Is it worth Upgrading i7-4790k?

Go to solution Solved by Coachdude,

"Worth" is a very subjective thing. Is your current computer doing what you want it to do? Is gaming all you're doing with your computer, or are you multitasking / doing other core intensive things with it as well? Depending on what you do with the computer is going to affect the answers you get. 

My opinion, if you're doing things that can definitely benefit from a modern multi-core processor, go for a Ryzen 5 3600 or 3700X. The 9700K is a gimped processor that will not age well at all. In 2020, you want a processor that has SMT or Hyperthreading, as that's what has allowed your current processor to remain as relevant for as long as it has, and if you want this upgrade to last just as long or longer, do not get a processor that lacks this feature. 

Gaming wise you're going to be mostly limited by your graphics card, but I can see why you'd want to upgrade your platform for more intensive triple A games or other reasons. I'd personally wait on upgrading your graphics card until Nvidia's next generation series of graphics cards are out, as that would see that you've obtained adequate value of your current graphics card through several years of use. Additionally, if you're wanting to play next generation games released during the next gen console time frame, you're going to want to be on at least 6 cores and 12 threads. For the price the 3600 is going for, it would still make an excellent upgrade over your current Quad Core. If you're wanting to future-proof a bit, go with the 3700X. 

The 9700K is what the 9600K should have been, as i5 class processors have traditionally lacked hyperthreading, and aged less gracefully as a result. The i9 9900K is what this generation's i7 should have been, evidenced by the fact that Intel's next generation lineup will have the 10700K featuring this exact configuration. 

TLDR: For gaming you're mostly going to be gpu bound, and a platform upgrade is only going to get you so far for gaming purposes only ( Obviously dependent on the games in question ). But, your platform is old enough now that you really should be considering an upgrade anyways if you want to have hope of running a lot of current generation and next generation triple A games at high levels of detail. With the advent of Ryzen, core counts have Ryzen, and thus game requirements will as well, as next generation console games will have access to 8 cores and 16 threads of Zen 2 processing power. As for gpu, I'd stick with your 1070 for one more generation, as it's still a decently capable card, and upgrade to the 70 class of Nvidia's next generation of gpus. Or AMD's Big Navi whenever that happens to release and looks promising enough. Intel's and Nvidia's next generation products are going to be released next year as well, so if you're partial to the Intel/Nvidia setup waiting it out is also a perfectly valid option as well. Hope this helped.  

Hey all. 

Now we at 2020:

Is it worth upgrading the next build:

CPU: i7-4790k

MB: Asus Hero 7

RAM: HyperX Beast 1600mhz 16GB

To a: CPU: i7-9700K

MB: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) LGA1151v2, Intel Z390

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3000MHz CL16 Kit

The GPU is GTX 1070 MSI Gaming X

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

Do you feel like you need an upgrade?

If it's working for what you want it to, I don't see why you'd need one

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, keavlar said:

Hey all. 

Now we at 2020:

Do you have stutter in any game? Have you delidded and overclocked your cpu? If not, then you might want to do that before upgrading :)

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

you have pretty beast System for old PC. imeant the only one is old are CPU mobo and RAM. but 4790K i think still good.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

6 minutes ago, keavlar said:

6 minutes ago, keavlar said:

GTX 1070 MSI Gaming X

they make a good pair. you won't benefit much by upgrading cpu without also upgrading gpu. valid the other way around as well.

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Do you feel like you need an upgrade?

If it's working for what you want it to, I don't see why you'd need one

I bought NVME ssd samsung 970  pro plus, but didn't knew then that My Mb does not support this speeds. 
Also in PUBG I do feel like i Could have beter performance 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

2 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

you have pretty beast System for old PC. imeant the only one is old are CPU mobo and RAM. but 4790K i think still good.

Thx. Maybe worth noting, that I will not be just losing money on that , I will be selling this parts. 

So instead of paying 1040 USD 

I will be paying something like only Half.

I was wondering if it better to upgrade the GPU or get a 144 monitor. 

11 minutes ago, keavlar said:

Thx. Maybe worth noting, that I will not be just losing money on that , I will be selling this parts. 

So instead of paying 1040 USD 

I will be paying something like only Half.

I was wondering if it better to upgrade the GPU or get a 144 monitor. 

Get a 144hz monitor instead. Pubg won't make any difference when using more than 4 cores with hyperthreading anyways. Delid that CPU, maybe get a better cooler and overclock to 5ghz or so.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, DoctorNick said:

Get a 144hz monitor instead. Pubg won't make any difference when using more than 4 cores with hyperthreading anyways. Delid that CPU, maybe get a better cooler and overclock to 5ghz or so.

Have noctua. Temp never over 60

My friend get better performance. With new CPU 

If your decision is already set then why do you ask in the first place? So far not one agrees with your decision. Would you pay $500 for your used setup anyway or do you just expect to find someone who does? Prices 2nd hand are quite low, for a reason.

