Partition Recovery

Tipman2
Go to solution Solved by Tipman2,

Awesome! Using TestDisk did the job and my HDDs are back in business. Thank you both for replying to this thread!

Last night my computer had a windows update, jump to this morning and I find that my two hard drives are left unallocated and undetected on the My PC tab.

Looking around I realized that my old partitions were still intact and I was looking to restore them but it seems like most pieces of software keep their recovery behind a paywall.

Basically my question is:

Is there a good way to get my partitions back for free or is this something where I need to decided between paying for a service or wiping the drive and starting over?

If I have to just wipe everything then so be it but if there are any ways to get my drives in order again that'd be great.

Thank you for any help! Random software can be kind of sketchy so i wanted to run it past some more in the know people.

I’m going to move on the assumption that this is not actually ransomware.  

Have you tried turning off your computer and turning it back on again?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Yeah, I restarted a few times but to no avail. I also tried to go back to a restore point from a few days ago to see if it would help but that also resulted in nothing.

testdisk can scan a drive for partitions and try to recreate the table.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

testdisk can scan a drive for partitions and try to recreate the table.

He may need help finding testdisk.  I know I don’t know where it is anymore.  Microsoft seems to have hidden all the useful stuff away.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I'm taking a look at TestDisk now, thank you for the recommendation!

Awesome! Using TestDisk did the job and my HDDs are back in business. Thank you both for replying to this thread!

33 minutes ago, Tipman2 said:

I'm taking a look at TestDisk now, thank you for the recommendation!

Use aomei partition assistant, it has recovery wizard is free and maybe works.