I need a relay that works on DC power

Islam Ghunym

I have a mini power saving PC that uses a 65 W GTX 1060 and a 31 W I3 8th gen. It works on a DC 6-36V input power supply. I attached it to a deep cycle lead acid gel battery group.

What I need is a DC relay that works on this DC lines so it can switch between (batteries and it's charger) and (another DC power source EX: laptop charger)

Edited by Islam Ghunym
More clear info

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Use an inverter.

EDIT: I might've jumped the gun on what you need, but I still stand by using an inverter. It just makes life easier, even if there are efficiencies losses.

Well, I was not specific I cannot rewrite the topic or delete it so I edited it

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Use an inverter.

EDIT: I might've jumped the gun on what you need, but I still stand by using an inverter. It just makes life easier, even if there are efficiencies losses.

However I will never use inverter and AC power supply again because there are no good inverter that will give me high efficiency except if I paid thousands of dollars for both PSU and inverter

My whole power usage now is 110 watts per hour. It was more than 200 watts per hour using bronze power supply and a moderate inverter that weighs around 20 K.G just to be efficient rather than the expensive portable ones that give such a high efficiency and even if I have gone to titanium power supplies there are no power supply that give a high efficiency at low loads

Automotive relay.

Honestly, if you don't know how to find the correct relay without posting on LTT, I worry that you know how to hook it up correctly.

Car relay. They're dc. But you can also get car specific psu's that clean up the voltage of lead acid batteries. I can't remember the on I used to have in my land rover. But it had a 12v jack for charger/mains feed, and a direct to battery feed.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Probably a battery isolation relay kit for a car would work, but possibly one for a commercial truck if you're running over 15 volts on the battery often.

On 1/7/2020 at 4:56 AM, jonnyGURU said:

Automotive relay.

Honestly, if you don't know how to find the correct relay without posting on LTT, I worry that you know how to hook it up correctly.

once i find the right peace of relay to my application I can hook it myself don't worry, it is just lines.... idk why you think that hard.

On 1/7/2020 at 4:00 PM, Bitter said:

Probably a battery isolation relay kit for a car would work, but possibly one for a commercial truck if you're running over 15 volts on the battery often.

it is always less than 14 and more than 11 for battery part, but for the other DC transformer it should be static 12.3 I think. I also dk what this kit is so if you can post a link for a product or something I can recognize would be appreciated. anyway I simply want to switch between 2 12 volts lines no more. I don't have knowledge about car battery systems , but from technical view I think the battery will provide DC power to crank engine then engine recharge back with 220 AC to DC charger again during running and the same charger will provide energy to car lights and other stuff so when engine get turned off the battery can continue providing power. I don't see any use of relays here.

15 hours ago, Islam Ghunym said:

.... idk why you think that hard.

It's not hard.  That's the problem.  This is really easy.

A "fog light relay" does exactly what you want.

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's not hard.  That's the problem.  This is really easy.

A "fog light relay" does exactly what you want.

you mean fog light relay of a car? does the load matter when it comes to this relay?. I mean will a 300 watts passing through it have no problem with it. should I consider lost power and by how much? I mean for example if 300 watts passed through it, how much I will lose? (a couple of watts, a ten watts or......). I read that there are many kinds of that thing (relays) and I don't have knowledge about the differences and which one is efficient, fast and suitable to my usage so I thought someone could clarify these things for me here that why I posted in LTT forums as I did not study electronics, it is not my job. the problem is that whenever I needed something forums either I get (next to no answer, people can't even understand about it because they don't know anythign around it) or I get some comments like yours "it is easy you should not be asking here because only fools ask your question" I am simply lost in this forums dk what should I ask and what I should not since you guys hate simple questions and don't like complicated questions and loves to walk around every question while making sure not to answer it.

Honestly I'm still not clear what you're trying to accomplish? Are you trying to switch a PC between power sources without it shutting down? Why not just connect a battery charger to the battery and the PC to the battery so the PC always has battery power and the battery is always being charged when the house power is on?

Just now, Bitter said:

Honestly I'm still not clear what you're trying to accomplish? Are you trying to switch a PC between power sources without it shutting down? Why not just connect a battery charger to the battery and the PC to the battery so the PC always has battery power and the battery is always being charged when the house power is on?

simply because there should be no load applied on charger while it is doing his work (charging the batteries) it has a voltage indicator and a current indicator with a smart system to know the correct amps and voltages that should be applied on the batteries during multiple charging phases

18 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

simply because there should be no load applied on charger while it is doing his work (charging the batteries) it has a voltage indicator and a current indicator with a smart system to know the correct amps and voltages that should be applied on the batteries during multiple charging phases

Do you have brand/model for the battery and charger?

Where do you live? What power supply is the PC using? Do you have access to used lead acid car batteries? How professional or safe do you need the setup to be?

On 1/11/2020 at 6:23 PM, Bitter said:

Do you have brand/model for the battery and charger?

Where do you live? What power supply is the PC using? Do you have access to used lead acid car batteries? How professional or safe do you need the setup to be?

not sure if you will find that battery brand on the internet and idk why you are asking about the brand anyway. they are 12V Gel deep cycle batteries that all what matters. the charger is http://www.chinasuoer.com/battery-charger/112.html 4 four phase charger. I live in syria. the power supply is: http://www.mini-box.com/M4-ATX?sc=8&category=981. I do not use car batteries because they are made to be in car not dedicated to my usage or in solar systems. I would prefer a setup that is affordable and active. safety does not matter. I am aware I think