Upgrading Synology with SSD. Good idea or not?

Thready

I have an old Synology 112j from 2013 and I want to upgrade. I have a 6 year old HDD in there that I don't trust anymore and I already backed up all my important files to my PC and set up redundancy there.

My goal is security and reliability. So I have 2 options. I can get a 2 drive Synology and use 2 2TB HDDs in RAID 1 (total of about $450) or I can get a 2 TB SSD (about $200) and put it in the 112j instead and maybe get a bit better performance out of it as well. I'd rather save the money and go the SSD route TBH. 

My primary goal is data reliability and security for at least 3 years and I know that SSDs are much safer than HDDs for that time span, but I don't know much about NAS so I don't know if there's some wisdom in the community against going the SSD route for NAS or not. Thoughts? Thanks.

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

Only if you put 2 SSD's in. Else its no use since no security.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Unless you have 10Gbit networking or a large number of clients/VMs/ or other disk heavy applications going the SSD route won't give you the extra performance you're looking for.

As far as reliability goes it doesn't really matter when you have proper backups & redundancy. Spinning rust gives you a much cheaper:denser upgrade path than SSDs.

There's nothing wrong with going the SSD route besides the premium cost. You may like to look into Server rated SSDs. For light duty they're not a real requirement but they'd have a better endurance rating. More writes before failing, etc.

Or sell your old Synology and get a new one where you can put in NVME SSD's that work as a cache. Does improve speed dont have to have all storage on SSD.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!