1 steam account, 2 computers, will it work?

xwrench3

so i just got a (pretty nice i might add) hand me down computer, that i am leaving on the main floor of our home. my basement computer, which is where i normally game, has been set up on steam for some time, and worked fine. the key word there, is WORKED. now, steam will not let me sign in for some reason. do i NEED to have a separate account for each computer? do i have to log out of steam on one, before i can log in on the other one? is there something else i need to do to make this work? thanks

Steam account on 1st computer can be online while Steam account on 2nd computer cannot be online. You can use one steam account for two computers but only Steam account on computer can be online.

You can use your steam account on more than one computer, but only one of them can be used at a time. For example, you cannot be playing a game on one computer (with your account) while another person plays on the other computer (also with your account).

That's wrong, you can be logged in in multiple places, has been like that for several years as it's how you can stream games. You can't play at 2 places at the same time, but the client can be open in as many as you want.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 12/28/2019 at 9:04 PM, OlympicAssEater said:

Steam account on 1st computer can be online while Steam account on 2nd computer cannot be online. You can use one steam account for two computers but only Steam account on computer can be online.

Wrong!  :D   you can be online with 2 computers and 1 account -  how else would you even stream a game from one pc to another? 

You just cannot play the *same* game at the *same* time on *both* computers. 

(atm not sure about playing two different games but I think it should work actually) 

Don't worry,  coming from consoles I thought the same as you until someone told me it ain't so, and I tried it out and it works - same network and all,  no issues whatsoever! ;)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 12/28/2019 at 9:05 PM, Kilrah said:

That's wrong, you can be logged in in multiple places, has been like that for several years as it's how you can stream games. You can't play at 2 places at the same time, but the client can be open in as many as you want.

Can't you play 2 different games at the same time tho?  I mean I don't see why not lol ? 

Edit: maybe Steam doesn't allow two different games open in the same client tho

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

32 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Can't you play 2 different games at the same time tho?  I mean I don't see why not lol ? 

Edit: maybe Steam doesn't allow two different games open in the same client tho

Steam only allows one client to play a game, while any amount of people can be logged into that one account.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

38 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Wrong!  :D   you can be online with 2 computers and 1 account -  how else would you even stream a game from one pc to another? 

You just cannot play the *same* game at the *same* time on *both* computers. 

(atm not sure about playing two different games but I think it should work actually) 

Don't worry,  coming from consoles I thought the same as you until someone told me it ain't so, and I tried it out and it works - same network and all,  no issues whatsoever! ;)

I asked Steam that question a long time ago and that is what the support replied to my ticket said. Steam customer support said one steam account can be login to multiple computers but only one computer with steam account can be online and play multiplayer games.

2 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

but only one computer with steam account can be online and play multiplayer games.

Well,  half of that is true! You can definitely be online with multiple computers on the same account ?

2 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Steam only allows one client to play a game, while any amount of people can be logged into that one account.

Yeah, I see. I wonder what about remote play together tho?  That would make a lot of sense to work,  but I'm not sure either. 

I mean it's cool and all but that seems a bit restrictive? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

No you can't, obviously becasue otherwise people would share accounts instead of buying games.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

No you can't, obviously becasue otherwise people would share accounts instead of buying games.

Well that's #Steam logic for you though, because people do just that with "family sharing"...

But I get it Steam has at least to make it look like they're trying lol...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

A particular game is only playable through family sharing if the publisher allows it.

F@H

GPD Win 2

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2019 at 5:33 PM, Kilrah said:

Hi,I know this comment are 2 years ago....I don't know if you'll reply or not but hope so...what if the devices logged in into a Steam account set to offline mode?Can they play the game(different game/same game)at the same time?

15 minutes ago, Mikha said:

Hi,I know this comment are 2 years ago....I don't know if you'll reply or not but hope so...what if the devices logged in into a Steam account set to offline mode?Can they play the game(different game/same game)at the same time?

It can work. I have my Steam library shared with my partner and when she plays a game from my library and I put Steam into offline mode on my PC, I can play my games just fine. Only downside is that Steam's other functions don't work, like tracking time and achievements, if you even care about those things in the first place. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█