PC keeps crashing due to RAM?

lavadraco

PC keeps crashing during games

This is a totally fresh, completely new build that I just dropped $1600 on, and I have to say that I am really frustrated. Idk if it's somewhat my fault for getting all relatively new hardware, or what, but I cannot play any game without it crashing within the first ten minutes. Here is my current setup

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600X at stock 3.8GHz

MOBO - MSI X570 Gaming Edge WiFi

RAM - 32GB G. Skill Trident Z RGB, running at 3066MHz (supposed to be 3200MHz, but it crashes everytime I go higher than this)

GPU - MSI MECH OC Radeon 5700XT, non-overclocked by me, just the overclock that came from MSI

SSD - Corsair MP600 PCIe Gen. 4 500GB M.2

PSU - Corsair CX750 80+Bronze

So far, I have (tried to) play DOOM, Overwatch, Battlefront 2 (new and old), Apex Legends, Papers Please, and I've tried to run 3DMark. DOOM lasts about 30 seconds, Overwatch lasts about 10 minutes, old BF2 was okay for about 20, new one lasted seconds, Apex Legends won't even start, and Papers Please was actually okay, but considering that that entire game is 24MB, it's not exactly taxing.

Now what happens when it crashes is that the computer just reboots in the middle of the game. Complete shut down, all my programs have to reopen from scratch when I log in. Thankfully it doesn't take very long to reboot, about 10 seconds, but I built this as a gaming computer, and it kinda defeats the purpose of the gaming computer if I can't game on it. I have no clue what to do about it. Windows 10 64-bit, all latest drivers, everything’s the latest whatever

I posted on reddit and someone said to use the Ryzen DRAM calculator (see image) and all that. It’s too much for my system, even the ‘safe’ recommendation. I cannot get my system to be stable at all

3DFC8EF8-78E5-4D59-8446-32CFC5AF9A80.jpeg

Start by removing the OC from your GPU. I wouldn't be suprised if that was your problem.

Also, who tf immediatly says that RAM is bad without running Memtest? That guy on Reddit is an idiot. Run Memtest86 off a USB. I bet your RAM is fine, but if it's not, Memtest will make it quite obvious.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I posted on reddit and someone said to use the Ryzen DRAM calculator (see image) and all that

^^^^^^^

never set ram timings using a calculator, those are absolute bullshit,   instead go to cpu-z look for SPD information and get the second best SPD timings, put those manually in if the XMP 3200 doesnt work  ( doesnt it have xmp profiles for lower mhz?, if they do use those xmp profiles instead )

(◑‿◐)

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

I posted on reddit and someone said to use the Ryzen DRAM calculator (see image) and all that

^^^^^^^

never set ram timings using a calculator, those are absolute bullshit,   instead go to cpu-z look for SPD information and get the second best SPD timings, put those manually in if the XMP 3200 doesnt work  ( doesnt it have xmp profiles for lower mhz?, if they do use those xmp profiles instead )

I did that and I noticed something strange. I have 3200 ram running at 3066, and CPU-z is telling me my max bandwidth is 2132

6 minutes ago, DemigodOfThe21st said:

I did that and I noticed something strange. I have 3200 ram running at 3066, and CPU-z is telling me my max bandwidth is 2132

show screenshot of ur spd info

(◑‿◐)

17 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

show screenshot of ur spd info

I have 2x16 config 

image.jpg

23 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

set 2133mhz 16-15-15

see if stable

Well, I loaded up Battlefront 2, and while it didn’t crash this time, my character is spinning in a circle uncontrollably. That’s probably a separate issue

45 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

set 2133mhz 16-15-15

see if stable

Never mind, it crashed while in Star Citizen

46 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

set 2133mhz 16-15-15

see if stable

And now my entire screen is pink

image.jpg

1 hour ago, DemigodOfThe21st said:

Never mind, it crashed while in Star Citizen

u either have faulty ram or a faulty mem controller,   or unsupported ram for the mobo

try to use other spd settings :(  its not normal for it to be that unstable though

(◑‿◐)