Best version of Linux?

Hello:

I'm looking to get a few more frames out of my old Macbook, and linux appears to be the way to go. I heard somewhere about the forums that there are a few lightweight versions of linux that could possibly speed up an old computer. 

I know nothing about Linux, but would love to learn. I'll scroll about the forums a bit and look for more information, but if you could just tell me the OS that has a great Lightweight::Customization ratio, then that would be awesome.

Thanks.

//CCap

//ccap

Lubuntu is one of the lightest OS around. Ubuntu is pretty great as well.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

ubuntu is amazing ;p 

hellooooooooo

xUbuntu is good, an lUbuntu will make it run so fast! It is all preference and some for of Ubuntu will suit you.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Anything debian based which are most popular distros.

I recommend elementary, but it has it's issues, if you are getting into Linux I recommend Ubuntu in a VM and progressing to a more advanced OS to install when you get used to it

Best is subjective. I personally love the freedom that Arch linux gives me, but most people wouldn't want to get their hands that dirty. Debian and Ubuntu derivatives are generally more stable (since they're running older software versions). Any Linux distribution can be customized, although some are a bit picky about it and can become less stable if you try to push it too hard. 

Arch linux would actually be the best lightweight:customization ratio. The base install comes with no GUI (light as it gets, really, unless you pick something like Damn Small Linux), allowing you to start with any desktop environment you want (LXDE for lightweight, runs at about 200-300MB RAM under idle conditions). And because you build it from the ground up, the possibilities are endless. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I heard that Linux OS X is supposed to be good. :P

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Mint and or Debian

What's your gnu/linux experience like? Can you use the console or would you rather have it be plugNplay

Linux Mint. I usually say Ubuntu but I dislike their UI and the newer Gnome in general. So as a matter of personal taste I recommend Linux Mint (plus last I checked it has a few more things that make it even more beginner friendly) but Ubuntu might serve you well.

-------

Current Rig

-------