Diy handheld

Rupen

My current project is an idea I have been turning over in my head for a while now.  A fat handheld device with a skull canyon nuc and a gtx 1060.  I have worked out everything except the cooling.  It will be water-cooled with diy reservoire.  I am unsure how this will be cooled.  Currently my idea is of a vapour chamber and peltier module.  

I have some questions:

Will this be enough?

Any parts for compact Water cooling you can recommend? 

And finally, can I get an amd ryzen motherboard for same size?

Just now, -Kriss- said:

Had held watercooled? Wont the rad alone be bigger than most devices?

my question what battery it uses that isn't larger than the device that also won't die in 10 seconds or less.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

super bad idea. anything water cooled should not be moved around while it's running

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

14 minutes ago, Rupen said:

peltier module.

Terrible efficiency. I suppose it doesn't matter if the thingamabob was to be powered from the wall, but if you were planning on it being battery-powered, this alone would make that idea a complete non-starter.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

21 minutes ago, Rupen said:

My current project is an idea I have been turning over in my head for a while now.  A fat handheld device with a skull canyon nuc and a gtx 1060.  I have worked out everything except the cooling.  It will be water-cooled with diy reservoire.  I am unsure how this will be cooled.  Currently my idea is of a vapour chamber and peltier module.  

I have some questions:

Will this be enough?

What screen do you plan on using? Have you done any of the design work? Do you realize that this will be very large? 

I built a diy handheld based off a pi zero. There are lots of extras like charging circuits and wires that take up a surprisingly large amount of space... I can't imagine doing it with a nuc and 1060

IMG_20180516_203119.jpg

5 hours ago, Jumballi said:

my question what battery it uses that isn't larger than the device that also won't die in 10 seconds or less.

I have found 8000 mah battery. I can just about fit like 6 in

5 hours ago, -Kriss- said:

Had held watercooled? Wont the rad alone be bigger than most devices?

Still working on it but rad gonna be small?

6 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

What screen do you plan on using? Have you done any of the design work? Do you realize that this will be very large? 

I built a diy handheld based off a pi zero. There are lots of extras like charging circuits and wires that take up a surprisingly large amount of space... I can't imagine doing it with a nuc and 1060

IMG_20180516_203119.jpg

It will be much bigger

Little bit bigger than Nintendo switch

It will also be quite thick

6 hours ago, Arika S said:

super bad idea. anything water cooled should not be moved around while it's running

Thx did not know. 

Anyway I could get around this? 

1 minute ago, Rupen said:

Thx did not know. 

Anyway I could get around this? 

Do you think that I could support it in any way

6 hours ago, Rupen said:

Still working on it but rad gonna be small?

I may not have rad but instead cool reservoir via peltier.  Am worried about ice but I will figure out

7 hours ago, Rupen said:

It will be much bigger

Little bit bigger than Nintendo switch

It will also be quite thick

I don't think you fully grasp what you are trying to do. Using off the shelf parts, you are not going to get this thing handheld in any way usable. It's will be about as handholdable as a 15 inch laptop, at best. 

Do you have a product design background? Are you adept at iterative cad design and 3d printing? Do you have deep pockets? 

10 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

I don't think you fully grasp what you are trying to do. Using off the shelf parts, you are not going to get this thing handheld in any way usable. It's will be about as handholdable as a 15 inch laptop, at best. 

Do you have a product design background? Are you adept at iterative cad design and 3d printing? Do you have deep pockets? 

I got high budget

And I changing gpu cooling 

I might not use nuc tho instead lattepanda alpha

14 hours ago, Rupen said:

I may not have rad but instead cool reservoir via peltier.  

Peltier is completely useless already on a full size build, for a battery powered handheld it's even more stupid. You need to give the Peltier 10 times the power you want it to cool, so... in the end you just end up with 11 times more power consumption and heat to remove...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

22 hours ago, Rupen said:

I have found 8000 mah battery. I can just about fit like 6 in

I hope you're not talking about those 18650 "8000mAh" cells, because they're 100% fake. The maximum you can fit with current technology in a 18650 - cell is about 3400mAh and any seller claiming more than that is scamming you.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I hope you're not talking about those 18650 "8000mAh" cells, because they're 100% fake. The maximum you can fit with current technology in a 18650 - cell is about 3400mAh and any seller claiming more than that is scamming you.

K thx I find new 1

On 12/29/2019 at 9:23 AM, Rupen said:

I have some questions:

Will this be enough?

Fuck this project

Apparently it won't work

??????????????????

6 hours ago, Rupen said:

Fuck this project

Apparently it won't work

??????????????????

Don't get discouraged, just be realistic with your goals. 

On 12/30/2019 at 9:47 PM, Blue4130 said:

Don't get discouraged, just be realistic with your goals. 

Thx