Remote Backup

BelgianNoise

I have had my NAS for like 2 years now and im building quite a large and rare media library.
I run WD reds 8TB in RAID1 so disk failure is not really a problem.

Ive been living in fear of someone managing to get into my NAS and just "rm -rf"ing the shite out of it.

Ive looked in to some cloud storage services but for my 2.5TB and growing disk usage, i would be paying at least like €25 a month. 
I can't spend that much money every month. Are there any cloud storages that are more affortable? (im aware that cloud storage is just using someone else's pc, so it can't be free)

Other ideas:
1) i have 2x 1TB drives on the shelf, so i could just copy most of my files over every month, this is the "free" option, but not optimal.
2) considering i would pay 25-50/mo for the cloud storage,(300-600/year) i might be better of buying/building a new NAS and setting it up at my dad's or gf's place.8TB drive for €250 and a dual core NAS on sale €200 ish.

What method do you recommend? and why?

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

For that big size, unless you have gigabit up/down, I recommend to buy big cheap hdd. It will be much cheaper than paying every month. And faster.

20 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

For that big size, unless you have gigabit up/down, I recommend to buy big cheap hdd. It will be much cheaper than paying every month. And faster.

Only the initial backup will take long yes.
Do you recommend to get a (maybe external) hdd or to get a NAS on another location ?

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

1 hour ago, BelgianNoise said:

Only the initial backup will take long yes.
Do you recommend to get a (maybe external) hdd or to get a NAS on another location ?

I recommend to get internal big hdd. They are usually better that external drives. I've read many complains about external drives. There is a reason why they're mostly cheaper than internal ones even with controller, case, cable etc.

4 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I recommend to get internal big hdd. They are usually better that external drives. I've read many complains about external drives. There is a reason why they're mostly cheaper than internal ones even with controller, case, cable etc.

i have 2 8TB HDDs. but i want a backup somewhere. i dont think u read the post. like at all

I read your post, I know that you have raid1, that is cool. But I'm taking about third HDD. You asked about external drive, I answered that internal will be probably better. I'm not saying that you should keep that drive inside all the time. Made backup (incremental) and hide your internal backup drive in other room.

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I read your post, I know that you have raid1, that is cool. But I'm taking about third HDD. You asked about external drive, I answered that internal will be probably better. I'm not saying that you should keep that drive inside all the time. Made backup (incremental) and hide your internal backup drive in other room.

1)
tnx

Personally I would go the Dads/Gfs house route. Cheaper in the long term and still a very viable method of reliable backup.

Is this a NAS you built yourself or is it a pre-build like Synology or QNAP?

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Personally I would go the Dads/Gfs house route. Cheaper in the long term and still a very viable method of reliable backup.

Is this a NAS you built yourself or is it a pre-build like Synology or QNAP?

i have a QNAP, went for one of those because of their very low poser draw.

5 minutes ago, BelgianNoise said:

i have a QNAP, went for one of those because of their very low poser draw.

Indeed they are. Unfortunately I can't help setup the backup software. I have no experience with pre-built NAS units. If it was custom or Linux based I could help with RSYNC over SSH but I don't believe it is.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Indeed they are. Unfortunately I can't help setup the backup software. I have no experience with pre-built NAS units. If it was custom or Linux based I could help with RSYNC over SSH but I don't believe it is.

QNAP has an app to sync NAS to NAS. so i think i will just get another QNAP.
Its not that i dont know how to configure rsync and stuff, but im not the networking kinda dude, so i prefer the easy way. 
Building one urself isnt even cheaper(most of the times), thats the main reason actually.
tnx for the offer tho :)