fail to boot after BIOS reset

Willy6
Go to solution Solved by Willy6,

fixed. had to remove cpu and reinstall everything. then it would boot.

Hi guys, i was trying to overclock my ram for the first time and failed. After i set my ram to 3600Ghz and F10, system refused to boot. Since i couldn't go into bios and change it back , i tried to reset BIOS with the clear CMOS jumper. After reset, the system seems to boot but no graphics. CPU fans is turning fast and slow like it was in BIOS but not graphics.

Could it be possible i rolled the BIOS back to a version that doesn't support gen3 ryzen? maybe now i need a BIOS update?

my rig: ryzen5 3600, MSI B450i gaming plus AC, corsair lpx ddr4 3200 8g*2, sapphire 5700xt nitro+, WD sn700 500GB m.2

Thanks a bunch and merry christmas!

4 minutes ago, Willy6 said:

Could it be possible i rolled the BIOS back to a version that doesn't support gen3 ryzen? maybe now i need a BIOS update?

No, hitting the clear CMOS button simply clears your settings, it does not flash the BIOS in anyway.

Turn your computer off, unplug any other drives temporarily, just leave your primary drive connected and try again. 

44 minutes ago, Founders said:

No, hitting the clear CMOS button simply clears your settings, it does not flash the BIOS in anyway.

Turn your computer off, unplug any other drives temporarily, just leave your primary drive connected and try again. 

thanks a lot. trying to make it work now. right now the computer still doesn't boot and "DRAM" debug light is on. Maybe i fried my rams? But i didn't even successfully boot after i made the change.

2 minutes ago, Willy6 said:

thanks a lot. trying to make it work now. right now the computer still doesn't boot and "DRAM" debug light is on. Maybe i fried my rams? But i didn't even successfully boot after i made the change.

That's very unlikely, you could try re-seating your DIMM's 

When you hit the clear CMOS button did you unplug your PSU first? If not, try unplugging your PSU, press the power button on your case 5-10 times, hit the clear CMOS button, plug it in and see if it boots.

1 hour ago, Founders said:

When you hit the clear CMOS button did you unplug your PSU first? If not, try unplugging your PSU, press the power button on your case 5-10 times, hit the clear CMOS button, plug it in and see if it boots.

took the mobo out, disconnected mobo battery, cleared bios setting, then i built a minimal system with only 1 ram in slot 1, cpu with cooler, gpu, and m.2 drive. still doesn't boot, same problem. gonna try my luck tmr, tired fixing it for now. Thank you so much for your help. Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas! Come back tomorrow for help if you can't figure it out. 

fixed. had to remove cpu and reinstall everything. then it would boot.

update: i've tried different settings to get the most out of my ram, and have found out that if disconnect power and short JBAT1 doesnt reset BIOS for you on this MSI mobo, try the following:

short JBAT1 with a screwdriver and turn power on. it instantly clears BIOS settings.