System Freeze while playing Monster Hunter World

Quivz
Go to solution Solved by Quivz,

So it appears it was my overclock... Which is amazing because its been stable for 3 or 4 years and i've never had a problem before. I've been playing stably for a few hours now and no problems. But I'm not going to set this as an answer just yet as i thought it was resolved when i uninstalled Origin too. I got a few hours of play and thought things were fine and then it suddenly froze again even though i'd pegged my hopes on a problem with the originwebservicehelper.exe. So if i can play without incident and this state of events lasts until tomorrow i'll come back and tick this response.

On a side note, even after disabling the web service helper in the settings within the origin client, it still frequently showed up as crashing in the event viewer. Thats pretty crap in the scheme of things.

So I've been having weird system freezes and i cant get it to happen in any other game or application except Monster Hunter World.

At first it would only freeze my 2 displays and my keyboard wouldn't respond (numlock and capslock not responding and screen frozen), but the sound of the youtube video i was watching on my secondary display would continue. I tried installing an earlier driver and now the freeze is total when it happens.

Stuff I've Tried:

I've run a full scan with MBAM. 

I've run an extended memory diagnostic.

My CPU temp never goes above 71 and my GPU never goes above 70 (HWmonitor on secondary display so when it freezes I've got all those stats sitting there)

While MHW does flex both CPU and GPU all the way to 100% at times its never frozen at 100% for either, not even on 1 core

I've gone through event viewer and initially i thought originwebhelper.exe was to blame as it always had crash events that coincide with the freezes, but after uninstalling Origin entirely i still got a freeze, and now i cant see anything in the event viewer that matches the time of the freeze.

Its not a BSOD, so i dont have an error code.

My Specs:

AMD FX8350 at 4.2ghz

MSI 970 Gaming board

Galax 2080 super 8GB

8GB (2 x 4) Corsair Vengenace (dont remember what speed they were or what i'm running them at, but they might be overclocked a notch)

Game is running off WD 240GB Green sata SSD

Windows 10 64bit (fully updated) on Corsair Neutron Force 240 sata SSD

Corsair RM650 PSU

I'm going to try a few other things, like dropping my CPU back to its stock 4GHZ and doing some drive scans to make sure my SSDs are still good. And i might go back yet another driver version since that did seem to change the nature of the freeze. I have seen a few people complaining about freezes in MHW before, but they're all from a long time ago and there have been many patches since and no recent claims of freezes.

Anyone got any ideas? Also whats a good utility for checking drive integrity?

So it appears it was my overclock... Which is amazing because its been stable for 3 or 4 years and i've never had a problem before. I've been playing stably for a few hours now and no problems. But I'm not going to set this as an answer just yet as i thought it was resolved when i uninstalled Origin too. I got a few hours of play and thought things were fine and then it suddenly froze again even though i'd pegged my hopes on a problem with the originwebservicehelper.exe. So if i can play without incident and this state of events lasts until tomorrow i'll come back and tick this response.

On a side note, even after disabling the web service helper in the settings within the origin client, it still frequently showed up as crashing in the event viewer. Thats pretty crap in the scheme of things.