Does This Sound Like A Failing GPU?

Knight77

For the last few days of gaming, maybe once or twice, randomly, the Monitor Screen goes black for a few seconds and then comes back on after showing "no signal".

Sometimes it stays black and I have to turn off the monitor and wait before turning it back on again for the picture to return.

Yesterday, 

Monitor went blank, I waited, no picture.

I turned off the monitor, turned it back on and the FPS went from 144 to 60 - so essentially the monitor booted back on with a 60Hz refresh rate rather than the 144.

I then had to quit the game, go back to Nvidia Control Panel and set the monitor back to 144.

Now the question is, 

Is it the monitor / G-Sync module thats failing or does this sound like a faulty GPU?

I didnt notice a performance loss or any image / graphical faults or problems.

Its just that the Monitor has started to loss signal, goes black, then usually turns back on back to normal.

As explained, yesterday it did not turn back on itself / gain picture so when I just turned it off/on it had strangely dropped from 144hz to 60Hz itself but the picture did return as normal.

It can do this once or maybe 2-3 times now.

It can happen anytime, 10 mins into gaming or maybe 3 hours into gaming.

GPU temps stable at 70 degrees.

Any help and advice welcome on what I can try.

Both products are in warrenty but I'll probably only have time to RMA one due to Christmas/new Years.

This could be anything from a driver issue, to the GPU failing, ot the cable being bad, to the monitor dying...

Start by updating your driver if it's not the latest driver. If it is, then try DDUing and installing an older driver instead.

If that doesn't work, try using a different cable. If the monitor and GPU both have HDMI and DisplayPort, try both types of ports.

If that doesn't solve it, you may need to try and find another known good monitor to test if it's the GPU. If you still have the issue, it's the GPU.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

4 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

This could be anything from a driver issue, to the GPU failing, ot the cable being bad, to the monitor dying...

Start by updating your driver if it's not the latest driver. If it is, then try DDUing and installing an older driver instead.

If that doesn't work, try using a different cable. If the monitor and GPU both have HDMI and DisplayPort, try both types of ports.

If that doesn't solve it, you may need to try and find another known good monitor to test if it's the GPU. If you still have the issue, it's the GPU.

Ah ok, 

Thank you for this.

I'll give it a go.

The picture in my crystal ball are rather blurry, can you provide some specs ? That should make it sharper.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

36 minutes ago, Juular said:

The picture in my crystal ball are rather blurry, can you provide some specs ? That should make it sharper.

2080Ti

16GB DDR4 RAM

Samsung SSD

ASUS PG279Q 

Just now, Knight77 said:

2080Ti

16GB DDR4 RAM

Samsung SSD

ASUS PG279Q 

PSU ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, Knight77 said:

For the last few days of gaming, maybe once or twice, randomly, the Monitor Screen goes black for a few seconds and then comes back on after showing "no signal".

Sometimes it stays black and I have to turn off the monitor and wait before turning it back on again for the picture to return.

Yesterday, 

Monitor went blank, I waited, no picture.

I turned off the monitor, turned it back on and the FPS went from 144 to 60 - so essentially the monitor booted back on with a 60Hz refresh rate rather than the 144.

I then had to quit the game, go back to Nvidia Control Panel and set the monitor back to 144.

Now the question is, 

Is it the monitor / G-Sync module thats failing or does this sound like a faulty GPU?

I didnt notice a performance loss or any image / graphical faults or problems.

Its just that the Monitor has started to loss signal, goes black, then usually turns back on back to normal.

As explained, yesterday it did not turn back on itself / gain picture so when I just turned it off/on it had strangely dropped from 144hz to 60Hz itself but the picture did return as normal.

It can do this once or maybe 2-3 times now.

It can happen anytime, 10 mins into gaming or maybe 3 hours into gaming.

GPU temps stable at 70 degrees.

Any help and advice welcome on what I can try.

Both products are in warrenty but I'll probably only have time to RMA one due to Christmas/new Years.

Have same exact issue, but mine is caused due to Freesync monitor (with gsync enabled). Started happening after the Nvidia drivers released in Nov, was fine before. Fixes only if i do clean install of drivers whenever there is new version. So mine is completely driver related.

So then question:

1. Does this happen with Gsync enabled? Have you tried playing with it disabled, does the issue persists?

2. Did it start happening after recent driver updates? If so, have you tried rolling back to older versions?

Cheers