Aftermarket cooling for a GTX 1080

SpaceOctopus

Hi there,

I have a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G.

The cooler on this card has never been on the quiet side, but with the sub-par fan control and the fans deteriorating over time it has become really loud.

Are there any good options to swap out the stock cooler for an aftermarket one?

I have looked at custom liquid cooling, but the prices are hardly worth it for a card that I will probably swap in a year or two. 

There are of course various options for third party coolers out there. From full cooling blocks like the Arctic Accelero Xtreme line to adapter solutions like the Kraken G12, I'd be willing to consider any of them.

Does anyone have any experience with these aftermarket solutions? I don't know what to even really look for. Is there a recommended / common option?

Thank you!

Kraken G12 and an AIO would be the route to go honestly.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Why not wait nVidia's 7nm RTX 3000 series and just buy a new video card altogether? Sounds a bit pointless invest on a high end aftermarket cooler for a 4 years old card.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

@Skiiwee29 Do you have any experience with these adapters? They look like a good option, but I am not sure what radiator size I would need. Also they seem to require some sort of VRM heat sink.

@Princess Luna Like I said, for me there is probably still a year or two of life in that card. I mostly found the adapter brackets for normal AiOs quite interesting since I could still use the AiO for other projects afterwards. That way I'd only lose the cost of the adapter. Even then, I could also use the adapter for other cards.

AiO's also cost money and they aren't exactly all that better noise wise, you'll need to buy aftermarket fans as well to try getting it silent... and the layout on cards are always changing so I don't know about this "use it afterwards" idea.

Not only that you have to ensure the card still gets air flow for the VRM and Memory as the AiO will only cover the GPU die.

The solution is not really good to the point I can recommend it but you're free to try it out.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, SpaceOctopus said:

Hi there,

I have a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G.

The cooler on this card has never been on the quiet side, but with the sub-par fan control and the fans deteriorating over time it has become really loud.

Are there any good options to swap out the stock cooler for an aftermarket one?

I have looked at custom liquid cooling, but the prices are hardly worth it for a card that I will probably swap in a year or two. 

There are of course various options for third party coolers out there. From full cooling blocks like the Arctic Accelero Xtreme line to adapter solutions like the Kraken G12, I'd be willing to consider any of them.

Does anyone have any experience with these aftermarket solutions? I don't know what to even really look for. Is there a recommended / common option?

Thank you!

Did you tried contacting Gigabyte ? Maybe they can send you new cooler if this one is faulty. 
If not than yes G12 and aio will be your best option, just check for compatibility before you get any aio for that

233E507C-E316-45F8-8C63-14562FC4808E.png

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Hi @Whiro,

I have not contacted Gigabyte yet. Mostly because I find the idea of alternative GPU cooling solutions interesting and thought I'd use the opportunity to gather some experience in that area.

The G12 really seems like the way to go. Looks like this is one of those things that everyone except me already knew about (going by the wealth of videos about that thing).

I have looked into what other users reported on gtx1080 + G12 combinations and the results look rather impressive.

Seems that even a small AiO like the X42 or even the H55 will work just fine.

I should also mention that I am not looking for a super budget solution here, this would be a project that I am willing to put some money into. I just found full custom liquid cooling to be far too expensive to make any sort of sense for me.

6 minutes ago, SpaceOctopus said:

Hi @Whiro,

I have not contacted Gigabyte yet. Mostly because I find the idea of alternative GPU cooling solutions interesting and thought I'd use the opportunity to gather some experience in that area.

The G12 really seems like the way to go. Looks like this is one of those things that everyone except me already knew about (going by the wealth of videos about that thing).

I have looked into what other users reported on gtx1080 + G12 combinations and the results look rather impressive.

Seems that even a small AiO like the X42 or even the H55 will work just fine.

I should also mention that I am not looking for a super budget solution here, this would be a project that I am willing to put some money into. I just found full custom liquid cooling to be far too expensive to make any sort of sense for me.

Yes you right full custom loop is usually quite expensive ( if you going proper way, not trying to hunt cheap af parts from ebay or similar sides). 
If you want to have a bit of fun than yes the G12 is way to go, great solution to replace faulty cooling on the gpu. 
In the past I’ve used g12 and it worked great. Also I went different way and just attached normal 120mm fans into gpu heatsink using cable ties ? looks junky but worked amazingly well. There is always some solution to the problem if you willing to have a try with different options. 

i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Hi, I have the G12 with there 180mm aio from nzxt. I have it hooked up on my 1080ti that I bought used. It runs at lower noise levels now. It never goes over 60c. I love it and it keep my system really quite.

@Lordofcheez that sounds really nice.

Did you use any additional heatsinks on the VRAM and/or VRMs?

It appears like it's not necessary to do so, but I am thinking about using some anyway since they are really cheap to add.

@Whiro, @Lordofcheez

Update on this matter:
I have installed the G12 yesterday with a Corsair H55.
Surprisingly easy to set up.

Idle temps are amazing so far, 34°C on the desktop and 35°C when running a light load like Factorio. (at 20°C room temperature)

Now I only need to find a fan control of some sort that allows me to bind the cooling to the gpu temperature.
What did you use for that?

late udpate:

I just found the "OpenFanControl" tool in another thread on here, gonna try that later.

@Whiro, @Lordofcheez

Probably final update:

Got OpenFanControl to work, gonna submit my patch for the mainboard to Libre Hardware Monitor asap to get it generally supported.

Cooling is working perfectly. I am getting constant 56°C at 100% load which is a lot lower than before while the cooler is also much more quiet than the original one.

Thank you all for your help with this.

3 hours ago, SpaceOctopus said:

@Whiro, @Lordofcheez

Probably final update:

Got OpenFanControl to work, gonna submit my patch for the mainboard to Libre Hardware Monitor asap to get it generally supported.

Cooling is working perfectly. I am getting constant 56°C at 100% load which is a lot lower than before while the cooler is also much more quiet than the original one.

Thank you all for your help with this.

Glad it worked for you ?

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO