SSD Recommendations

Ashy2874
Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,
7 hours ago, Ashy2874 said:

SanDisk Ultra 3D and WD Blue  3D

Those two are actually the exact same SSD so just buy whichever one is cheaper 

Hello guys, need a recommendation on ssd brands that I'm actually thinking of buying.  The plan right now is I have a mobo H370n-WIFI from Gigabyte and there's 2 nvme slot for it which is 1 in front and another at the back. I'm planning to have 2 nvme and 1 2.5 ssd to maximise the capacity so to never upgrade have storage issues again. So it would be configured with C (system files with shows currently watching), D (for Steam games) and E (for old shows/movies that will be watching soon). The choices brand of nvme which are PNY CS3030 and ADATA XPG SX8200. In my place they are a few dollars difference so want to know if the extra dollars is worth the life duration. Not going for Samsung nvme since they costed double the price of the mentioned above. The sata ssd brands are WD Blue and SanDisk Ultra. The 2 nvme and 1 ssd are both 1 TB each. So I need your opinions/suggestions why the 2 brands for nvme and ssd are better than the other. 

I know you mentioned the no samsung because they are twice as expensive but they are really the gold standard in this space. Also from researching your drives the 970 evo is ~15$ more and offers better warrenty support better performance and a longer lifespan. What price were you quoted on those drives I just found the 970 evo 1tb ~165$. Also I would recommend buying it very soon as samsung had a power fault at their factory that destroyed millions of dollars of nand chips so prices may spike and prior to that there were rumors flying around of a nand and dram shortage.

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

4 hours ago, LemonSpice said:

I know you mentioned the no samsung because they are twice as expensive but they are really the gold standard in this space. Also from researching your drives the 970 evo is ~15$ more and offers better warrenty support better performance and a longer lifespan. What price were you quoted on those drives I just found the 970 evo 1tb ~165$. Also I would recommend buying it very soon as samsung had a power fault at their factory that destroyed millions of dollars of nand chips so prices may spike and prior to that there were rumors flying around of a nand and dram shortage.

Well from your price of Samsung evo 1TB, that is very cheap. Direct conversion from my country price to USD is 292$. Prices of pny is 134$ and ADATA and 154$. When the brand is famous, it tends to get expensive here that's why I avoid Samsung pc parts. So any suggestions or just Samsung all the way? I just want nvme storage so I don't have to upgrade ever again

Samsungs really aren't that more expensive. Even at insane 4TB, Samsung's 860 QVE being only 20-30€ more than WD's offerings. WD ain't bad even with SSD's, but I'd honestly rather have Samsung at that point. And despite QLC, it's good performer with over 1PB of writes that casual user won't ever reach.

Also NVMe's are overrated. They are convenient coz you don't need cables, but you won't really spot a difference between sata unless you really need high sequential speeds. SATA drives are just way cheaper.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Samsungs really aren't that more expensive. Even at insane 4TB, Samsung's 860 QVE being only 20-30€ more than WD's offerings. WD ain't bad even with SSD's, but I'd honestly rather have Samsung at that point. And despite QLC, it's good performer with over 1PB of writes that casual user won't ever reach.

Also NVMe's are overrated. They are convenient coz you don't need cables, but you won't really spot a difference between sata unless you really need high sequential speeds. SATA drives are just way cheaper.

Well in Euro, direct conversion from my currency to yours, samsung will cost 100€ more than pny cs3030 or adata sx8200 pro. Thats why its madness to even mention samsung ssd whether nvme or sata unless you are just going for bragging rights here in my country. Most users just go with whatever cheaper that have at least somewhat decent reviews and I dont plan to get the best of ssd since i'm doing components upgrades bit by bit and now i'm clearing storage part. If i was living is USA or EU, i would definitely get samsung since its just 20-30€ more than others which is somewhat still fair on the price.

And yes the reason for nvme is to remove my 2.5 wd green and firecuda sshd. Its really a hassle to clean to pc (node 202) since the cables of sata get in the way of the cleaning the mobo.

So... any suggestions for choosing nvme ( PNY vs ADATA) and ssd 2.5 (WD Blue VS SanDisk Ultra) ?

1 hour ago, Ashy2874 said:

Well in Euro, direct conversion from my currency to yours, samsung will cost 100€ more than pny cs3030 or adata sx8200 pro. Thats why its madness to even mention samsung ssd whether nvme or sata unless you are just going for bragging rights here in my country. Most users just go with whatever cheaper that have at least somewhat decent reviews and I dont plan to get the best of ssd since i'm doing components upgrades bit by bit and now i'm clearing storage part. If i was living is USA or EU, i would definitely get samsung since its just 20-30€ more than others which is somewhat still fair on the price.

And yes the reason for nvme is to remove my 2.5 wd green and firecuda sshd. Its really a hassle to clean to pc (node 202) since the cables of sata get in the way of the cleaning the mobo.

So... any suggestions for choosing nvme ( PNY vs ADATA) and ssd 2.5 (WD Blue VS SanDisk Ultra) ?

The thing is, most SSD makers only offer 2TB. If that's your thing, then sure. But if you're looking for 3TB or 4TB, there really isn't that much choice. Also, if you'r elooking for zero compromise, I'd always go with Samsung coz they make it all from controller, firmware to NAND chips and software for it. Where others mostly outsource things. Not necessarily bad, but you have less control than if you make it all. And Samsung does make some of the best SSD's you can get. Not to mention, SSD's don't really get old in terms of becoming obsolete. Unless you buy like 128GB one coz it's just too small from get go. But if you buy something like 2TB or 4TB, it'll serve you for 10 years easily and won't really get any worse in terms of usability with years. So, SSD's are a good long term investment, even if you pay more for them in the beginning. Sure, games are getting bigger and bigger, but not with such a speed that even 2TB SSD would be any issue unless you have tons of them installed and not really playing. Where for example graphic cards get less and less usable with every passing year whether you use them or not. Usability depreciation if you will. I've had 2TB HDD many years ago. And I'm still on 2TB today, just in SSD form, which was the biggest money could buy few years ago before 4TB drives came out.

On 1/6/2020 at 11:10 PM, RejZoR said:

The thing is, most SSD makers only offer 2TB. If that's your thing, then sure. But if you're looking for 3TB or 4TB, there really isn't that much choice. Also, if you'r elooking for zero compromise, I'd always go with Samsung coz they make it all from controller, firmware to NAND chips and software for it. Where others mostly outsource things. Not necessarily bad, but you have less control than if you make it all. And Samsung does make some of the best SSD's you can get. Not to mention, SSD's don't really get old in terms of becoming obsolete. Unless you buy like 128GB one coz it's just too small from get go. But if you buy something like 2TB or 4TB, it'll serve you for 10 years easily and won't really get any worse in terms of usability with years. So, SSD's are a good long term investment, even if you pay more for them in the beginning. Sure, games are getting bigger and bigger, but not with such a speed that even 2TB SSD would be any issue unless you have tons of them installed and not really playing. Where for example graphic cards get less and less usable with every passing year whether you use them or not. Usability depreciation if you will. I've had 2TB HDD many years ago. And I'm still on 2TB today, just in SSD form, which was the biggest money could buy few years ago before 4TB drives came out.

On 1/6/2020 at 1:39 PM, LemonSpice said:

From both of you guys, you really vouch for Samsung ssd/nvme. Are they really that good or just other brands really that bad? So far for nvme (pny + adata) and ssd ( wd blue + sandisk ultra), I have not seen any bad reviews on usage for them. Samsung is the best, yes correct, but are all the other brands so bad that they aren't even worth using/mentioning? If i take 2 1tb nvme samsung 970 evo and 1 tb qvo , the total cost would be 634$. However, if i take pny 2 1tb nvme and wd blue 1tb, total cost would be 400$. The difference between the 2 choices are 200$. Im going for bang for the buck nvme/ssd. I don't even do actual work on my pc like 4K editing/transfer, just want the somewhat latest storage(not changing to amd anytime soon), cableless and fast storage. I'm doing component upgrade so want to get the storage issues cleared that i wont need to upgrade for years to come.

@Ashy2874

I mean, these days it's really hard to buy a really crap SSD. That was in early days with first JMicron controllers. And a bit later with DAM-less drives which seem to be hard to come by as well unless you look at really tiny drives for few bucks. As soon as you look at 1TB drives and beyond, they are all decent enough. Most are driven by SiliconMotion controllers and NAND from some big player like Micron. Even cheapest Chinese drives like Goldenfir and the likes do this.

Lets say Samsung is more of a no compromise choice where others may have certain asterisks. Any SSD is better than any HDD so if you just need something that's faster than HDD, but you don't care much beyond that, then it's ok I guess. And PNY, ADATA, WD and Sandisk aren't some no names so there's that too.

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

@Ashy2874

I mean, these days it's really hard to buy a really crap SSD. That was in early days with first JMicron controllers. And a bit later with DAM-less drives which seem to be hard to come by as well unless you look at really tiny drives for few bucks. As soon as you look at 1TB drives and beyond, they are all decent enough. Most are driven by SiliconMotion controllers and NAND from some big player like Micron. Even cheapest Chinese drives like Goldenfir and the likes do this.

Lets say Samsung is more of a no compromise choice where others may have certain asterisks. Any SSD is better than any HDD so if you just need something that's faster than HDD, but you don't care much beyond that, then it's ok I guess. And PNY, ADATA, WD and Sandisk aren't some no names so there's that too.

Ok if that's the case which of the nvme ( PNY CS3030 or Adata SX8200 PRO) and ssd ( WD BLUE or SanDisk Ultra) would you recommend?  Or just go for whichever the cheapest of the 2?

28 minutes ago, Ashy2874 said:

Ok if that's the case which of the nvme ( PNY CS3030 or Adata SX8200 PRO) and ssd ( WD BLUE or SanDisk Ultra) would you recommend?  Or just go for whichever the cheapest of the 2?

The sx8200 pro is really good for the price. Its very close to 970 evo plus

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

4 hours ago, Ashy2874 said:

I mean, ADATA still runs trusted Silicon Motion controller and Micron NAND. Both have proven over time they are reliable and well performing. Basically, most companies use Silicon Motion and Micron NAND anyway except Samsung coz they have everything their own.

12 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

The sx8200 pro is really good for the price. Its very close to 970 evo plus

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I mean, ADATA still runs trusted Silicon Motion controller and Micron NAND. Both have proven over time they are reliable and well performing. Basically, most companies use Silicon Motion and Micron NAND anyway except Samsung coz they have everything their own.

Ok for the 2 nvme, I'll go with adata sx8200 pro. For the 1 2.5 ssd, WD BLUE or SanDisk Ultra? 

On 1/8/2020 at 5:43 PM, Ashy2874 said:

Ok for the 2 nvme, I'll go with adata sx8200 pro. For the 1 2.5 ssd, WD BLUE or SanDisk Ultra? 

Which SanDisk ultra? Is that the wd blue 3d?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Which SanDisk ultra? Is that the wd blue 3d?

7 hours ago, Ashy2874 said:

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 1/9/2020 at 1:14 AM, RejZoR said:

On 1/10/2020 at 10:13 PM, DocSwag said:

Alright thx for the help guys, really appreciated.