usb to 12v dc

mockedarche

So I was curious about if this cable would work how I think it would. Would this cable allow me to use a power bank to charge my pc plug laptop? Even tho I know it will charge slowly <10 watts would it function? https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-Regulator/dp/B074R7FDCR/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=usb+to+12v+dc+9v&qid=1578143115&sr=8-3

Probably not.

Most laptops will have a 3 pin connector, with the 3rd pin sending a signal to the laptop telling it what charger is plugged in. Even if your laptop doesn't, the charger usually has to be powerful enough to top up the battery while still powering the actual laptop.

Also you won't get even 10 watts.

The USB 3.0 is rated for 0.9A , or 4.5 watts. If you're lucky, you'll get 2A out of a connector, so 10w in total. No converter is 100% efficient, so assume at best you're gonna get 8-9 watts ... that's 8w / 12v = 0.65A or a bit more.

56 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

So I was curious about if this cable would work how I think it would. Would this cable allow me to use a power bank to charge my pc plug laptop? Even tho I know it will charge slowly <10 watts would it function? https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-Regulator/dp/B074R7FDCR/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=usb+to+12v+dc+9v&qid=1578143115&sr=8-3

Most laptops are 19V just to mention but in theory using an adapter such as that but depending on the laptop the current may be so low that it rejects it or charges so slowly you use it faster than it can replenish. 

You would be better to get a power bank with DC output or USB C charging if your device supports it. 

9 hours ago, Ohsnaps said:

IF you laptop is a 12v one (most are 19v, as the guy above said), and you leave your laptop turned off while charging, then sure, it will slowly charge a couple %.

Your best bet would be with an USB-C laptop and a powerbank which has USB-C PD, then it would be just a plug and play thing.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga