RTX 2060 Driver Issues

mthilton

So a friend of mine bought an EVGA 2060 (I will make an edit to list the exact model when he responds to me). The problem is that when he installed the card and the drivers for the card, he didn't have access to the NVIDIA control panel and he couldn't change the resolution in windows. So he turned to me. I had him do the following:

1. Run DDU (yes in safe mode.) then install the driver
  2. Perform a clean install
  3. Restart NVIDIA Container Service , then clean installed
  4. After a DDU, install the latest driver straight from the geforce.com/drivers website. (He had installed GeForce Experience from EVGA and installed the driver that way before i helped him.)
  5. installing NVIDIA control panel from the windows store (i didn't even know that was a thing until i was googling the problem)
  6. Resetting windows then installing the driver

My thought is that there is a software issue somewhere, he can load windows using the basic display drivers and the 2060. Taking a look into device manager shows that windows stopped it for some reason (Code 43 if that helps.). I'm not quite sure where the issue is. The only other nuance is that on the box it recommends a 500w psu he happens to have a 450w psu. To my knowledge if it was a power draw issue, windows wouldn't even boot, he wouldn't even be able to POST. I don't think that it would prevent a driver from installing if there was a power issue.

Any thoughts?

5 minutes ago, mthilton said:

Any thoughts?

Is the windows up to date? I know sometimes this is causing problems 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

46 minutes ago, mthilton said:

The only other nuance is that on the box it recommends a 500w psu he happens to have a 450w psu.

That isn't how it works I think.  Windows would boot and then when GPU is under load that's when you'll run into issues,  performance or otherwise. 

I know the PC does a self check when booting but I kinda doubt it puts the GPU under full load during that. 

Restart NVIDIA Container Service , then clean installed

Why? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

56 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:
1 hour ago, mthilton said:

The only other nuance is that on the box it recommends a 500w psu he happens to have a 450w psu.

That isn't how it works I think.  Windows would boot and then when GPU is under load that's when you'll run into issues,  performance or otherwise. 

I know the PC does a self check when booting but I kinda doubt it puts the GPU under full load during that. 

See thats what i thought but i figured that id throw it out there to see if i was incorrect in my thought process

57 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Restart NVIDIA Container Service , then clean installed

Why? 

Idk when i was googling that was one of the things in the top results. Not sure why that would do anything tbh but i was desprate

1 hour ago, Whiro said:
1 hour ago, mthilton said:

Any thoughts?

Is the windows up to date? I know sometimes this is causing problems 

Yeah it is, i wish it was that easy

12 minutes ago, mthilton said:

See thats what i thought but i figured that id throw it out there to see if i was incorrect in my thought process

Idk when i was googling that was one of the things in the top results. Not sure why that would do anything tbh but i was desprate

I see,  well restarting this process isn't recommend - it's kind of like the opposite what you're trying when using DDU - having a clean state. 

I've never seen this recommended either,  I don't doubt you, just saying it's perhaps counter productive. 

I mean,  it could be a driver issue for sure I'd try DDU again, then install the driver from NV site normally without messing with anything.

BTW I think I had this too (no control panel),  once, it's usually a Windows issue iirc and a PC restart fixed it. 

It's kinda similar to how GFE sometimes just stops working for no reason,  restart PC and most of the time that fixes it. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I see,  well restarting this process isn't recommend - it's kind of like the opposite what you're trying when using DDU - having a clean state. 

Well now i know, thanks!

19 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I mean,  it could be a driver issue for sure I'd try DDU again, then install the driver from NV site normally without messing with anything.

We did this too, to no avail. This was actually the first thing that we did. 

17 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

BTW I think I had this too (no control panel),  once, it's usually a Windows issue iirc and a PC restart fixed it. 

We also tried just a good ole restart after we DDU, then installed the driver and that didnt work either