Hello World! & and how many of you guys use Linux?

previously i have used ubuntu and elemental os luna. but now i use arch, as it is a good way to learn more about linux

Arch user here too, pretty much exclusively use Linux

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I love Linux, I'm hopping steam os pushes more game devs to work on Linux games. Gaming is the only reason I use dreaded Windows. I've used a lot of Linux distros but my favorite is arch. I love the versatility.

No games no linux

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

I've got Debian 7 on my VPS, Arch on my laptop and Raspberry Pi, then ESXi on my server with Linux and FreeBSD VMs. I'd have Linux on my desktop if I didn't have games and programs I need for school that only run on Windows/OSX, but that list is slowly decreasing.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

If by Linux you mean terminal windows, vi text editing, hacking conf files in /etc/SERVICE/*.conf, making scripts to do stuff automatically and stuff like that yea I have and do. If by Linux you mean a super fancy GUI that has sparkles and window effects, egh...

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

If by Linux you mean terminal windows, vi text editing, hacking conf files in /etc/SERVICE/*.conf, making scripts to do stuff automatically and stuff like that yea I have and do. If by Linux you mean a super fancy GUI that has sparkles and window effects, egh...

This is fancy enough for me https://mediacru.sh/_APHtKOnYOlZ ^.^

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Yep I use linux mint for gaming and puppy dog linux to play ftl off a memory card at work. Only use windows when I have to

meh a little bit of both i use linux all around :P

I use Ubuntu based distro on my VM to compile Android Kernels and i have to say that is has been awesome experience aside from slowdowns due to VM it has been great experience for me. I love its UI its clean and simple to me.

My Rigs:

Spoiler

System 1:

Spoiler

Purpose: Gaming

OS: Windows 10 Pro | CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 | Mobo: Asrock B150M Pro4 Hyper | GPU: MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G | Storage: 120GB SSD ADATA + 1 TB Seagate Baracuda | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz | PSU: 600 Watt Cooler Master B600 | Display: LG 24MP88HM-S FHD Monitor | Accessories: ASUS Cerberus Gaming KB & Mouse Kit

System 2:

Spoiler

Purpose - NAS/Virtualization

OS: Ubuntu KDE 18.04 | CPU: Core i3 4130 | Mobo: Gigabyte H81M DS2 | RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600Mhz | PSU: Corsair VS550 | DVD Drive: LG DVD Multi | Display: Acer G195HQ | Storage: 4TB 1+1+2 | Accessories: Logitech Classic K100 & Leviathan ELE G1 Gaming Mouse.

Laptop: Lenovo Essentials B490

Spoiler

Purpose: Server - HP ProLiant DL360 Gen5

OS: Ubuntu Server 18.04 | CPU: 2 x Intel® Xeon® Processor E5440 4 Cores | RAM : 16 GB DDR2 ECC | Storage: 146GB SAS Disk

Sound System: Creative SBS A-120 2.1

I have used Ubuntu, elementary and linux mint on my netbook because it runs windows like crap and i have stayed with mint 16 xfce, it is awesome and everything worked out of the box exept the wifi driver that i had to search "broadcom" in the software center, installed the program, reboot and it worked. Elementary OS is pretty but i wanted something faster and Ubuntu is the slowest of the bunch and i think for a windows user mint would be easier to use.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I use linux right now(Ubuntu 12.04 LTC).All the distributions are great but when it comes to gaming Linux have  major problems.Most games don't support linux and this is why I'll switch to windows 7 as soon as my gpu arrives.Overall if you are not up to gaming Linux is the way out!

C++,Assembly,Reverse Engineering,Penetration testing,Malware analysis

Do you have a question?Are you interested in programming?Do you like solving complex problems?Hit me up with a pm.

Have a home server running Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS/Virtualmin/Plex/Deluge/Samba. Pretty happy with this setup.

Have used OpenSuse/KDE as daily OS few years ago but kinda was missing some stuff from windows world.

Currently work gets done on OSX Mavericks and this thing sometimes is driving me nuts. Maybe it was a bad upgrade from Lion or something, but some programs just stops responding, time to time just crashes. Lion was damn stable. There's also bunch of annoying things I wouldn't mind switching to Linux. Sorry Windows, you can't handle Ruby developers needs.

Using Windows 7 and 8.1 at home. So I'm all for choosing best OS depending on situation.

To be honest few years ago I was cocky bastard that thought the linux was crap and I never would use that.

First experience with linux was at university. There were requirements that our c and c++ need to be compiled with gcc with specific settings.

First distro that I have tried was ubuntu 11.10. UI looked quite good at that time. But there was major problem I have only pc and it's laptop with intel cpu and amd graphics card. There is problem that with open source drivers it always keep on both integrated and dedicated graphics (at that time there were no dynamic power management on dedicated gpu). So it ran always hot and loud. So I never used it besides writing programs in c and c++.

I remember I have tried ubuntu 12.04 and it had same issues with heat, so I never used it.

Later I tried ubuntu 12.10 it was catastrophe. 

Later took additional course Ruby course in which lecturer highly recommended to use linux.

So I jumped on ubuntu 13.04. For me that was phenomenal distro, I have found way to completely disable dedicated graphics card.  So I started using ubuntu as daily driver. But I started to dislike unity and the canonical future plans. 

In this summer I have jumped to Elementary OS Luna. That's pretiest distro I have ever used. It has amazing and simplistic UI. But I had some problems that it was based on old ubuntu 12.04 LTS. 

Just after linux mint petra release I have switched to it. Have been good daily driver. First time I have wiped my windows and never missed it again :D . Had one annoying issue probably related to my hardware. 

So I swiched to openSUSE 13.1. First time wen't to different with not debian based distro.  It was good daily driver, but I wanted to try out rolling release. 

Now for one week I'm sitting with SolydX. I love that it is rolling release, every 3 month they release update pack. Probably it will stay my daily driver for rest of the life of this laptop. 

Now using windows in virtual machine for course work feels just awkward.

Someday when I'll build a PC. I will have windows installed, but I will boot to windows only when I want to play game that isn't ported to linux.

And to be honest now hardware support and detection isn't bad at all on linux. Most of wireless cards work out of the box.

Who would ever guest that from linux hater I became linux lover :) .

Now for one week I'm sitting with SolydX. I love that it is rolling release, every 3 month they release update pack. Probably it will stay my daily driver for rest of the life of this laptop.

That doesn't look like a rolling release in the strict sense, it may not have versioning but an update pack every 3 months is still a set release patten, look at ArchLinux, everything gets updated through the repositories and the repositories try to stay as up to date as possible, You should try it out

That doesn't look like a rolling release in the strict sense, it may not have versioning but an update pack every 3 months is still a set release patten, look at ArchLinux, everything gets updated through the repositories and the repositories try to stay as up to date as possible, You should try it out

I would call it semi rolling release. Maybe I'll try someday, but I don't want to deal with package breakages or bugs. They test for 15 days before releasing update pack. I don't mind sitting with few month old software and kernel. 

I would call it semi rolling release. Maybe I'll try someday, but I don't want to deal with package breakages or bugs. They test for 15 days before releasing update pack. I don't mind sitting with few month old software and kernel.

Sounds about right, and if you get some time, do try arch, you'll be pleasantly surprised, and I rarely get problems with the packages, normally its only to do with the catalyst drivers.

I do have it on my laptop as it's a more pelasant user experince compared

to the somewhat slow and admin restricted windows.

But I still wan't to throw it out and use windows sometimes.

Reasons being onenote and extremely uncooperative wireless card and problems with some auth-certificates

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum