Bandwidth from ISP plans

TheGermanEngie

Hi all,

Curious as to how bandwidth gets allocated to various devices through a home network through an ISP plan.

Say I had a 100mbps (10mb/s) internet plan. Does the ISP assign 100mbps speeds for every device in the house? Is there a device limit where it starts to slow down? Or does it divide it up into chunks so the entire house caps out at 100mbps?

Thanks,

TGE

ISP assigns 100 megabit connection to your house/line, your router than shares that connection inside your house.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

ISP doesn't really care how you use those 100mb but they won't give you more if you connect more devices either. :)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 hours ago, TheGermanEngie said:

Hi all,

Curious as to how bandwidth gets allocated to various devices through a home network through an ISP plan.

Say I had a 100mbps (10mb/s) internet plan. Does the ISP assign 100mbps speeds for every device in the house? Is there a device limit where it starts to slow down? Or does it divide it up into chunks so the entire house caps out at 100mbps?

Thanks,

TGE

100/10 Is your speed connection speed. And it's shared by all devices in your home. The bandwidth on home connections are most likely unlimited. You should read your contract with ISP how much bandwidth you can use and eventually if there is any limit.

if you ever make filter coffee you can look at the router the same way, to get bare minimume knowledge. It simple let internet connection filter through. There is not one device that automaticly works better, one decive can however pull alot more of the speed at once and cause problems for other devices.

You just get to use 100Mbps however you want, no per device limits. Some ISPs hand out shitboxes with weird limits on wireless client associations but aside from that, it's up to you how you limit devices if you choose to.