2070 Super 80 degrees

Brank

So I built a new system and am having issues with my gpu getting up into the 80s constantly, I'm running 1440p on ultra for basically everything I'm more of a graphics quality guy why not redline it that's what it's made for right ?  my frame rates average close to 100 that is until she gets hot.   Air flow is not an issue and I even moved my card down away from my noctua so it has all the air it needs.  Even with case open and a fan blowing directly on it she still flirts with 75 degrees or hotter I would like any input on ways to help or if a water cooler would help it at all I'm just not happy with my thermals on such an expensive machine.  Ty <3

My brother has a 2070 super and I have the 2080 super, both get pretty much the same temps. They are both dual fan 2 slot cards. I recommend undervolting if you're concerned about the temps, but you'll only reduce temps by around 5c if you don't want to give up performance. 

What card is it specifically? I have a FE 2070 S that doesn't pass 72c at full load. My best guess is either one of two things. You lost the silicon lottery and your chip isn't particularly great. Or, the cooler isn't making proper contact with the chip (it could be a poor application of thermal paste). @Sorenson could be on the right track if your GPU has any type of factory overclock. 

Hmm fair points thx um it's a Zotac dual fan gpu

1 minute ago, Founders said:

What card is it specifically? I have a FE 2070 S that doesn't pass 72c at full load. My best guess is either one of two things. You lost the silicon lottery and your chip isn't particularly great. Or, the cooler isn't making proper contact with the chip (it could be a poor application of thermal paste). @Sorenson could be on the right track if your GPU has any type of factory overclock. 

They are both EVGA XC Gaming GPUs. Even open air it goes to around 76c without the undervolt. I originally had the Gigabyte windforce 2080 super and it had temps closer to your 2070 FE, but the 0 RPM mode kept turning on and off driving me crazy. 

7 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

They are both EVGA XC Gaming GPUs. Even open air it goes to around 76c without the undervolt. I originally had the Gigabyte windforce 2080 super and it had temps closer to your 2070 FE, but the 0 RPM mode kept turning on and off driving me crazy. 

So you're running 2 cards in SLI via NV Link? Are both cards reaching the same temps? Have you tried running just one to see if it's SLI related?

• Download your display drivers here
  • Download DDU and run it but disable your NIC so when your computer restarts Windows doesn't auto install an old package.  
  • Run the Nvidia installer as Admin
  • Stress the GPU(s) using any method you want.
  • If this doesn't work give EVGA a call, their customer service is excellent. 

2 hours ago, Founders said:

So you're running 2 cards in SLI via NV Link? Are both cards reaching the same temps? Have you tried running just one to see if it's SLI related?

• Download your display drivers here
  • Download DDU and run it but disable your NIC so when your computer restarts Windows doesn't auto install an old package.  
  • Run the Nvidia installer as Admin
  • Stress the GPU(s) using any method you want.
  • If this doesn't work give EVGA a call, their customer service is excellent. 

No, one is in my brother's computer one is in my computer. they have also been DDU'd. There is nothing wrong with sub 80c temps on a 2080 super. Its a two slot card with only two fans. 

2 hours ago, Brank said:

Hmm fair points thx um it's a Zotac dual fan gpu

What case do you have and how do you have your case fans oriented? 

3 hours ago, Founders said:

What card is it specifically? I have a FE 2070 S that doesn't pass 72c at full load.

Most likely the FE fan curve is more aggressive, probably making it louder.

The reviews of that Zotac model show it at 70c~75c, add a few degrees of being inside a case, and other variables and you got 80c+ in some not so ideal scenario, if you want lower temps get Afterburner and make a more aggressive fan curve.