wifi slower then advertised speed

SHADY16

so we just recently upgraded to gigabit internet through xfinity and while i get the full speed corded, my wifi tops out around 250-300 mbps on my iPhone 11 Pro max and other phones here in the house. is there any way i can get my wifi to the full 1gbps speeds? using the default modem/router that xfinity gives you. also would getting a Wifi 6 enabled route help?

i7 12700k/Asus Tuf z690/32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHZ/EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/Samsung 980 Pro 1TB/Asus 2540x1440p 165hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

9 minutes ago, SHADY16 said:

so we just recently upgraded to gigabit internet through xfinity and while i get the full speed corded, my wifi tops out around 250-300 mbps on my iPhone 11 Pro max and other phones here in the house. is there any way i can get my wifi to the full 1gbps speeds? using the default modem/router that xfinity gives you. also would getting a Wifi 6 enabled route help?

That would be the antennas in your Iphone slowing you down.  And no, at the moment 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) will not help you as the new bands have yet to be approved by most governing bodies.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

What is the connect speed with the iPhone near the WiFi? 

Also does your WiFi have 802.11ac Wave2 4x4 MIMO?

Have you configured the 5Ghz Radio for the max Channel Width ?

What AP or Router is it?

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

You will never get gig speed on wireless regardless what anyone tells you until you hit 60ghz.

Best case scenario is around 450mbps on average on mobile devices. This varies with range/strength of signal. 300-400 is normal

34 minutes ago, SHADY16 said:

The only option is to contact them ask them to check your cable modem.  They can test it on their end.  Also have you tried Fast.com and Speedtest.com?  And compared speeds? 

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

3 hours ago, Jarsky said:

What is the connect speed with the iPhone near the WiFi? 

Also does your WiFi have 802.11ac Wave2 4x4 MIMO?

Have you configured the 5Ghz Radio for the max Channel Width ?

What AP or Router is it?

its the defaul modem/router combo xfinity provides for there gigabit internet, i think XB6 or something

3 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

You will never get gig speed on wireless regardless what anyone tells you until you hit 60ghz.

Best case scenario is around 450mbps on average on mobile devices. This varies with range/strength of signal. 300-400 is normal

3 hours ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

The only option is to contact them ask them to check your cable modem.  They can test it on their end.  Also have you tried Fast.com and Speedtest.com?  And compared speeds? 

i get the full gig on my pc wired its just on my wifi i only get max 400 (iPhone 11 Pro Max)

i7 12700k/Asus Tuf z690/32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHZ/EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/Samsung 980 Pro 1TB/Asus 2540x1440p 165hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

10 hours ago, SHADY16 said:

i get the full gig on my pc wired its just on my wifi i only get max 400 (iPhone 11 Pro Max

We know, I'm saying you will not get a gig on you phone. Period.

20 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

iperf3 seems to think my S10 can reach 600Mbit to my NAS, although I'm always a bit dubious as my laptop can also only hit 600Mbit but needs twice the channel width to do so (160Mhz vs 80Mhz).

In all honesty, I fail to see a scenario where I need anything close to that on my phone anyway.  Gigabit broadband is mostly about never hitting contention issues between several devices online at the same time, rather than getting Gigabit to a single device.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

iperf3 seems to think my S10 can reach 600Mbit to my NAS, although I'm always a bit dubious as my laptop can also only hit 600Mbit but needs twice the channel width to do so (160Mhz vs 80Mhz).

In all honesty, I fail to see a scenario where I need anything close to that on my phone anyway.  Gigabit broadband is mostly about never hitting contention issues between several devices online at the same time, rather than getting Gigabit to a single device.

That sounds right. All I know is MacBooks tend to have the best wireless chips and at most care barely pass 800. I never heard anything that comes close.

If my S10 can do 600 that's pretty impressive! I have never gotten around to try but like you I don't have a need for that speed.

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

That sounds right. All I know is MacBooks tend to have the best wireless chips and at most care barely pass 800. I never heard anything that comes close.

If my S10 can do 600 that's pretty impressive! I have never gotten around to try but like you I don't have a need for that speed.