Did you try 1866+ with the HyperX Beast? Did you overclock anyway? Do you use throttlestop?

When your friend gets better performance, maybe there's more to it than just the better CPU (which would be what CPU)?

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

If your decision is already set then why do you ask in the first place? So far not one agrees with your decision. Would you pay $500 for your used setup anyway or do you just expect to find someone who does? Prices 2nd hand are quite low, for a reason.

Did you try 1866+ with the HyperX Beast? Did you overclock anyway? Do you use throttlestop?

When your friend gets better performance, maybe there's more to it than just the better CPU (which would be what CPU)?

XD. 

I will upgrade  just the Monitor for 144 hz 2k. 

He upgraded CPU MB Ram,  and has htx 970 versus mine 1070. 

Asking to see what every one will say. 

The other reason for me thinking to update My nvme not support with this mb, 

so lost in performance. 

I see people getting much higher FPS in game i play, with same preferences, even when i Overclock

So there's something very odd when your friend - while having a somewhat slower and older gpu - still outpaces you. The nmve should deliver up to 10Gb/s on this very board, about 1000mbyte/s transfer while benchmarked at peak. Yes, you're not reaching these 3500mbyte/s but it's still quite fast. Alas, it doesn't have influence on fps, neither will a better nvme-solution. 

Still, there are questions left unanswered and so far it seems that your rig is running with handbrakes pulled all the time.

2 hours ago, keavlar said:

Hey all. 

Now we at 2020:

MB: Asus Hero 7

RAM: HyperX Beast 1600mhz 16GB

To a: CPU: i7-9700K

MB: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) LGA1151v2, Intel Z390

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3000MHz CL16 Kit

The GPU is GTX 1070 MSI Gaming X

For sure i wouldn't waste money on a CPU with no HT. 

9700K is such a silly CPU that should cost $100 less. That said the 4790K can easily OC to 4.6+Ghz and give you a nice boost. I'd wait for the Ryzen 4000 series or for Intel to finally make a 10nm CPU for the desktop(with higher IPC) before upgrading. 

18 minutes ago, SMBGUY said:

9700K is such a silly CPU that should cost $100 less. That said the 4790K can easily OC to 4.6+Ghz and give you a nice boost. I'd wait for the Ryzen 4000 series or for Intel to finally make a 10nm CPU for the desktop(with higher IPC) before upgrading. 

Thisssss

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

49 minutes ago, SMBGUY said:

Mine oc to 4.8 

About IPC  - how do you even know, how much your cpu has. I couldnt find .

29 minutes ago, keavlar said:

Mine oc to 4.8 

Run a single thread cinebench test; look at the result and compare it with other generation CPUs with the same clock speed. That's pretty close although not necessarily representative of every scenario.

Then compare with your CPUs maximum frequency capability, and then those other CPUs maximum capabilities, and you will find real world "single thread performance"

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

"Worth" is a very subjective thing. Is your current computer doing what you want it to do? Is gaming all you're doing with your computer, or are you multitasking / doing other core intensive things with it as well? Depending on what you do with the computer is going to affect the answers you get. 

My opinion, if you're doing things that can definitely benefit from a modern multi-core processor, go for a Ryzen 5 3600 or 3700X. The 9700K is a gimped processor that will not age well at all. In 2020, you want a processor that has SMT or Hyperthreading, as that's what has allowed your current processor to remain as relevant for as long as it has, and if you want this upgrade to last just as long or longer, do not get a processor that lacks this feature. 

Gaming wise you're going to be mostly limited by your graphics card, but I can see why you'd want to upgrade your platform for more intensive triple A games or other reasons. I'd personally wait on upgrading your graphics card until Nvidia's next generation series of graphics cards are out, as that would see that you've obtained adequate value of your current graphics card through several years of use. Additionally, if you're wanting to play next generation games released during the next gen console time frame, you're going to want to be on at least 6 cores and 12 threads. For the price the 3600 is going for, it would still make an excellent upgrade over your current Quad Core. If you're wanting to future-proof a bit, go with the 3700X. 

The 9700K is what the 9600K should have been, as i5 class processors have traditionally lacked hyperthreading, and aged less gracefully as a result. The i9 9900K is what this generation's i7 should have been, evidenced by the fact that Intel's next generation lineup will have the 10700K featuring this exact configuration. 

TLDR: For gaming you're mostly going to be gpu bound, and a platform upgrade is only going to get you so far for gaming purposes only ( Obviously dependent on the games in question ). But, your platform is old enough now that you really should be considering an upgrade anyways if you want to have hope of running a lot of current generation and next generation triple A games at high levels of detail. With the advent of Ryzen, core counts have Ryzen, and thus game requirements will as well, as next generation console games will have access to 8 cores and 16 threads of Zen 2 processing power. As for gpu, I'd stick with your 1070 for one more generation, as it's still a decently capable card, and upgrade to the 70 class of Nvidia's next generation of gpus. Or AMD's Big Navi whenever that happens to release and looks promising enough. Intel's and Nvidia's next generation products are going to be released next year as well, so if you're partial to the Intel/Nvidia setup waiting it out is also a perfectly valid option as well. Hope this helped.  

