I7 9700k, 36°c-83°c @ idle. Help.

3 minutes ago, Dr_Krieger said:

After 5 tests temperatures hit 88°c.

touch high temps. tho shouldnt be the cause of the crashes. 

in fact, intel CPUs really dont shut down due to temps. 

12 minutes ago, Dr_Krieger said:

Leaving stuff auto when you have K-series is never good idea. Or it hasn't been in last few gens of CPUs. Like said in the thread, this is mainly because of MCE and the voltages it causes. In the original screenshot your Vcore is 1.328. Thats 0.05V higher than what you should realistically need at most. Actually you probably could set it to 1.2V and be fine.

Thermal paste and cooler are fine, your idle/low load would be over 45C if there was issues there. And you are hitting high temps only when CPU is under significant load. Sims 4 crashing could be any number of things, like drivers. Its old game, so you can very well go for older drivers on GPU.

@Constantin, how about you actually read more than title before replying? 83C was for load, not for idle.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Any other suggestions then? As I have no idea anymore.

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Leaving stuff auto when you have K-series is never good idea. Or it hasn't been in last few gens of CPUs. Like said in the thread, this is mainly because of MCE and the voltages it causes. In the original screenshot your Vcore is 1.328. Thats 0.05V higher than what you should realistically need at most. Actually you probably could set it to 1.2V and be fine.

Thermal paste and cooler are fine, your idle/low load would be over 45C if there was issues there. And you are hitting high temps only when CPU is under significant load. Sims 4 crashing could be any number of things, like drivers. Its old game, so you can very well go for older drivers on GPU.

@Constantin, how about you actually read more than title before replying? 83C was for load, not for idle.

Actually the 83°c was an idle temp.

1 minute ago, Dr_Krieger said:

Considering what you get under load, I doubt it was. Idle is CPU usage under 5%. Anything else is not idle. The screenshot is bit too short to see what utilization was when it hits 83C. The columns in HWmonitor are current, min, max.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 minutes ago, Dr_Krieger said:

Reseat cooler preferably with other thermal paste. Disable MCE. And your issues are gone!

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

8 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Reseat cooler preferably with other thermal paste. Disable MCE. And your issues are gone!

Any hints on how to disable mce in ASRock uefi? I've been going through it for ages now and the forums I've searched through seem to have no problems finding it. According to the manual you posted earlier there should be the option for mce but there is no indication of where to find this besides under CPU configuration where there is no obvious mce option.

14 minutes ago, Dr_Krieger said:

Any hints on how to disable mce in ASRock uefi? I've been going through it for ages now and the forums I've searched through seem to have no problems finding it. According to the manual you posted earlier there should be the option for mce but there is no indication of where to find this besides under CPU configuration where there is no obvious mce option.

Just so you guys can understand what I'm on about I've supplied an image.

I am aware that there should be an mce option above the CPU ratio option...

15768443079197899694876827236553.thumb.jpg.110c3ef9898b37b9d1c3f39afc56190c.jpg

8 minutes ago, Dr_Krieger said:

Just so you guys can understand what I'm on about I've supplied an image.

I am aware that there should be an mce option above the CPU ratio option...

15768443079197899694876827236553.thumb.jpg.110c3ef9898b37b9d1c3f39afc56190c.jpg

What board is this Pro4?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

7 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

What board is this Pro4?

ASRock z390 extreme 4, manuals are the same though.

15 minutes ago, Dr_Krieger said:

ASRock z390 extreme 4, manuals are the same though.

So you don't have this - maybe try updating BIOS or something. cvly5bj1az621.jpg

FS in Denmark/EU:

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

So you don't have this - maybe try updating BIOS or something. cvly5bj1az621.jpg

Is that your uefi? What version of bios are you running?

Correct I do not have that option.

Just now, Dr_Krieger said:

Is that your uefi? What version of bios are you running?

Correct I do not have that option.

Nope, just from google. Yeah maybe try flashing the bios. Should be able in all versions.

FS in Denmark/EU:

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

OP said!

I decided to do some digging and discovered that my cpu's idle temperatures ranged between 36° and 83°c

What would you understand reading this?

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

21 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Nope, just from google. Yeah maybe try flashing the bios. Should be able in all versions.

Flashing the original bios version 1.60 seemed to work a charm and I got complete functionality back.

Seems that mce was off by default.

Will monitor temps over the next few days and will report if anything seems out of the ordinary or if there are any changes.

Appreciate the help @everyone!

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Posted 1 hour ago · Original Poster
  1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Any other suggestions then? As I have no idea anymore.

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Sorry @LogicalDrm reconsider maybe?

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

10 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Sorry @LogicalDrm reconsider maybe?

If you read through the troubleshooting steps. Its a load temp. 

Windows was decompressing among other things in the background

36 minutes ago, Constantin said:

OP said!

I decided to do some digging and discovered that my cpu's idle temperatures ranged between 36° and 83°c

What would you understand reading this?

32 minutes ago, Constantin said:

No, my point stands. Reading thread we know that running games, temps are 78-88C. Running any stress test or benchmarks gives over 80C temps. If temps would be 83C at dile aka CPU usage under 5%, system would be overheating while gaming and it clearly isn't.

You screaming at someone who states that idle temps on under 45C don't matter, because OP claims that he has idle at 83C is you not reading through.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

No, my point stands. Reading thread we know that running games, temps are 78-88C. Running any stress test or benchmarks gives over 80C temps. If temps would be 83C at dile aka CPU usage under 5%, system would be overheating while gaming and it clearly isn't.

You screaming at someone who states that idle temps on under 45C don't matter, because OP claims that he has idle at 83C is you not reading through.

I read it all, that's why i told OP to check Task Manager to see if anything is messing with his resources.

When i reply, i have read all the thread!