Warning, if you go hunting for a low price and find one... you might not actually get the product.

Linksys120n

I bought this thinking it was a good deal... it's been 24 hours. No receipt, No emails, No shipping info...

Anyones guess if I'll ever actually get this product.

BTW. The model number is real, but discontinued. So I thought it was just a sale to get rid of old stock...

Why are 10Gig nics still so rare in 2020? 1Gig nics have been around a long time! I remember having one nearly 15 years ago.

scam.PNG

derp

What site?  That makes the biggest difference on whether they honor price mistakes.  Amazon is known to honor it, but others off less repute won't

Just now, LogicWeasel said:

What site?  That makes the biggest difference on whether they honor price mistakes.  Amazon is known to honor it, but others off less repute won't

WARNING this site might be a scam!

https://www.clothsoutlet.com/adaptor-network-with-port--pci-e--4-rj-45--10gbe-gigabyte-gc-aqc107-card

I was so happy I found the item at this price, I didn't even notice the site...

derp

3 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

https://www.clothsoutlet.com/adaptor-network-with-port--pci-e--4-rj-45--10gbe-gigabyte-gc-aqc107-card

Do you normally buy your 10gig networking gear from the same place you buy your prom dress?

image.png.f273beb149efa9b69afb8ca68c6644c2.png

You got scammed. Contact Paypal/your credit card company to report it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Hey before you freak on me... yes I just now saw the faq says tracking info takes 48 hours, not 24.

derp

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

You got scammed. Contact Paypal/your credit card company to report it.

As per the site FAQ I will wait the full 48 hours. To be sure.

derp

37 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

um yeah, that's definitely a scam site.

notice the email is some random mail.ru address, and not a more professional looking on. (yes, i'm fully aware that just because an email looks professional doesn't make it so, but like, if you're going to scam people, at least make it look legit, yeah?)

image.thumb.png.de5233e654df9240e29af68bf69817e8.png

also, upon pushing Place Order, the site does a redirect to the following URL before directing you to PayPal to pay an invoice... phishy.

https://www.collsxe.com/index.php?main_page=checkout_paypal_pay&order_number=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

visiting collsxe.com reveals what appears to be some kind of scented candle website... riddle me this: why would one site redirect you to another site before sending you to paypal for payment? (again, there are legitimate cases for this, but most sites either take payment on the site directly, or at least don't redirect you.)

furthermore, both the clothsoutlet.com and collsxe.com domain names were registered on November of 2019, 4 days apart. also, the privacy policy on collsxe.com appears to have been directly stolen from a Shopify store by the name of

https://www.collsxe.com/index.php?main_page=privacy

https://www.animeheroshop.com/pages/terms-and-conditions

https://animeherostore.com/policies/terms-of-service

image.png.e556e171aee655d5e971e2d0db4f9d76.png image.png.1d63dfe7854a2a977ec7251e2054ea36.png

assume any information you've provided to the site has been compromised

• if you directly entered your credit card on the site, cancel your card immediately
  • if you gave them a real email, ensure your password is strong and you have 2FA setup
  • if you gave them your home address, you might want to look at moving
  • if you used a phone number you care about (or a number you use for 2FA security of certain accounts)... oh boy

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

15 minutes ago, kirashi said:

assume any information you've provided to the site has been compromised

• if you directly entered your credit card on the site, cancel your card immediately
  • if you gave them a real email, ensure your password is strong and you have 2FA setup
  • if you gave them your home address, you might want to look at moving
  • if you used a phone number you care about (or a number you use for 2FA security of certain accounts)... oh boy

if you gave them a real email, ensure your password is strong and you have 2FA setup. YES both.

if you directly entered your credit card on the site, cancel your card immediately. NO. and they used the REAL Paypal.

if you gave them your home address, you might want to look at moving... Really? that seems a bit extreme...

if you used a phone number you care about. Nope a cheap straight talk pay as you go.

However you left out one more detail... man 2020 hindsight hurts like fuck.

000000.PNG.113a28f407d1316f1db8d39124fb65d8.PNG

Yet they are using a Russian email and an american web host.

derp

3 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

if you directly entered your credit card on the site, cancel your card immediately. NO. and they used the REAL Paypal.

However you left out one more detail... man 2020 hindsight hurts like fuck.

000000.PNG.113a28f407d1316f1db8d39124fb65d8.PNG

Yet they are using a Russian email and an american web host.

Mhm they used real paypal, but since you're making a payment to an email address and not a business account with a stores' name, there may be little that paypal will do for you if the funds have already been taken from your account. (i'd still absolutely open a dispute with paypal to see what they can do, giving them all the details from this thread.)

And yeah, I saw the "Company Info" bit but forgot to include it... le sigh at least you know to steer clear of these fake sites in the future though :) 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

le sigh at least you know to steer clear of these fake sites in the future though :) 

that's the thing... I already knew... but in the heat of the moment after literally days of searching (including an earlier thread right here in these forums)

I really only checked 2 things: I checked the product existed and wasn't a knock off brand... and that the price wasn't too far into the "this can't be real" zone.

upon seeing the real paypal, I thought I was safe...

derp

Honestly, I would not be surprised if this is a "legitimate" (using the word kinda loosely here) Chinese reseller.

Many times I've bought things off eBay they have then sent a link to their very dodgy looking website, suggesting I could save 10% or get various offers for buying directly (no thanks).

I've even bought from sellers (on both eBay and Amazon) whose name seems to be completely at odds to what they were selling, as above.  Because these Chinese sellers just deal with so much junk then might split off into other things they can make a quick buck off.

The trick is to only do so using platforms like eBay and Amazon where they will step in and refund if they try any shenanigans.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7