Remote large file transfer options

Ok not sure if this is the right place for this so I'll move it to a different section if need be,
But the problem, I at times need to retrieve a large file(s) from my home system on the go.. I use Google Drive atm but it's a lot of wasted time uploading then re-downloading I was hoping for a more streamline option... Like a non-cloud storage client that I can log into and directly copy files back and forth over then internet. I have seen "hard way" setups (home ftp etc) before but since my ISP doesn't have static IP's they are a pain to keep up even if I need to use my splashtop connection to start the transfer or move a file to a specific directory on the "server" side it will still save a lot time overall.. I don't mind a small fee like how Splashtop is about 25-30 USD a year for up to 5 systems, but much more then that isn't worth it for my use case.

Setup a small storage server/NAS and enable SFTP/SSH. Setup Port Forwarding in your Router.

You can solve the changing IP issue by using a service such as no-ip. It's a Dynamic DNS service which will allow you to use a hostname and it will keep track of your changing IP for you (I think it's free if you only need one or two).

You'll be limited by the upload speed of your home network so depending on how that's setup for you it could make things better or even worse.

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Setup a small storage server/NAS and enable SFTP/SSH. Setup Port Forwarding in your Router.

You can solve the changing IP issue by using a service such as no-ip. It's a Dynamic DNS service which will allow you to use a hostname and it will keep track of your changing IP for you (I think it's free if you only need one or two).

You'll be limited by the upload speed of your home network so depending on how that's setup for you it could make things better or even worse.

That's all well and good but you know any good guides to do so? and I would need to set it up on my main WIn 10 system...  I lack the resources to build a separate NAS atm. And I'm limited by my upload speed using cloud methods anyway so any streamlining will be better

17 hours ago, Lucian_Dragos said:

That's all well and good but you know any good guides to do so? and I would need to set it up on my main WIn 10 system...  I lack the resources to build a separate NAS atm. And I'm limited by my upload speed using cloud methods anyway so any streamlining will be better

I wrote a guide on how to do this with Ubuntu Server:

I don't have any familiarity with SFTP/SSH services for Windows. I can only help from the Linux aspect. I can help if you need to use a Windows client to connect to the Linux server but building a Windows based server you can access over SFTP/SSH I don't know how to do. I'm not even certain a Windows service/feature is available on Desktop versions of Windows. You may be SOL there but I'll let someone else confirm that as I'm not 100% sure. Something like Teamviewer or Anydesk would be an option for file transfers though. They're free for personal use.