Its kinda weird to be honest as the S10 was able to achieve it even on a janky OpenWRT router repurposed as an AP, but the laptop was all over the place until I upgraded to a unifiHD and was able to use 160Mhz channel width.

I believe you CAN hit Gigabit, but its not going to happen on a phone as you'd need 3x3 or maybe even 4x4 MIMO.  Although with the S10 already outdoing my laptop using half the channel width, it sure would be interesting to see a phone supporting 160Mhz as maybe it would actually pull it off.  (although if people start routinely using 160Mhz channel widths, I'd expect speeds to end up even slower in the end due to crosstalk as MIMO is the only efficient way to achieve speed)

I will certainly be upgrading to WiFi 6 once its ratified and Uniquiti release an AP based on that final specification.  Very impressed with the unifiHD.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

46 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its kinda weird to be honest as the S10 was able to achieve it even on a janky OpenWRT router repurposed as an AP, but the laptop was all over the place until I upgraded to a unifiHD and was able to use 160Mhz channel width.

I believe you CAN hit Gigabit, but its not going to happen on a phone as you'd need 3x3 or maybe even 4x4 MIMO.  Although with the S10 already outdoing my laptop using half the channel width, it sure would be interesting to see a phone supporting 160Mhz as maybe it would actually pull it off.  (although if people start routinely using 160Mhz channel widths, I'd expect speeds to end up even slower in the end due to crosstalk as MIMO is the only efficient way to achieve speed)

I will certainly be upgrading to WiFi 6 once its ratified and Uniquiti release an AP based on that final specification.  Very impressed with the unifiHD.

the iPhone 11 pro Max supports 4x4 mimo at least its supposed to but sometimes it struggles to even hit 200 mbps now when before the upgrade it used to hit 250-300 consistantly so the upgrade to gigabit actually slowed my wifi 

1 hour ago, SHADY16 said:

iPhone 11 pro Max supports 4x4 mimo at least its supposed to but sometimes it struggles to even hit 200 mbps now when before the upgrade it used to hit 250-300 consistantly

My guess is your limited by the XB6. Not sure on its WiFi spec, but your fucking lucky they even offer AC wireless. I highly doubt it supports 4x4 mimo. Even then, WiFi is still very limited. It could very well be your home. Building materials differ by country. If you house is made like a concreate bunker then that could very well be an issue. Also the placement of your gateway. If its tucked in the corner of your home, its not really doing much for you. 

First thing I would do is evaluate where your gateway  and what your home is made out of. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

My guess is your limited by the XB6. Not sure on its WiFi spec, but your fucking lucky they even offer AC wireless. I highly doubt it supports 4x4 mimo. Even then, WiFi is still very limited. It could very well be your home. Building materials differ by country. If you house is made like a concreate bunker then that could very well be an issue. Also the placement of your gateway. If its tucked in the corner of your home, its not really doing much for you. 

First thing I would do is evaluate where your gateway  and what your home is made out of. 

thats the thing my modem/router is in my room even when im next to it i dont get passed 300 often or even 250 for that matter, im pinning it on the limitation of the modem/router they provided which is why im wondering would i benefit from a Wifi 6 Router at all

1 minute ago, SHADY16 said:

im pinning it on the limitation of the modem/router they provided which is why im wondering would i benefit from a Wifi 6 Router at all

Gateways tend to suffer from crappy WiFi. Which is why I always have a modem and seperate router. BTW your renting that pile shit gateway and giving them probably around $14 a month for it. I have Comcast, the have a pretty large list of retail modems that they support. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 1/4/2020 at 1:24 AM, SHADY16 said:

thats the thing my modem/router is in my room even when im next to it i dont get passed 300 often or even 250 for that matter, im pinning it on the limitation of the modem/router they provided which is why im wondering would i benefit from a Wifi 6 Router at all

If you have the money to burn then the Ubiquiti AmpliFi Alien sounds like a beast, although I'm dubious about any WiFi 6 hardware right now as its still pre-ratification and now there is talk of adding 6Ghz WiFi to it as well.  There are no guarantees anything you buy today will be fully standards compliant at the end of the year.

Its why I went for the unifiHD instead, you still get 4x4 MU-MIMO WiFi 5 and I will upgrade to WiFi 6 in a year or two.