Weird CPU and GPU

allin19

Hello everyone.

I recently acquired a new computer, running on a ryzen 5 3600x. The CPU has been sitting at around 50-60C on idle, and got up to 93C when I benchmarked it with cinebench r20. After turning off turbo, it's gone to around 45-50C on idle, but still gets up to 80C when playing games. The stock cooler is properly installed and working. Could it be a bad cooler (I've read many complaints about the 3rd gen stock coolers) and airflow or am I missing the main issue? The GPU utilization on HWMonitor is fluctuating all over the place (even reaching 90%) and the temperatures stay at around 50C when I only have browser open (Asus RTX 2070S). Is this normal?

Thanks.

The cooler is fine, what kind of airflow config do you have? 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

ryzen is running a bit hotter than intel. I wouldn't be too worried with those temps, especially if ambient temps are high and your case doesn't have great airflow. indeed, the stock cooler isn't amazing.

you may want to check what power plan you have. it's usually best to have it on ryzen balanced or windows balanced

Just now, Fasauceome said:

The cooler is fine, what kind of airflow config do you have? 

Right now I have 3 120mm fans on the front, and I'm currently looking for a fourth one for the back and for a new cooler

Just now, boggy77 said:

ryzen is running a bit hotter than intel. I wouldn't be too worried with those temps, especially if ambient temps are high and your case doesn't have great airflow. indeed, the stock cooler isn't amazing.

you may want to check what power plan you have. it's usually best to have it on ryzen balanced or windows balanced

It's on windows balanced. My worry is that it's running on pretty high temps even without turbo. But if it's normal, then I'll just get a better cooler/airflow.

Don't even need.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, allin19 said:

Right now I have 3 120mm fans on the front, and I'm currently looking for a fourth one for the back and for a new cooler

The exhaust fan will probably make a big difference, consider just moving one of your front fans to the back

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

The exhaust fan will probably make a big difference, consider just moving one of your front fans to the back

Will definitely consider that, thank you.

1 hour ago, allin19 said:

My worry is that it's running on pretty high temps even without turbo

The CPU knows if the temp is outside of safe ranges.  Modern features allow them to throttle-down to keep below thermal limits or turn off if things get worse than that.  As long as you aren't suffocating it or running it in a sauna you're fine.  If you like the fan to be more quiet or want to overclock it a bit, that's the advantage of getting a nice 3rd party cooler (something at least a Gammaxx 400 or better, like Deepcool Neptwin).

Just now, LogicWeasel said:

The CPU knows if the temp is outside of safe ranges.  Modern features allow them to throttle-down to keep below thermal limits or turn off if things get worse than that.  As long as you aren't suffocating it or running it in a sauna you're fine.  If you like the fan to be more quiet or want to overclock it a bit, that's the advantage of getting a nice 3rd party cooler (something at least a Gammaxx 400 or better, like Deepcool Neptwin).

Hmm.. Would you recommend the Gammaxx 400 or is the Hyper 212 Evo better?

17 minutes ago, allin19 said:

Hmm.. Would you recommend the Gammaxx 400 or is the Hyper 212 Evo better?

Gammaxx is better than Evo for that price tier and is typically cheaper too.  But there are many coolers in that exact same vertical heat pipe style.  

See this:  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/891730-cpu-cooler-performance-tier-list/

Just now, Caroline said:

This statement is so fake it's not even funny at this point.

Anyway OP do as Fasauceome said and move one of the front fans to the back, if temps get better that was the problem, if not the paste might be bad or wrongly applied.

Alright, thank you

2 hours ago, boggy77 said:

???

IMG_20191219_191703.thumb.jpg.c7e243c21fd35a482d47425894851559.jpg

No OC,  stock cooler.

And admittedly this screen is a bit misleading,  it was before I fixed some voltage issues,  idle / max temps are more like 35/57C currently.  57C after playing MHW for 5+ hours (which is probably one of the most demanding titles out there,  especially with high resolution texture pack)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, allin19 said:

The CPU has been sitting at around 50-60C on idle,

Is your cooler at stock settings?  Be honest. 

Because mine is and it idles at around 1500RPM and thankfully is basically inaudible because of my case being more on the high quality / sturdy side compared to the more mainstream options, which are often of low quality (like for example *cough* NZXT *cough*)

3 hours ago, allin19 said:

Is this normal? 

No. Not really... 

2 hours ago, allin19 said:

The stock cooler is properly installed and working.

I most sincerely have my doubts about that. 

-Not seated properly 

-Inadequate fan curve 

-Bad thermal paste job 

Are the most likely suspects here. 

All very easy to fix honestly. :)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

???

IMG_20191219_191703.thumb.jpg.c7e243c21fd35a482d47425894851559.jpg

No OC,  stock cooler.

And admittedly this screen is a bit misleading,  it was before I fixed some voltage issues,  idle / max temps are more like 35/57C currently.  57C after playing MHW for 5+ hours (which is probably one of the most demanding titles out there,  especially with high resolution texture pack)

Haha do you live in a freezer? 

15 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Haha do you live in a freezer? 

No, I swear those are unfounded rumors!  ?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity