Most appropriate desktop wifi solution

Kadhea

I'm finally ditching my laptop and becoming a full-fledged member of the PC master race with a new gaming rig. I'm in the planning stages right now, and one of the challenges I've come across is how best to get it connected to the internet. I've explored the preferred wired options and, this being a rented place, running an ethernet cable to my room isn't possible. I don't think powerline is an option either - for some reason there are only two wall outlets downstairs where we have the router; one of them is occupied by the router itself, the other by a large upright surge protector I call the power tower. I'm not able to move the router upstairs.

So, given those limitations, I'm in search of the best solution for getting wifi to my new desktop. My connection here is only 40-80Mb down, 15-20Mb up, and I don't network with any other devices in my home, so max throughput isn't a huge concern. Reliability is the key.

I have two options; get a motherboard with onboard wifi (MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, £130) or get the Tomahawk Max (£90) and spend the extra £40 on an external solution, most likely a USB dongle or PCI card. I don't have any experience with either, so I'd like to hear some thoughts on both. I guess a question would be "should I just get a cheapo dongle for like £15 and put the savings towards something else in the build?"

Any advice you could give would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Get the tomahawk and throw in one of these:

https://www.newegg.com/asus-pce-ac55bt-b1-pci-express/p/N82E16833320333

The cards they use for the boards with onboard wifi are trash

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Kadhea said:

I've explored the preferred wired options and, this being a rented place, running an ethernet cable to my room isn't possible.

Mind explaining why it isn't possible? There are a lot of ways of doing that and wired is the fastest, most reliable way, so I'd definitely recommend it, if at all possible.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Mind explaining why it isn't possible? There are a lot of ways of doing that and wired is the fastest, most reliable way, so I'd definitely recommend it, if at all possible.

Landlord (I share the house with him and one other lodger) says no to drilling any holes. I said in that case I'd be happy to properly route, conceal and peg a cable up the stairs and into my room, but he said no to that as well. It's just not worth the argument :)

1 minute ago, Kadhea said:

Landlord (I share the house with him and one other lodger) says no to drilling any holes. I said in that case I'd be happy to properly route, conceal and peg a cable up the stairs and into my room, but he said no to that as well. It's just not worth the argument :)

Ah, okay then. Just a shame to be in such a position.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.