Cluster Computer

Deformed Rock

So I obtained 21 computers and a old iMac from my university for super cheap. And a few of them are dell workstations that have alright specs for the time. But i'm wondering if anybody has any ideas on helping me start a cluster computer, there's at least 3 computers that I found 'suitable' for it since the specs are the same.

17 minutes ago, Deformed Rock said:

But i'm wondering if anybody has any ideas on helping me start a cluster computer,

You need to specify what the cluster would be used for.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

All the computer in the cluster do not need to be the same specs. I have not made one myself but in a sample cluster you would have one master node where you would interaction with the cluster and a lot of clients nodes. There more than one way to do this, you could use Message Passing interface like https://www.open-mpi.org and a job schedulers. You could think about making a grid computer, so you be able to use on your friends computers. 

On 12/28/2019 at 11:01 PM, WereCatf said:

You need to specify what the cluster would be used for.

Im thinking more for processing or hashing stuff out would be the main purpose.

Clustering is really application level rather than OS or even hardware layer. You need to find an application that will do the tasks you want in a distributed manner. For hashing you can look at projects like Hashtopolis but it seems like most people are just splitting their wordlist into pieces and running separately. For file storage, Ceph is where it's at. For databases, Redis. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4