Port forwarding SMB

teidy

I'm trying to use SMB if I connect android box (Zidoo X10) to the router, but so far I haven't been successful. I don't have that much knowledge when it comes to networking so I would need some assistance. My PC (it has static IP) which is the host, is connected to the IPS modem and there I have problems, because I don't know what I have to do that SMB would still work. I've attached a diagram of my network set up. SMB worked when it had similar IP to my PC, but it was connected to the same IPS modem, but when the IP changed (it has dynamic IP) it didn't work anymore. I just want my android box be able to connect to my PC, so that I can watch movies/shows via LAN.

network_setup.png

Edited by teidy
Changed PDF file for PNG

How does that even work when your PC is on the WAN side of the router?  Does your modem give out multiple public IP addresses?  If it does, you absolutely should NOT be opening up SMB on it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

58 minutes ago, teidy said:

I'm trying to use SMB if I connect android box (Zidoo X10) to the router, but so far I haven't been successful. I don't have that much knowledge when it comes to networking so I would need some assistance. My PC (it has static IP) which is the host, is connected to the IPS modem and there I have problems, because I don't know what I have to do that SMB would still work. I've attached a diagram of my network set up. SMB worked when it had similar IP to my PC, but it was connected to the same IPS modem, but when the IP changed (it has dynamic IP) it didn't work anymore. I just want my android box be able to connect to my PC, so that I can watch movies/shows via LAN.

network_setup.pdf 749.34 kB · 5 downloads

Bad idea to add your setup layout as PDF file. I wouldn't open a PDF from an unknown source.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

How does that even work when your PC is on the WAN side of the router?  Does your modem give out multiple public IP addresses?  If it does, you absolutely should NOT be opening up SMB on it.

Using a router it's not working. It works if all devices are connected to the modem. I had to request for a static IP and they only gave me one that starts with 93. , so I'm not entirely sure how bad this is, but if it's like you said I won't be using it anymore. I could connect everything that I need to the router, but the problem is the TV box (multicast/IPTV) I'm not sure how could I make that one work. The easiest way that I see, would be to run another Ethernet cable and use it for that TV box, but I would like to try other options first.

13 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Bad idea to add your setup layout as PDF file. I wouldn't open a PDF from an unknown source.

Thanks for the heads up. Already changed it.  

I'm curious, why did you connect your PC up like this and not to the router?

The only things that should need to connect to the modem directly are the router and the TV box.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

I didn't connect the router before today, was just trying out if it could work.

Yeah, I agree with you, that would be the best option, but the only problem I have with this is that I would have to get another 15m cable. I was just trying to see if it's possible to get this config working, or would there be too many complications between SMB, modem and router?

I could try to have router directly connected to the modem, but I'm not sure how could I make TV box to work if it's connected through the router (after that there would have to be a switch).

20 minutes ago, teidy said:

I could try to have router directly connected to the modem, but I'm not sure how could I make TV box to work if it's connected through the router (after that there would have to be a switch).

I would try this, that has the best chance of working in this setup.  But it depends on how your ISP setup the TV Box.

edit, oh i didn't see the TV box uses multicast, Yeah that might not work in this case. multicast traffic won't be able to get past the router.

I can't help with your video streaming desire but I can say this is not how you get it done. For one SMB is not a protocol you want to try and broadcast out of your network. Lets say you somehow made this work. Not only would you have access to it but so would any bot or user who happens upon your network on the Internet.

The only reason or situation to share SMB out of your network would be through a encrypted tunnel where-in regardless of where you are you appear on the same network as your home network.

What you've tried to do here is bad. You want everything to be behind your Router. Do not connect a computer directly to your Modem unless you're programming it.

Personally I would setup a SSH/SFTP server and port forward the server in your Router. Then via SFTP copy videos over to my phone and watch them at my leisure. Now I know there are more streamline services that don't require you to download the whole file but I can't name any because I don't use them. This would be a much more proper setup than what you've got going on here.

Thanks for the reply. My intent was not to use smb outside of my network. I'm using smb just because this Android box has the option and it was the easiest thing to set up and it worked great for playing videos. Since now more of you pointed me out that is not safe I'll connect those devices directly to the router. But if anyone would have any idea how could I get TV box (multicast/IPTV) to work, that would be really nice. Last option I have is additional cable, but would like to see if anything can be done before that.

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

My guess is that it is a modem/router combo and using the TP-LINK router would cause double NAT.

Your problem might be that your TP LINK router is blocking WAN SMB servers, try setting the TP LINK router in AP MODE.

You can set it to AP MODE in the settings or by turning off dhcp, giving it a LAN ip on the same subnet as the rest of the network and connecting the rest of the network to a LAN port (not to wan).

8 hours ago, mtz_federico said:

My guess is that it is a modem/router combo and using the TP-LINK router would cause double NAT.

Your problem might be that your TP LINK router is blocking WAN SMB servers, try setting the TP LINK router in AP MODE.

You can set it to AP MODE in the settings or by turning off dhcp, giving it a LAN ip on the same subnet as the rest of the network and connecting the rest of the network to a LAN port (not to wan).

They said they SPECIFICALLY got a static IP address starting with 93 assigned to the PC.  That looks like a public IP address to me so no NAT.

Alright. I see that the configuration I've started with it's not useful. I've change the config to this way that everything is first connected to the router. With that I'm not sure if it would be possible to get TV box working.

network_setup2.png

On 12/25/2019 at 1:35 PM, teidy said:

Alright. I see that the configuration I've started with it's not useful. I've change the config to this way that everything is first connected to the router. With that I'm not sure if it would be possible to get TV box working.

network_setup2.png

if the modem has multiple ports then connect the TV box directly to it, if it doesn't then you might need to put a switch between the tp link router and the modem and connect the TV box to it.

something like:

modem --> switch1 -----> tp link router ---> pc, switch, android box and other devices

|

tv box

On 12/26/2019 at 11:03 PM, mtz_federico said:

if the modem has multiple ports then connect the TV box directly to it, if it doesn't then you might need to put a switch between the tp link router and the modem and connect the TV box to it.

something like:

modem --> switch1 -----> tp link router ---> pc, switch, android box and other devices

|

tv box

Modem has multiple ports, so no need for another switch. This is the set up I would mostly end up with, but I wanted to check first if something else could work. The only problem is that I have to run another 15m cable, which I wanted to avoid, since I'd have to drill (to get the plaster off) a bit again, but it looks like I'll have to do this the next week. 

15 hours ago, teidy said:

Modem has multiple ports, so no need for another switch. This is the set up I would mostly end up with, but I wanted to check first if something else could work. The only problem is that I have to run another 15m cable, which I wanted to avoid, since I'd have to drill (to get the plaster off) a bit again, but it looks like I'll have to do this the next week. 

Its a pain but really the most sensible option, rather than trying to hack something together.