Ethernet cabling not working on PC but working on Laptop

JustChilliing

I have just finished installing CAT5e cabling throughout my house, a behind the walls job so not easy to undo now. I moved my tower from my parents house to my new house and all of a sudden this issue popped up.  I've had a look at all the cables and everything is working just fine but now when I plug in my tower PC into the system, it shows as 'identifying' then tells me:

"Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP Configuration, and

A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken

Now unless I've used 6 broken patch cables I don't know what the issue could be, and I'm not sure what the problem is concerning the IP address.

If I plug my tower into the ISP router, it works, as well as the downstairs CAT5e sockets.  My laptop works on all of the sockets. I've also tried replacing the ethernet card that I have plugged into the PCI-e slot.

I have reset the device, updated drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled, tried different rooms, some fancy cmd prompt inputs but they require me to be online to work and I can't get online.

I had terrible WiFi signal in my old house so I never bothered to get a WiFi card.

If there are any networking gurus out there your help would be appreciated!!

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

Wondering if it's a signal Fidelity issue (which is pretty rare with Ethernet) based on the different Ethernet controllers they use

Did you try updating drivers, and using the Windows baked in troubleshooting tool?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

Wondering if it's a signal Fidelity issue (which is pretty rare with Ethernet) based on the different Ethernet controllers they use

Did you try updating drivers, and using the Windows baked in troubleshooting tool?

I updated drivers on the ethernet card and the Windows troubleshooter, the troubleshooter only gave me the above errors with no attempt to change anything (that I saw)

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

I've just tried plugging directly to the router (not practical as it's in the downstairs cupboard) and it works fine. Still don't know why it won't work in the bedroom. Surely not because it's 'too far'? I can see the room from where I am sat.

It sounds like a wiring issue. Why one NIC works but another doesn't could come down to power/sensitivity to signals (basically what Fasauceome is talking about). This could be an imperfection in the wire or a need to re-terminate the wall jack.

Did you use a cable tester to verify all 8 wires are connected?

On 1/3/2020 at 4:27 PM, Windows7ge said:

It sounds like a wiring issue. Why one NIC works but another doesn't could come down to power/sensitivity to signals (basically what Fasauceome is talking about). This could be an imperfection in the wire or a need to re-terminate the wall jack.

Did you use a cable tester to verify all 8 wires are connected?

I have tested and it all worked - I even re-did them all regardless, still no luck.  I unplugged the cables from another room and BOOM it worked... which is fine as I don't need the Cat5 in the second bedroom but I will need to install a mesh system at some point but I'll cross that bridge later.

13 minutes ago, JustChilliing said:

I have tested and it all worked - I even re-did them all regardless, still no luck.  I unplugged the cables from another room and BOOM it worked... which is fine as I don't need the Cat5 in the second bedroom but I will need to install a mesh system at some point but I'll cross that bridge later.

Did disconnecting that one room fix the problem or does disconnecting any room fix the problem? If it seems specific to that one room then it's likely either a cable fault on that run or an issue with the port on the Switch.

How long is the cable run total?

Also wait, you unplugged other rooms and suddenly your problem room worked?

Are wires exposed badly anywhere, maybe you're getting some really bad cross-talk, I take it these aren't shielded?