New Build PC supa slow connection ASUS-PCEAC51

Rhythm8503

Hi, so recently I build my new PC and the connection speeds have been super slow to the point where it's pathetic, I'm getting around 10.80Mbps on average download and I'm sick of it. My 10 year old laptop, Dell Studio 1749 would get around 60Mbps on average. I've tried installing new drivers, I tried moving the antenna around, hell I even opened the case just to push the card in further to see if there was a difference. What can I do this is very annoying?

PC Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

RX 570

500GB SSD + 320GB HDD
16GB RAM

ASUS PCE AC51 network adapter. 

The chain from data to network company to cable to house to network to computer is a long one.  Might not be at just one end.  Or it might.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

The chain from data to network company to cable to house to network to computer is a long one.  Might not be at just one end.  Or it might.

Well on my phone I get even higher at 100+Mbps

5 minutes ago, Rhythm8503 said:

Well on my phone I get even higher at 100+Mbps

On the local WiFi or on your LTE?  If it’s the local WiFi you’ve got a valid test.  Phone has a different OS and different WiFi hardware though.  Card is ac. 2ghz & 5.1 ghz. Is there a way to see what protocol the router is connecting with? All that stuff is backwards compatible so it could be connecting at something as weird as A for some reason.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

On the local WiFi or on your LTE?  If it’s the local WiFi you’ve got a valid test.  Phone has a different OS and different WiFi hardware though.  Card is ac. 2ghz & 5.1 ghz. Is there a way to see what protocol the router is connecting with? All that stuff is backwards compatible so it could be connecting at something as weird as A for some reason.

Local Wifi, same connection just different device.

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I cannot see the router protocol as its not mines its my dads. 

Literally, many things could cause this.

Are you on 2.4 or 5.0 GHz network?

How far are you from the Router?

If your phone gets more speeds, have you tried to make the phone a hotspot and connect to it to see if there is a difference?

What Channel are you on in the WiFi spectrum? It could be a over used Channel, having a lot of disturbances? Try to change the WiFi channel on your PC Wi Fi card.

Have you tried to run a cable to the Router to see if the speeds change?If the PC has Wifi Antennas, that are movable, have you tried to place them away from the PC, up Higher?

So many things... But I would suggest first running a cable to the router, just to make sure that the HW of your new build is OK.

If you see better speeds, then you should try some/all of the other things I suggested.

On 12/27/2019 at 3:58 PM, Rhythm8503 said:

Local Wifi, same connection just different device.

There are many different wifi protocols.  Not all WiFi devices are created equal.  The newer ones are generally compatible with the older ones.  Ideally they talk over the fastest connection they both have.  This doesn’t always happen though.  So which hardware and protocols each devices is using could matter.  Or it could be something else.

Where are those 10.8Mbps downloads from?

A fresh install of Steam or from Speedtest/Fast.com?

If it's Steam then it's MB/s which, when converted to Mb/s, is around 82Mbps

If it's from Speedtest or Fast.com then there is a different issue.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

43 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There are many different wifi protocols.  Not all WiFi devices are created equal.  The newer ones are generally compatible with the older ones.  Ideally they talk over the fastest connection they both have.  This doesn’t always happen though.  So which hardware and protocols each devices is using could matter.  Or it could be something else.

Agreed, but if this is a home Router, there is only one 802.a/b/g/h/ax. Depending on the age of the router, the best bet would be 802.11h, but they are all still 802.11x, so in a way there are NOT many WiFi protocols, it is flavors of the same 802.11.  He should do a direct wired connection for testing.

The distance between the router and the receiver will matter as well.

3 minutes ago, The_Geek said:

Agreed, but if this is a home Router, there is only one 802.a/b/g/h/ax. Depending on the age of the router, the best bet would be 802.11h, but they are all still 802.11x, so in a way there are NOT many WiFi protocols, it is flavors of the same 802.11.  He should do a direct wired connection for testing.

802.11h was an extension to 802.11a from 2004..... The official standards/options though are a/b/g/n/ac/ad/ax although ad is basically dead and some parts have been merged into the 802.11ax standard. AC has Wave 1 and Wave 2 variants as well but most consumer stuff only uses Wave 1 iirc.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

802.11h was an extension to 802.11a from 2004..... The official standards/options though are a/b/g/n/ac/ad/ax although ad is basically dead and some parts have been merged into the 802.11ax standard. AC has Wave 1 and Wave 2 variants as well but most consumer stuff only uses Wave 1 iirc.

A is also a bit rare which very occasionally makes it handy because while it’s slow as dirt it it uses a not often used band and is sometimes actually faster in really congested situations.  A lot of older or cheaper home routers are b/g/n so the a band gets used less often sometimes.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

A is also a bit rare which very occasionally makes it handy because while it’s slow as dirt it it uses a not often used band and is sometimes actually faster in really congested situations.  A lot of older or cheaper home routers are b/g/n so the a band gets used less often sometimes.

A uses exactly the same 5Ghz band as N, AC and AX.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

11 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

A uses exactly the same 5Ghz band as N, AC and AX.

I thought it was the other one. No matter. Some of the higher rate devices use both at once.  A is B but over a different wavelength.  The wavelength b uses tends or tended to at least, to be a bit more congested than the one A uses so sometimes it’s helpful.  Less so than it used to be.  It’s situational.

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I thought it was the other one. No matter. Some of the higher rate devices use both at once.  A is B but over a different wavelength.  The wavelength b uses tends or tended to at least, to be a bit more congested than the one A uses so sometimes it’s helpful.  Less so than it used to be.  It’s situational.

A is the 5Ghz version of G.  B was limited to only 11Mbit, A can do 54Mbit.

I'm not aware of any devices that can use both at the same time, although Access Points can broadcast both at the same time, they are effectively two different devices.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

47 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

A is the 5Ghz version of G.  B was limited to only 11Mbit, A can do 54Mbit.

I'm not aware of any devices that can use both at the same time, although Access Points can broadcast both at the same time, they are effectively two different devices.

Hmm.  I heard it different.  You may be right though.

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Hmm.  I heard it different.  You may be right though.

Literally a few seconds on Google can confirm.

22 hours ago, The_Geek said:

22 hours ago, Lurick said:

22 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Ok so I found the issue, my PC is just that far away and lacks enough power to get a solid connection, when I moved my pc downstairs (1 floor) I got speeds of 60 - 80Mbps 2.4GHz and 130Mbps 5GHz

I should probably find a way to move the router or make an access point

Repeater is the traditional one.  Little box that plugs into an outlet