Noob question about memory and task manager

Hi i use like 12gb memory right now with all the chrome tabs open.

It's starting to slow down because apparently task manager says i use like 92% of my available ram but i have 32gb installed in the computer so there is like at least 10gb of ram that i don't see in the task manager.

I know there is more detailed ressources manager software but is it normal the win10 task manager hides a lot of them like that? Can i see more info in it? Whats happening? Why is it not showing up everything? It's not very usefull... It just doesnt add up..

image.png.9de82e39d8f4a044619163ac5e45db50.png

image.png.bd24df0e04abfda6ab35cb6580211b65.png

image.thumb.png.dd6e88455642d26367c2c4e9ba7b5807.png

image.thumb.png.1e5a6be2ab441665a43f27a79336eeba.png

Download a program called Process Explorer. See what is eating your ram. Probably a poorly written program causing a memory leak. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

4 minutes ago, Lord Xeb said:

Download a program called Process Explorer. See what is eating your ram. Probably a poorly written program causing a memory leak. 

Still adds up to about half of my 32gb installed memory..

image.thumb.png.8efbf3d2da06736fa194511bf21e7c57.png

Without seeing what programs are even running, I am not able to tell you what is going on. Does thsi happen every time you use your system? What programs are you using? Activity Monitor only monitors the system. You can use it to figure out what is using your ram. 

Also, Windows does compress memory, this way programs don't have to be unloaded. They are decompressed and put back into ram to avoid disk reads. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

7 hours ago, Lord Xeb said:

Without seeing what programs are even running, I am not able to tell you what is going on. Does thsi happen every time you use your system? What programs are you using? Activity Monitor only monitors the system. You can use it to figure out what is using your ram. 

Also, Windows does compress memory, this way programs don't have to be unloaded. They are decompressed and put back into ram to avoid disk reads. 

Yes it happens everytime i use my computer.

Here is a screenshot with programs used but its mainly just chrome tabs

What you mean activity monitor only monitor the system? It's a monitor software, why isnt everything being used showing up?

image.thumb.png.6f33274e17743e115cf24473041cac6c.png

image.thumb.png.56245107cf9c2dbbf682c39ddd026982.png

image.png.b17b3e11da70c9c63f26ade385ad0b38.png

So i just rebooted and i get about 5.5gb used while just the on start programs are open.

The thing i dont understand is why it doesnt add up to 5.5gb ?

image.thumb.png.9ffb160e224092a93b7774d8f891dcc1.png

There are areas that will not add up 100%. Generally they are sections reserved by other system processes. One example is you onboard video card. 

It can be really hard to pinpoint the issues honestly. 

I see a classic problem, particularly in this image:

image.png

"Pool non paginé" should not be that high. The most common culprit I've seen is a driver with a memory leak. And a lot of times it tends to be the network driver. So start with that and see how things are. Otherwise update any other drivers you have installed.

Tbh I also don't know why you need 60+ tabs open in Chrome... 

And yes, the windows task manager never adds up correctly,  there's a lot of hidden stuff like "standby memory". 

You just open tabs and programs until you run out of memory tbh.  Or you may also close some tabs occasionally. 

Edit: OK the above post is also true,  non paged pool shouldn't be so high but then that's not really hidden,  it's openly visible. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

And yes, the windows task manager never adds up correctly,  there's a lot of hidden stuff like "standby memory".

I believe the memory that it reports as being used is sum of each process's "Working Set (memory)" in the Details tab. What it reports in the Processes tab is the from the "Memory (active private working set)" category. Working Set is more accurate because it includes all of the memory space assigned to a process, whereas the private working set is only the memory that the process is actively using.

Standby memory has no impact on memory usage. It's just there for caching.

22 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Tbh I also don't know why you need 60+ tabs open in Chrome... 

You just open tabs and programs until you run out of memory tbh.  Or you may also close some tabs occasionally. 

Edit: OK the above post is also true,  non paged pool shouldn't be so high but then that's not really hidden,  it's openly visible. 

When i listen to music, check tutorials, work on multiple projects at the same time and need a lot of info on many websites plus the things i dont want to forget it very very quickly gets to many tabs

I guess i'll just add more memory.

I rebooted and it's better now but i don't like rebooting loll

The thing is there was like 10+ more gb's that were not usable after a while i didnt rebooted, that's what is happening as i can see.. now its fine after reboot.

Anyways thanks !

54 minutes ago, matrixmodulator said:

When i listen to music, check tutorials, work on multiple projects at the same time and need a lot of info on many websites plus the things i dont want to forget it very very quickly gets to many tabs

I guess i'll just add more memory.

I rebooted and it's better now but i don't like rebooting loll

The thing is there was like 10+ more gb's that were not usable after a while i didnt rebooted, that's what is happening as i can see.. now its fine after reboot.

Anyways thanks !

Ok yeah I can see that I guess - yeah usually you'd just add more memory in that case but you could also try figuring out if you have a memory leak somewhere before you do that, which is probably a pain to find out though. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity