What to do with old stuff?

Cwazywazy
Go to solution Solved by old reece frost,

Fornicate with it.

I have quite a few things that still work but I need ideas on what to do with them.

1280x1024 17 inch screen

Toshiba NB255-N250 netbook with broken screen (Puny little Atom, can barely handle 320p YouTube.)

Dell Latitude D505 (Actually works fine, but is a bit slower than the netbook.)

Pentium 4 3GHz HT, Geforce 7600GS desktop. (My old computer.)

I need ideas on what to do with them. Would the desktop be worth it to set up for 24/7 folding?

EDIT: I also have an Acer Travelmate laptop with a 2.5GHz Pentium and 1.5GB RAM with a fresh install of XP. (I forget the rest.) I can't find the charger for it so I've been running it off my portable laptop battery.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Take out the PCB's. Cut them into shapes. Solder/connect earing hooks to them. Sell them in pairs for $5-$25 (depending on uniqueness/quality) on Etsy.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Take out the PCB's. Cut them into shapes. Solder/connect earing hooks to them. Sell them in pairs for $5-$25 (depending on uniqueness/quality) on Etsy.

Uhh.. No..

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

$200 Volvo 245

I was thinking something along the lines of media, but I don't really know what to do.

$200 Volvo 245

Uhh.. No..

Turn them into emulator machines (NES, SNES, Gameboy, etc etc)

Turn the Pentium 4 into a basic (very basic) storage solution NAS.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

use the monitor as an aux monitor

Woo!

I wait until a steamy Saturday night in June and stuff as much of my old tech down my pants and strut around the town chanting "Old tech will never be forgotten".

Also I use old screens as aux monitors showing temps an load and stuff.

But strutting is the best.

Nothing to see here - move along.

I think I'll try FreeNAS on my D505 and if I can get it to work and it's useful then I'll try it on my old PC and stick all our old IDE HDDs in it.

$200 Volvo 245

Well if you don't mind the slowness, try to use them for such things as FreeNAS or just Linux testing/learning. I would use it as a paper weight or just toss it in the recycle bin.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Donate to charity. 

Best thing to do with aging tech is to sell before they become virtually worthless. 

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

I gave my last build to my friend and her daughter. I could of made a decent amount of $ selling it but both mom and daughter are 1. Under poverty level and more importantly super-crazy talented. The mom made speakers (no diagrams) from junk found in a dumpster, built a wi-fi receiving antenna, DIY routers, switches and can code like crazy. The daughter (13 when I met her) grew up with zero (not 1 minute) TV. At 13 she'd rip though a 500 page novel in a day. Can paint like crazy and with a super hand-me-down 5 yr old Mac-something could make some very impressive movies. She's going to some fancy university 100% scholarship. All that (and more)...single mom, no help...asshole father of kid payed 0 child support and has never bothered to meet his own friggin' daughter.

It was a Haf full-size

ROG II Mobo

1200 mod Antec PSU

670 FTW

24gig DDR3 vengeance

and other stuff.

If you know anyone who will put older stuff/gear to ultra-use, nothing is better than empowering 'em. I do want a 1440 monitor and this and that but it's no contest between the two choices

I gave my last build to my friend and her daughter. I could of made a decent amount of $ selling it but both mom and daughter are 1. Under poverty level and more importantly super-crazy talented. The mom made speakers (no diagrams) from junk found in a dumpster, built a wi-fi receiving antenna, DIY routers, switches and can code like crazy. The daughter (13 when I met her) grew up with zero (not 1 minute) TV. At 13 she'd rip though a 500 page novel in a day. Can paint like crazy and with a super hand-me-down 5 yr old Mac-something could make some very impressive movies. She's going to some fancy university 100% scholarship. All that (and more)...single mom, no help...asshole father of kid payed 0 child support and has never bothered to meet his own friggin' daughter.

It was a Haf full-size

ROG II Mobo

1200 mod Antec PSU

670 FTW

24gig DDR3 vengeance

and other stuff.

If you know anyone who will put older stuff/gear to ultra-use, nothing is better than empowering 'em. I do want a 1440 monitor and this and that but it's no contest between the two choices

Oh wow. Good for them I guess. I don't know anybody like that..

Anyway I stuck 6 old IDE HDDs into my old PC for a total of 300 whopping gigabytes. I haven't tested it yet but I think I'll set it up as a network server or something. (No RAID, not enough space for RAID 1 and the drives are old and mismatched so no RAID 0.)

$200 Volvo 245

The stuff I own usually doesn't stay around after I'm done with it. It immediately gets sold on places like Craigslist so I can put that money towards other things. I'm sure you can sell those things for a buck or two or at the very least pass them on to someone who will appreciate it. I'm not a huge fan of waste as you can tell. There's no need in trashing items if they can be re-purposed 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

The stuff I own usually doesn't stay around after I'm done with it. It immediately gets sold on places like Craigslist so I can put that money towards other things. I'm sure you can sell those things for a buck or two or at the very least pass them on to someone who will appreciate it. I'm not a huge fan of waste as you can tell. There's no need in trashing items if they can be re-purposed 

I never said I don't appreciate this stuff.. I'm just trying to use them in a way that's actually useful. Besides most of this stuff isn't worth very much at all.

Anyway, I hit a problem with my old PC. I'm using an old 420 watt PSU but the thing won't turn on even though the motherboard light is on. I wonder if 6 hard drives is too much for it..

$200 Volvo 245

I never said I don't appreciate this stuff.. I'm just trying to use them in a way that's actually useful. Besides most of this stuff isn't worth very much at all.

Anyway, I hit a problem with my old PC. I'm using an old 420 watt PSU but the thing won't turn on even though the motherboard light is on. I wonder if 6 hard drives is too much for it..

I didn't say you did. I was essentially saying that someone out there will find your laptops more useful than you do. A broke student, a kid getting their first laptop, etc. It doesn't hurt to list them somewhere. Another man's junk is another's treasure. What do you have to lose by listing them? If you can't reuse, "pay it forward" by giving it to someone

Totally your decision though. I'm just here to offer some advice and my experiences that's all :)

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I didn't say you did. I was essentially saying that someone out there will find your laptops more useful than you do. A broke student, a kid getting their first laptop, etc. It doesn't hurt to list them somewhere. Another man's junk is another's treasure. What do you have to lose by listing them? If you can't reuse, "pay it forward" by giving it to someone

Totally your decision though. I'm just here to offer some advice and my experiences that's all :)

Okay, but the best laptop I have to use (Acer with no charger) I actually got from my sister, a broke college student. (She got it for free but got a good laptop for Christmas over a year ago.)

$200 Volvo 245

I've got some old Q9400 and Q6600 Intel CORE  2 Quad chips with nothing to do and no boards they'll go in.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

I've got some old Q9400 and Q6600 Intel CORE  2 Quad chips with nothing to do and no boards they'll go in.

I also have an old 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo but the board it goes in has broken pins. The board was only DDR RAM and an AGP slot anyway.

$200 Volvo 245

break it....

break it....

Uhh.. No..

Anyway, apparently the PSU in this thing doesn't want to turn on half the time. I couldn't get it working with the HDDs all plugged in so..

$200 Volvo 245

I'd like to make a keyring from the Q9400 but I don't have a proper drill.  It's a good 8 years old, with 6 of those in actual usage.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number