BSODs and don't know why.

Hey there,

Last year in November, I bought new computer parts and built my first own computer. At first sight, everything worked fined and no problems occured. Later on, i kept getting BSOD's but I dont get the reason why ...

First of all, here are my specs:

Mainboard:   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

BIOS:           7B17v171 (tested 7B17v16 as well)

CPU:            i-9 9900KS

CPU-Fan:    Noctua NH-D15

GPU:           Nvidia RTX 2080 Super (Palit Gamerock)

PSU:           be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 750W

Drive:          WD SSD 500GB Blue Pc M.2

Memory:     Crucial DIMM 32GB DDR-4 2666MHz (Slot 2,4)  (I know, its not a good one)

I didn't overclock anything myself or changed anything in BIOS (at first). XMP is not supported.

At first, it started with "whea_uncorrectable_error" and usually happened in idle. It rarely crashed while at max power/perfomance. I tried to update all drivers, deactivated unnecessary drivers and searching for driver faults.

I used "sfc /scannow", the windows feature to detect Memory and Drive faults and used MemTest86 (3 runs with 0 errors). Windows debugger often said that the proccess "audiodg.exe" is faulty but i updated every audio driver and its not fixed.

I tried to use the memory in single channel instead of dual channel and it didnt help.

Later on (about 2-3 Weeks ago) i reinstalled windows and the first 3-4 days it didnt crash but now starting again. I changed some values in bios but nothing changed.

I changed cpu sa to 1.18V and io to 1.1V and memory voltage to 1.32V. I "downclocked" the memory to 2444MHz "DDR4-2400 (18x100.00x1.33)" and still crashing.

I hope i didnt forget anything and I'm sorry for my bad language ... Its not my main language :)

Ah, and I uploaded some old dumpfiles (before i reinstalled windows), some new and some other stuff that might be helpful.

Thanks for you help,

Marcel

Cpu-Z.jpg

DumpFiles.rar perfmon.html DumpFiles_old.rar

Crashed are mostly hardware related, but...

Years ago I had problem with freezing system. I replaced every part of my PC one by one and at the end I started looking for drivers related problem on internet. And it was NEW Nvidia driver (over 314.22 - years ago, I know) that causes problem with 5xx series card for many people. I revert to older driver and crashes stops. It was strange, because system reports... CPU problem. So - analysing dump files may be helpful but not always. Computer can't really diagnose himself, it only can show when something was wrong and what was direct reason for crash. It's always good to find people who have similar problem on internet (Nvidia forum, MSI etc). You may try to install older drivers - new doesn't mean bug free (even 5 years old drivers was fresh and new - 5 years ago).

I am going to guess this is a driver issue, because when i first got my system, I got a RX 570, and stuck it in my machine, it worked, but after a little while it gave me BSOD's constantly. I would install the oldest RTX driver and try that, if that doesnt work, do the second oldest, and keep going until your system doesnt crash. if it doesnt work after a few drivers, Downclock your GPU in MSI Afterburner, and keep going until your system boots up without BSOD ing.

Really to troubleshoot this you want default BIOS values for voltage, clock speed and RAM (with the exception of if you have RAM that uses XMP and doesnt run at the right values with default BIOS settings). I cant tell you how many weird and random BSOD issues ive had with what has been a stable OC on intel and AMD systems on one program or game when all other games work fine. It may well be software but as you have done a clean install It is a less likely reason. I would start by making a backup of your BIOS settings and setting them back to factory. Adjust anything you need to look boot drive order and fan settings but try and keep it as stock as possible and dont touch any voltages as they should work out the box. If you still get crashing then it is either hardware fault or software causing it (but normally that error is CPU clockspeed/voltage related). 

CPU - i5 4670K || Motherboard - Asus Z87-C  || RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tactical Memory 8GB || GPU - ASUS GTX 970 Strix || Case - Corsair 330R || Storage - 1TB Seagate || PSU - Corsair CX750 || Displays - AOC 21.5 LED x2 || Cooling - Arctic F12 PWM (x2) Corsair 120+140mm || Keyboard - Corsair K70 MX Red || Mouse - Roccat Kova+ || Sound - Thermaltake TTe Shock Headset

Thanks for the replies,

It could really be a windows or nvidia driver ... As I told the computer didnt crash after i reinstalled windows but i didnt reboot it for days because I was still downloading stuff. At this point, I didnt have new drivers. 

I think, its worth a try to install older drivers.

I'll reset my BIOS settings as well, because I have a weird feeling about having custom values because I'm far from beeing an expert at this topic... 

I think I will also downgrade the BIOS version to 7B17v16 because its the last "stable" version and I'm currently using a beta.

• 4 weeks later...

I got exact same Problem with my i9 9900ks + msi z 390 pro bsods mostly at idle. Sended it for Repairs second time alrdy but manufacturer says all fine.pc is 1 montiert old its clean well cooled and all drivers are up to date.