Basic question on the use of a modem, switch, and a router.

glitchgodprime

So i wish to move my router to another room thats in the center of the house for better wifi, however the modem (thats separate) needs to be in to original room since the only other coaxial is about 2x the distance away. 

Now the fun part is i own a "TP-LINK TL-sg108" (8 port switch) and the original room has the home office computers(2) and an xbox.so i want actual cables to these devices.

Could I connect from the modem to the switch and then run an ethernet about 100ft to the new router location? If so how would some static ips be effected?

Also the router is OpenWrt if that helps.

What model modem do you have?

Is it a modem/router combo or a true modem with a single port on the rear and no router/switch functionality?

If it's just a modem, no router/switch functionality, then no, you need to go modem > router > switch in terms of cabling.

If it's a modem/router/switch/ap/etc combo unit from your ISP then yes.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

This should work if it's just Layer 2 switching but understand you won't be able to plug any other devices into this switch. Honestly you'd be better off just running a single long cable from the modem to the new router's location. Cat5e at Gigabit can go up to 100m(328ft.). You'd have to doubleback the cables from the router if you want to connect those two devices.

That's assuming the modem does not contain a active router.

You'll want 2 long cables, one that goes from modem to router, and one that comes back from router to switch...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, glitchgodprime said:

yes modem is separate its just a modem with a single jack on the back. 

Then you'll need to go Modem > Router > Switch since the modem will hand out a WAN IP to the first device to ask and ignore any other requests so nothing else will be able to access the internet.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: