: Intel i9 - 13900k, Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm

GPU: PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT 16GB,

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite,
Ram: 
G.Skill Trident Z neo C16 3600Mhz 32GB,

PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum.

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL

Gear
Mouse: Logitech G Pro

Keyboard: Iqunix F97 Hitchhiker

Headphones: Philips Fidelio X2HR

Speakers: Yamaha HS7

Mic: 512 Audio skylight

Screens: LG 27GL850 & Samsung 34" Odyssey G5 Samsung

There's no such thing as no bottleneck, everything will be bottlenecked by 1 thing or another.  I'm still on a 1070 with a 3700x and I'm doing fine at 1440p and frequently hit 100+ fps on most games that I play.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

9 minutes ago, ItsTworty said:

For how many years do you guys think that a 2060 will be just fine for until it struggles with newer titles and i will have to upgrade?

On 1080p?

Probably a good amount of years if you are demanding 60fps, provided you are okay with High instead of Ultra settings (which often look just as good).

At higher resolutions, you might at some point need a new GPU, but in the past Nvidia GTX x60 cards lasted about 4-6 years for most people.

If you want 144+ fps, it will depend on the game you're playing.

9 minutes ago, ItsTworty said:

And what gpu have you guys paired with your ryzen setups?

RTX 2070 Super + Ryzen 7 1700. Upgraded from an RX 580.

I feel like this GPU will be all I need for years to come. The CPU is also very much adequate for me at the moment and I don't feel the need to upgrade it currently.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3600+2060 is a good combo, dunno what you're complaining about. The 3600 can handle a 2070s no problem, sure, but you get the most out the gpu and have a bit resources to spare on the 3600 for other stuff running in the background. Having the cpu maxed out and the gpu on low usage results as far as I'm into this in less visual pleasure than the way it is now. I'm running on a 3600 and a 2060s, and most times I still cpu bound because the poor optimization for multicore of the games I play. Only game that really stresses my 2060s is RDR 2 but that's more or less it. for example gta v is so single core bound that I don't see the real big jump from my old system.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Thanks for all the great answers, i always run my main monitor on 144hz and im a total fps junkie when it comes to gaming so i guess im a little narrow minded when it comes to my pc outputting more than 144 just in case. I currently have no plans on switching to 1440p or higher but it is starting to grow on me since my main monitor is starting to show deadpixels :(

Would it be wiser to save the money from buying a new GPU and putting it into a M.2 ssd, 16 more gb of 3600 Mhz ram and a Noctua cpu cooler?

Main PC:
CPU: Intel i9 - 13900k, Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm

GPU: PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT 16GB,

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite,
Ram: 
G.Skill Trident Z neo C16 3600Mhz 32GB,

PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum.

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL

Gear
Mouse: Logitech G Pro

Keyboard: Iqunix F97 Hitchhiker

Headphones: Philips Fidelio X2HR

Speakers: Yamaha HS7

Mic: 512 Audio skylight

Screens: LG 27GL850 & Samsung 34" Odyssey G5 Samsung

1 hour ago, ItsTworty said:

Would it be wiser to save the money from buying a new GPU and putting it into a M.2 ssd, 16 more gb of 3600 Mhz ram and a Noctua cpu cooler?

depending on what you already have:

- nvme m.2 just for the sake of it: no; little to no benefit in loading times compared to a normal ssd and no fps advantage; so only if you run out of storage

- I guess you would be then at 32GB? probably nothing you will need for gaming

- CPU cooler: depends on what you have at the moment, but could be a worthwile investment

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Depends what you expectations are. My 2080ti bottlenecks my 2700x at 1440p as its the weakest link. So for a start you'll always have one bottleneck.

If your happy with 1080p a 970 many years later still plays all the game on the market. But at lower settings and fps.

Key point is though... If you're happy with 1080p you should have saved some money and waited for the next gen of consoles as even they do 4k 60.. You'll be getting a lesser experience for a lot more money.

Building a pc for 1080p gaming makes zero sense these days. And its the sad fact that the next generations of consoles will leave anyone with a 1080p setup behind, especially if the rumours of their 1440p 120hz capabilities are true.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

5 hours ago, ItsTworty said:

Thanks for all the great answers, i always run my main monitor on 144hz and im a total fps junkie when it comes to gaming so i guess im a little narrow minded when it comes to my pc outputting more than 144 just in case. I currently have no plans on switching to 1440p or higher but it is starting to grow on me since my main monitor is starting to show deadpixels :(

I am in a very similar boat to you except I have a Vega 56 bottlenecking the hell out of a 3800X (CPU runs a average of 12-15% utilization in the games I am currently playing).  Ultimately I too want to be able to get 144 fps on every current game at maximum settings but the prognosis for being able to isn't good.

Currently achieving 144 fps at 1080p on every major game is impossible.  Even on a 9900k OC'ed to 5.0 ghz and running a 2080 Ti as yo can't push Metro Exodus or RDR2 up to 144 fps on max/ultra settings running on 1080p and I don't believe you can get 144 fps on RDR2 even when dropping the setting to high instead of ultra.   Trying to hit 144 fps at 1440p is even more challenging and that is where I eventually see myself upgrading to in the next year or two.   

My recommendation, based on a metric ton of research is ultimately you want to shoot for a GPU that gives you a minimum of 70 fps on the most demanding games on whatever resolution you end up with (to account for 1% lows) and count all the games, which should be a fair majority of them, that you manage to hit 144 fps on as a bonus.   

Based on this criteria, I would expect your 2060 should actually last you at least another year which in turn should get you access to the Big NAVI or Ampere, then when they come come out, grab the fastest flagship $1000+ GPU available and you should be golden, at least this is my plan.  If you consider the rumors are saying the next gens top end GPUs should be at least 20% greater performance to a 2080 Ti, one of those cards SHOULD be able to get the magic 144 fps on virtually every game that you need for 144 hz gaming, at least at 1080p.  As for 1440p, well this falls into my minimum criteria of 70 fps on the most demanding titles while still giving 144 fps plus on a majority of titles.  I think this is the best you can hope for to be honest, well unless your willing to drop setting down to High or even Medium on the most demanding titles to push the fps up to 144+