Use both apu and gpu?

Go to solution Solved by Founders,

To answer your original question, yes. Both the iGPU in your APU and your discrete GPU can output to different displays simultaneously. There should be a setting in BIOS to allow you to do so. 

First I apologize if this is the wrong section. I built an apu system using a 2400g, my question is can I run a monitor off the apu then dump a rx580 or similar in to run a tv monitor. The idea is it’s a shop computer and I wanna run the monitor in my tool box off the apu then run the tv off the gpu running a different resolution. Is this an issue?

You can run 3 monitors just of the RX580. I would advise that.

As for resolutions it doesnt really matter. You can have different resolutions aspect ratio's and sizes. As long as you choose the right resolution per monitor it all will work perfectly.
As i was using 3 monitors at different resolutions for years with no problems.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Just now, HanZie82 said:

You can run 3 monitors just of the RX580. I would advise that.

As for resolutions it doesnt really matter. You can have different resolutions aspect ratio's and sizes. As long as you choose the right resolution per monitor it all will work perfectly.
As i was using 3 monitors at different resolutions for years with no problems.

I need 2 hdmi though and I believe the card only has one hdmi out. I guess I could get a dp to hdmi though

Just now, Ravendarat said:

I need 2 hdmi though and I believe the card only has one hdmi out. I guess I could get a dp to hdmi though

Yes that would be considerably more easy then trying to get both cards working simultaneously.

I didn’t even think of using an adapter. I guess the second question is do I even need to bother with the rx580 or do I just use a splitter on the hdmi and run the same resolution to both screens. The tv just plays Netflix or movies off the hard drive and the monitor is just for a simple web based program I use for remote starters

3 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

I didn’t even think of using an adapter. I guess the second question is do I even need to bother with the rx580 or do I just use a splitter on the hdmi and run the same resolution to both screens. The tv just plays Netflix or movies off the hard drive and the monitor is just for a simple web based program I use for remote starters

If your motherboard support multi monitor out then you can do it without the RX580. (might need to enable in BIOS check manual in case not working)
A splitter would just show the same picture on both screen.

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

If your motherboard support multi monitor out then you can do it without the RX580.
A splitter would just show the same picture on both screen.

Ya I understand it would duplicate, that would be ok actually. I think I have a splitter already so I might try that first, no point in buying a gpu if I don’t have to

To answer your original question, yes. Both the iGPU in your APU and your discrete GPU can output to different displays simultaneously. There should be a setting in BIOS to allow you to do so. 

Just now, Founders said:

Thanks for clarifying. I was not sure if that was the case.

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Thanks for clarifying. I was not sure if that was the case.

No problem, glad to help! :D

I found a Sapphire Nitro+ 8gb variant of the rx580 tonight for $150 Canadian thats only about a month old so I just picked it up, its gonna end up being a better solution to using a splitter and will allow easy separate display outputs. 

5 hours ago, Founders said:

it may work but isn't he limited to ram capacity of igpu if you leave APU and GPU at same time?  This may not be a issue but i presume he bought a rx580 instead of something cheaper because occasionally might need the performance.

8 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

it may work but isn't he limited to ram capacity of igpu if you leave APU and GPU at same time?  This may not be a issue but i presume he bought a rx580 instead of something cheaper because occasionally might need the performance.

Literally as long as I can display like 3-4 tabs at a time in Internet Explorer on one screen (yes it has to be IE) and display netflix or VLC on the other Im good. Its a work computer in my shop, there will be no gaming done on it.

6 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

Yes, that’s how integrated GPUs work. If you have 8 GBs of DRAM and 2 GBs is allocated to the APU’s iGPU then 6 GBs remain usable by the system. iGPUs work off of an allocation of your systems DRAM.

6 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

Literally as long as I can display like 3-4 tabs at a time in Internet Explorer on one screen (yes it has to be IE) and display netflix or VLC on the other Im good. Its a work computer in my shop, there will be no gaming done on it.

That’s not going to be a problem as long as you’re not using a splitter.