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /

4 hours ago, Coachdude said:

Werd on the 9900k.

Intel's entire 9th gen lineup was a rushed joke.

They honestly should have just kept selling 8th gen at reduced costs and expedited what will be the 10th gen as 9th gen. I would have recommended a $249 8700 or $279 8700k for DAYS over the $199 2600.....but oh well.

That would have been better.

5 hours ago, keavlar said:

Mine oc to 4.8 

Haswell and Ryzen 1000 series has about the same IPC in applications but in games due to mainly the infinity fabric being tied to memory, IPC was a bit less in games for that gen maybe 5% or so worse compared to Haswell. Intel improved IPC by around 10% on the newer CPU's where with Zen+ Amd improved the memory controller allowing for 3466mhz to be easily achievable allowing the CPU to have higher IPC using that memory speed. 

With Zen 2 Amd made several improvements to the cache and branch predictor as well as intercore latency(and more) which improved its IPC greatly by 15% from Zen 1 which allows it to match Intel's latest in gaming per cycle while beating it by 10% in applications per cycle, again soon Amd will have higher IPC even in gaming with Zen 3  as Amd will no longer be using 4 core CCX's but instead 8 cores per ccx and latency between cores in the same CCX is very low much lower then intel mine is 26.7ns compared to Intel's latest at 45ns.

What this means is a CPU with 10% higher IPC will be faster then anouther CPU by 10% at the same frequency. 

CPU A 4400Mhz+10%  IPC= 4840mhz like performance 

CPU B 4800Mhz 

Where basically going back to the Athlon days in a way where Amd will have higher IPC but Intel will have higher clock speeds but this time around not by much as Amd is even improving frequency with each gen

Edit here is a great comparison of IPC with Intel's latest and Amd's 

https://www.techspot.com/article/1876-4ghz-ryzen-3rd-gen-vs-core-i9/

Lol makes me angry at the idiot commentators in the article we already know what clocks higher we can read numbers that has nothing to do with how a CPU architecture can scale with frequency back in the day we ALWAYS compared CPU's this way as it showed what the architecture itself brought to the table in terms of performance per cycle which is extremely important as typically refreshes like what we have seen with Intel since coffee-lake has the same IPC but higher frequency's and more cores. 

14 hours ago, keavlar said:

Have noctua. Temp never over 60

My friend get better performance. With new CPU 

ofc bruh its new cpu.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

Your display might be bottle necking your FPS, Samsung is not the best overall for gaming. I do have two of their displays for media over game play.

Saw that your OS is Win7 it might run faster if you move onto Win10. My older desktop which is older then your current setup ran better when I installed Win10 over keeping Win7. I had a MOBO: MSI Big Bang XPower II (MS-7737), CPU: i7-3930K, EVGA GTX 660 Ti, Boot Disk: Samsung 830 256 GB, RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 32GB  at 1600MHZ.

I only original replaced it due to wanting to build a new computer, but the above mentioned computer MOBO just died in sparks. So for reliability I would understand to upgrading your system.

Id grade, aren't many scenarios that id bother to keep such a cpu. Glade I got rid of mine, couldn't handle much and was a huge handicap. Sold mine  for $200usd right before all these new cpus came out.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 1/10/2020 at 4:24 PM, keavlar said:

XD. 

I will upgrade  just the Monitor for 144 hz 2k. 

He upgraded CPU MB Ram,  and has htx 970 versus mine 1070. 

Asking to see what every one will say. 

The other reason for me thinking to update My nvme not support with this mb, 

so lost in performance. 

I see people getting much higher FPS in game i play, with same preferences, even when i Overclock

If your friend with a 970 get better performance than you, something is wrong. Then I would reinstall windows, beause the last couple of version updates 1803-1809-1903-1909 did do some serious fuckery. Download newest Iso from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Install windows while being offline and stay offline while installing drivers. Remember to disable automatic driver installation. https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

Get drivers for MB here: https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

I can recommend this studio driver for 10 series cards: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/154342/en-us

Did you already OC your CPU? If not, try that. I promise you, if you delid, then your temps will be perfect with NH-D15. Overclock using offset voltage.

Even at stock, in most games, you'll get better performance than Ryzen 2. You might want to try stock settings just to test out if something is wrong with your OC.

FS in Denmark/EU:

4 minutes ago, RetroGeneral said:

?? 

most of the time my windows reinstalling strategy is let windows install all the updates for a couple of days and after those days are over install the games, all games work fine then install all of the extra programs you want to use ….

concerning the upgrade 

yes of course 

? For a couple of days

FS in Denmark/EU: