how much PS3 are equals one PS4 on game power ?

7850OC
i remember the jump from PS1 to PS2 (it was awesome)  :rolleyes:

and the PS2 to PS3 (not as noticeable as before)  :ph34r:

Well if you can see a difference between 30 and 60 FPS and 720p and 1080p it is a big difference.

40% more power so it is better.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Maybe two or three, with 16 of them for RAM.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

ps2 to ps3 wasnt noticable :o

_-Sonic-Heroes-PS2-_.jpg

seaside-hill-modern-sonic.jpg

How did you not notice PS2 to PS3? It went from SD to HD and it was magnificent (especially on the first Motorstorm).

How did you not notice PS2 to PS3? It went from SD to HD and it was magnificent (especially on the first Motorstorm).

in a old tv all D are SD lol  :lol:

I would say 3-6 PS3s equal a ps4 in Gaming power. More Ram + GPU are worlds better than the ps3s. we are gonna see some very beautiful games in 1080p @60fps in the coming years. Even though gaming pc's will destroy the new consols, your gonna need a decent one to make it look as good as it does on a ps4. Thats because the OS is so light and Devs optimize for that specific chip.

I would say 3-6 PS3s equal a ps4 in Gaming power. More Ram + GPU are worlds better than the ps3s. we are gonna see some very beautiful games in 1080p @60fps in the coming years. Even though gaming pc's will destroy the new consols, your gonna need a decent one to make it look as good as it does on a ps4. Thats because the OS is so light and Devs optimize for that specific chip.

The OS is not that light. That would be true of past gens of consols but this time around both Sony and Microsoft have made the OS much much more intensive than before.

The OS is not that light. That would be true of past gens of consols but this time around both Sony and Microsoft have made the OS much much more intensive than before.

Even saying that, X1 and windows are still more resource intensive. The performance optimisations are like mantle but go even further, as they know what exactly what GPU and CPU they are dealing with, rather than just a GCN GPU and....any other cpu :P

Actual performance difference between ps3 and ps4....GPU would be comparing something between a 7600gt/7800gt to something around a HD 7870, modified a decent amount. So maybe around 10x.

CPU is mixed bag. Whats inside the PS3 is kinda crazy, so to compare what is in the PS4, easier to say its around an i5 maybe.

RAM, yeah 16x more and considerably faster about 9x or 10x again. Also being one single pool means there is less waste of bandwidth going from system ram to Vram. Its all just there for the CPU and GPU to access. The connection between the GPU and CPU is faster than PCIe3, so that's more than enough seeing that PCIe2 is still viable.

I'd say easily 8x faster pushing around 10x.

Even saying that, X1 and windows are still more resource intensive. The performance optimisations are like mantle but go even further, as they know what exactly what GPU and CPU they are dealing with, rather than just a GCN GPU and....any other cpu :P

Actual performance difference between ps3 and ps4....GPU would be comparing something between a 7600gt/7800gt to something around a HD 7870, modified a decent amount. So maybe around 10x.

CPU is mixed bag. Whats inside the PS3 is kinda crazy, so to compare what is in the PS4, easier to say its around an i5 maybe.

RAM, yeah 16x more and considerably faster about 9x or 10x again. Also being one single pool means there is less waste of bandwidth going from system ram to Vram. Its all just there for the CPU and GPU to access. The connection between the GPU and CPU is faster than PCIe3, so that's more than enough seeing that PCIe2 is still viable.

I'd say easily 8x faster pushing around 10x.

You are making up horseshit. Mantle isn't on the consoles. Consoles have always had low level APIs and such and this generation is no different. GPU is not as powerful as a 7870. It's slightly slower, more comparable to the 7970m. Performance of the CPU is nowhere close to an i5. The CPU is really weak. Comparing it to an i5 is nuts. Jaguar is essentially as powerful as Atom. A better comparison of CPU performance would be the 8 core Silvermont Atom chips Intel has been making. An i5 slaughters the PS4 CPU though.

You are making up horseshit. Mantle isn't on the consoles. Consoles have always had low level APIs and such and this generation is no different. GPU is not as powerful as a 7870. It's slightly slower, more comparable to the 7970m. Performance of the CPU is nowhere close to an i5. The CPU is really weak. Comparing it to an i5 is nuts. Jaguar is essentially as powerful as Atom. A better comparison of CPU performance would be the 8 core Silvermont Atom chips Intel has been making. An i5 slaughters the PS4 CPU though.

Ok, I can see how you might have mis understood what i was saying about mantle. I am VERY much aware that it has nothing to do with the consoles, just trying to draw some analogues between the optimisation bonuses you get with a console and how mantle is partially doing that with PCs.

And yes sorry was the 7850 not 7870 I should have compared the GPU to. But even then, it still borrows tech from the 290 series with elements of true audio and the same 8 ACE unit setup for compute functions.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7513/ps4-spec-update-audio-dsp-is-based-on-amds-trueaudio

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/ps4-secret-sauce-confirmed-ps4-has-amd-s-trueaudio-30928354/

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/ps4-gpu-is-monstrous-completely-destroys-xbone-gpu-30883439/ 

http://n4g.com/news/1371767/playstation-4-and-amd-radeon-r9-290x-gpu-share-the-same-8-ace-asynchronous-compute-engines

http://gearnuke.com/amd-flagship-r9-290x-has-same-number-of-aces-as-the-ps4/

And yeah, the CPU. It depends on the finer points on how this graph is meant to be interpreted

http://gamingbolt.com/substance-engine-increases-ps4-xbox-one-texture-generation-speed-to-14-mbs-12-mbs-respectively

If thats going by, 1 CPU is the whole cpu and its cores, the PS4 is little over half of an i7, which yeah isnt a i5, but is still pretty good considering power draw and resources. But if its going by per core, that could be a different story. I'll give you that it might not be in the same range as an i5, but then it also doesn't have the same over heads a PC would (Windows, DX, background programs etc).

Even so the point is the same. The games will be better optimized for the console so it will take faster hardware on a pc to run it with similar setting and im sure the OS isnt as resource heavy as windows.

There's no need to be so hostile, man. :)

To be fair, we've still not seen actual performance comparisons of the PS4's CPU. All we have is rough technical specifications and supposition - I'd like to point out that according to those things an AMD 8350 would annihilate an Intel Core i7 4770k. But in reality, it doesn't.

And not just that, it's difficult to gauge the performance of the CPU when combined with the other components given that it's not running on a PC. Is the CPU's performance as important as it is on PC, will it bottleneck the GPU to the same extent etc... 

At the end of the day, actions speak louder than words. We need to wait and see developers taking advantage of the hardware before we can truly judge its capabilities.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

You sir are an ignorant fool. Stop being so anti-console and realise that they offer some semi-decent hardware for the price point.

Never said they were not. I own a Xbox One too and love it.