Thinking of dual booting with Mint as my main OS and Win10 for gaming...

Waifu4Life

Thinking of dual booting with Mint as my main OS and Win10 for gaming.

Before we get started, some ground rules:

1- I'm aware of the possibility of running Windows programs and games in Linux with things like Wine, I just don't want to start dealing with this.

2- I want to avoid dealing with command prompts as much as possible, meaning if there's a UI option, I'd prefer it.

3- While I have a tiny bit of experience with Linux, everything I'll ask is coming from someone who's been using Windows for 23 years.

4- Any answer helps, you don’t need to know all of them.

Now for my questions. Putting games, MS SQL and my accounting software aside, I'd like to use Linux Mint for everything else.

1- While I don't plan to game in Mint, I'd still like to take advantage of the fact that my computer outputs at 2160p using my GTX1080. Will Mint allow me that possibility?

2- With no Linux version of Setpoint, is it possible to remap my Logitech mouse’s extra buttons (with a UI if possible)?

3- When I’m at the Office, I use my DynDNS to remote connect via RDP to my home computer. I know this is a MS technology, but is this still possible to remote using RDP to a Linux Mint or will I need to rely on some other remote connection program (LogMeIn, Team Viewer, Chrome Remote)?

4- Is there any webcam software that would work with my Logitech Orbit camera and allow me to control it’s viewing angles (I can move the camera view up, down, left and right) like I can with the official software?

5- I use a software call Pop-peeper on Windows to alert if one of my many email accounts got anything new? Is there a similar software for Linux?

6- I use an old Harmony remote control which uses a software called “MyHamorny”. Any compatible software for that on Mint?

7- Any Notepad++ substitute?

8- Any Greenshot substitute?

9- Any Imgburn substitute?

Thank you for your time

18 minutes ago, the_importer said:

2- I want to avoid dealing with command prompts as much as possible, meaning if there's a UI option, I'd prefer it.

Then I am afraid with the amount apps you are looking to replace in Linux, you WILL be messing around lots configs and using lots of commands. I can almost guarantee that you wont be having great experience if you are not looking to mess around editing configuration files and scripts in terminal. I suggest you to use Mint in VM instead of just dual booting. Keep using windows 10.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I recommend checking out Alternativeto. https://alternativeto.net/platform/linux/

Valve is making plenty of progress with their Proton translation layer.

1. Yes. NVidia has gotten a lot better with Linux support in recent years. A good deal of games have performance parity with Windows. Some even have better performance.
HiDPI can be a slight issue at times, though all the major shells have some sort of scaler.

2. As far as I'm aware most Ubuntu/Debian distro have built-in support for it. I don't use the extra buttons for any OS level actions, so I'm unsure.

Games should be able to bind extra mouse buttons just like any other key.

3. I know Linux can RDP to a windows machine. Not sure about the other way.

7. Notepadqq and Kate are what I use.

8. Flameshot I believe is the closest alternative. Haven't used either though.

-アパゾ

29 minutes ago, the_importer said:

Thinking of dual booting with Mint as my main OS and Win10 for gaming.

Before we get started, some ground rules:

1- I'm aware of the possibility of running Windows programs and games in Linux with things like Wine, I just don't want to start dealing with this.

3- While I have a tiny bit of experience with Linux, everything I'll ask is coming from someone who's been using Windows for 23 years.

4- Any answer helps, you don’t need to know all of them.

Now for my questions. Putting games, MS SQL and my accounting software aside, I'd like to use Linux Mint for everything else.

1- While I don't plan to game in Mint, I'd still like to take advantage of the fact that my computer outputs at 2160p using my GTX1080. Will Mint allow me that possibility?

2- With no Linux version of Setpoint, is it possible to remap my Logitech mouse’s extra buttons (with a UI if possible)?

3- When I’m at the Office, I use my DynDNS to remote connect via RDP to my home computer. I know this is a MS technology, but is this still possible to remote using RDP to a Linux Mint or will I need to rely on some other remote connection program (LogMeIn, Team Viewer, Chrome Remote)?

4- Is there any webcam software that would work with my Logitech Orbit camera and allow me to control it’s viewing angles (I can move the camera view up, down, left and right) like I can with the official software?

5- I use a software call Pop-peeper on Windows to alert if one of my many email accounts got anything new? Is there a similar software for Linux?

6- I use an old Harmony remote control which uses a software called “MyHamorny”. Any compatible software for that on Mint?

7- Any Notepad++ substitute?

8- Any Greenshot substitute?

9- Any Imgburn substitute?

Thank you for your time

Besides that most of the points do have a 'generally yes, but...' as the answer I'd like you to ask how long did it take you on Win to get everything working like it does today? Aren't you allowing Mint (or any other Distro/OS) at least the same amount of investment in time and brainpower? A few of the questions seem to indicate that you didn't even look into the new world. Aren't you willing to at least get a basic understanding of bash-commands, while you already (must) have made some experience with cmd.com?