Help me find a laptop to future proof with.

I am looking for a new laptop to invest in, my UX301LA is getting outdated and sluggish. 

Currently I am a student, but am looking to use this in my future years, when working. Requirements for the system are as follows; 

Battery - At least 5-6 hours, 4 would be fine, but higher is better of course. 

Screen size - 14"+, maybe even 15 if the screen ratio is high enough so that footprint isn't too big (I need to carry it in a bag)

Weight - Tbh, as long as it doesn't look bulky, I am happy with carrying a 3kg laptop 

GPU - I need a dedicated graphics card, 9 or 10 series NVIDIA 

Resolution - 2560x1440 is what I am used to, and find that is it a balance balance between the 1080 and 4k in terms of quality and battery life

storage - At last 256GB SSD, or 512GB would be ideal

IO - I still want old classic style USB's! For future proofing, a USB-C, with some option for connecting to HDMI, such as mini or full HDMI, SD card reader would be plus, 

I usually work on word, web browsing, use photoshop and make some music, as well as playing CS:GO, not a very demanding game, but want it to be able to run attest 100fps medium 1080. 

Ive had my eyes on the X1 Extreme and X1 Carbon 9th and 8th series respectively, but these are somewhat outside of my budget options, unless they meet these requirements for under 1500-1600$ or euro. also seen the XPS 15 and 13, but don't prefer the IO, unless there are really no other options...

Thanks!

"Future proofing" a desktop is hard as is, but with laptops? Good luck.

What are you exactly doing with your laptop? Study stuff and CS:GO? You don't need a backbreaker for that.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

I have to agree with the earlier sentiment.  You can't really future proof a laptop.  The smaller the form factor the more frequently you'll replace it.  Take phones for example.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 hours ago, Matthiaszzz said:

Battery - At least 5-6 hours, 4 would be fine, but higher is better of course. 

Weight - Tbh, as long as it doesn't look bulky, I am happy with carrying a 3kg laptop 

Resolution - 2560x1440 is what I am used to, and find that is it a balance balance between the 1080 and 4k in terms of quality and battery life

Just to confirm, fine with 4 hrs battery life and up to 3kg laptop?

Also getting 1440p panel is difficult in laptops, suggest going for 1080p since pixel density is already high

Which country are you from? Budget?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

7 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Just to confirm, fine with 4 hrs battery life and up to 3kg laptop?

Also getting 1440p panel is difficult in laptops, suggest going for 1080p since pixel density is already high

Which country are you from? Budget?

I would prefer a battery to be higher than that, but if it meets all the other specifications and can't have more than 4, Ill compromise on that end. 

Weight wise, Ive just gone to the laptop store in my area and tested out the different weighs, and now have come to the decision that under 2kg is more realistic, as more than 2kg would be bringing my laptop into the gaming laptops weights territory (with the exception like the razor stealth ofc.)

I wanted a 1440p because my previous one was this, but I guess ppi is still relatively high in 1080p so Ill change y specifications to 1080p. 

Im from Switzerland, but have access to buying in the UK, US and Switzerland, even France and Italy if it is needed.  Budget would be around 1500euro/usd, but forking out an extra few hundreds if the increase in cost made sense, would be fine. 

11 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

"Future proofing" a desktop is hard as is, but with laptops? Good luck.

What are you exactly doing with your laptop? Study stuff and CS:GO? You don't need a backbreaker for that.

I totally agree with you, what I meant to say was that I wanted to try and get the latest laptop, e.g., one that doesn't run on 6th gen CPU... or has outdated specs in 2019.

I use my laptop for the following things: 

Photoshop editiing

FL studio music mixing

Word/Excel/Powerpoint

Gaming with games like CS:GO, BFV, PUBG, Rust, Doom

I essentialy want a laptop that I can bring to class, type essays with (good keyboard with decent key travel), use for 5 hours, and then when I get home, hook it up to my mouse and game with. 

4 hours ago, Matthiaszzz said:

Im from Switzerland, but have access to buying in the UK, US and Switzerland, even France and Italy if it is needed.  Budget would be around 1500euro/usd, but forking out an extra few hundreds if the increase in cost made sense, would be fine. 

Can consider Tongfang QC7 aka Eluktronics Mag-15

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.