i5 6600k need some help

Hey everyone,

I want to start by saying I'm a complete beginner on this, so don't judge my thinking, I'm here to ask YOU for help.

I've recently started playing Battlefield 5 on my pc, it has an i5 6600K cooled by the Corsair H100i and an ASUS 980ti strix (6gb)

I noticed that my CPU always goes to 100% at 65-67°C, while my GPU is only at 80% (70°C)

I thought those CPU temperatures were very high for running @ 4.5Ghz. so I did some further investigating and found out that it's running on 1.44 Vcore voltage.

the Vcore is set to AUTO in the BIOS.

I'm trying to get more out of my pc while maintaining +- 65°C on my CPU

do I have a really bad chip or is the AUTO voltage setting just really bad?

spacer.png

The auto setting is always much higher than needed. You may be able to get 5ghz with that voltage. If you're overclocking, then set a -offset vcore in bios. For 4.5ghz try hitting 1.2-1.25v under load.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

23 minutes ago, Gedigan123 said:

or is the AUTO voltage setting just really bad?

^this

always use manual voltage when overclocking. that being said,

24 minutes ago, Gedigan123 said:

I noticed that my CPU always goes to 100% at 65-67°C, ...

I thought those CPU temperatures were very high for running @ 4.5Ghz

67 degrees is far from "very high," that's for sure

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

12 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

The auto setting is always much higher than needed. You may be able to get 5ghz with that voltage. If you're overclocking, then set a -offset vcore in bios. For 4.5ghz try hitting 1.2-1.25v under load.

thank you, I just did a cinebench r20 test, these are the results

T68kKga.png

I also have some questions, why does it say 3.51 GHz and not 4.5 GHz?

also if i under volt my CPU, will i still be able to get in the bios to set it back?

do core speeds affect CPU temperatures? or is it only affected by the voltage? (if yes that means that with 1.44V I will always get +- 76°C like above?

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

^this

always use manual voltage when overclocking. that being said,

67 degrees is far from "very high," that's for sure

okay thank you, i read on google the max temperature for it is 72°C so it seemed high to me

could you check out the reply i just did? maybe you know some answers :)

Cinebench does not accurately report MHz. Try using HWiNFO. Your MHz look OK.

Maz temp is 100C. The temp rating you found online is not core temp so it is not relevant.

Both voltage and MHz increase temps.

1 minute ago, unclewebb said:

Cinebench does not accurately report MHz. Try using HWiNFO. Your MHz look OK.

Maz temp is 100C. The temp rating you found online is not core temp so it is not relevant.

Both voltage and MHz increase temps.

thanks that helps a lot

18 minutes ago, Gedigan123 said:

thank you, I just did a cinebench r20 test, these are the results

also if i under volt my CPU, will i still be able to get in the bios to set it back?

do core speeds affect CPU temperatures? or is it only affected by the voltage? (if yes that means that with 1.44V I will always get +- 76°C like above?

Cool, the results are like they should be.

Yes, and yes. Higher speeds will affect amps used. Voltage may not change (depends on what you set). You could try 5ghz on auto, just to check what voltage you get. And yes get HWinfo64 and check vcore etc.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 hour ago, DoctorNick said:

Cool, the results are like they should be.

Yes, and yes. Higher speeds will affect amps used. Voltage may not change (depends on what you set). You could try 5ghz on auto, just to check what voltage you get. And yes get HWinfo64 and check vcore etc.

sorry for my late reply, i've done some testing etc.

I'm currently 4.7Ghz, and turned volts to 1.380, I did the cinebench test again and it didn't crash, it peaked to 75°C once for a split second, but usually was around 73°C

had it at 1.375Volts before but it crashed, although I'm completely clueless why it did..

I thought this were the currents it was drawing,  am i wrong? qjeeUcR.png

so i first thought i could lower it even more from 1.375V but then it crashed..

well I guess there are other factors that I don't know anything about..