Missing Capacity/partition

Alright, here's a conundrum. I have a 128gb msata ssd I salvaged from an old laptop that was beyond repair (a whole other story). That laptop had an msata drive that no longer had any valuable data on it. So I wanted to use it as an external ssd for extra storage (bought an msata enclosure/adaptor). I tried to wipe out the partitions that it had (the os etc), there was an error (something about a corrupted partition table) and boom, the ssd was wiped. but now I can only see 60gb of the full volume. I tried checking disk management to see if there was an unallocated partition etc, but i could only see the 60gb space and nothing else. checked the properties etc, all seem to say that the drive only has 60gb. Need help. Thank you ?

ps: I can use the visible 60gb just fine

9 minutes ago, NekoCap said:

Alright, here's a conundrum. I have a 128gb msata ssd I salvaged from an old laptop that was beyond repair (a whole other story). That laptop had an msata drive that no longer had any valuable data on it. So I wanted to use it as an external ssd for extra storage (bought an msata enclosure/adaptor). I tried to wipe out the partitions that it had (the os etc), there was an error (something about a corrupted partition table) and boom, the ssd was wiped. but now I can only see 60gb of the full volume. I tried checking disk management to see if there was an unallocated partition etc, but i could only see the 60gb space and nothing else. checked the properties etc, all seem to say that the drive only has 60gb. Need help. Thank you ?

ps: I can use the visible 60gb just fine

trying using diskpart in a admin command line

diskpart

list disk

select disk x   (replace x with the number of the drive)

clean

After complete check diskmanagment make sure the drive is not dynamic and is listed as a basic disk.

Check your unallocated capacity now.

Its possible that the external adaptor can only see up to 60GB.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

Lets start by running a disk check...

Connect the drive

Right click the drive

Select Properties > Tools then click Check in the Error Checking section.

Take a screenshot of the result and post it

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2019 at 4:47 PM, ddennis002 said:

trying using diskpart in a admin command line

diskpart

list disk

select disk x   (replace x with the number of the drive)

clean

After complete check diskmanagment make sure the drive is not dynamic and is listed as a basic disk.

Check your unallocated capacity now.

Its possible that the external adaptor can only see up to 60GB.

On 12/12/2019 at 4:49 PM, Master Disaster said:

Lets start by running a disk check...

Connect the drive

Right click the drive

Select Properties > Tools then click Check in the Error Checking section.

Take a screenshot of the result and post it

Thank you for your replies. Tried them, and every other trick in the book. But still nothing. I think one of the Nand chip is dead or shorted-out. Which would explain why the capacity was cut nicely in half. fixing it is a hassle, so i decided to just use it as is.