Adrenalin 2020 Edition 19.12.2 Causing my game to freeze at one frame

Ifteakhar

I recently upgraded to a RX 570 8GB Nitro + edition gpu, its a used card and i know its not been used for mining. Yesterday I updated my GPU driver from 19.12.1 to 19.12.2 and when I started Witcher 3, Forza Horizon 4 (or any game) it would instantly stuck on one frame as the game runs on the background.
I can hear everything what's going on the screen but its stuck on one frame. Hoping to get a fix from the forum.

Reinstall older driver while waiting for hotfix.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

12 minutes ago, Ifteakhar said:

I recently upgraded to a RX 570 8GB Nitro + edition gpu, its a used card and i know its not been used for mining. Yesterday I updated my GPU driver from 19.12.1 to 19.12.2 and when I started Witcher 3, Forza Horizon 4 (or any game) it would instantly stuck on one frame as the game runs on the background.
I can hear everything what's going on the screen but its stuck on one frame. Hoping to get a fix from the forum.

Turn off these in global graphics settings in Radeon Settings to test:

Radeon Anti Lag

Radeon Chill

Radeon Boost

Radeon Enhance Sync

Radeon Image Sharpening

Wait for Vertical Sync

I heard Radeon Enhance Sync causing games freeze, stutter, crash, and frame skip.

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Reinstall older driver while waiting for hotfix.

That's what i did. thanks for the reply!

2 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Turn off these in global graphics settings in Radeon Settings to test:

Radeon Anti Lag

Radeon Chill

Radeon Boost

Radeon Enhance Sync

Radeon Image Sharpening

Wait for Vertical Sync

I heard Radeon Enhance Sync causing games freeze, stutter, crash, and frame skip.

I'll try these settings but honestly I like the older driver better. The 19.12.2 uses a lot of gpu usage and memory clock

5 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

I like that anti-lag is now a universal option now rather then me having to set it up for every damn game i want it in, which tbh even if i mitigate its need by trying to keep GPU utilization lower then 100% (so it doesn't incur latency from buffer filling up) i'd still rather its always on for cases where i don't have as much finite control, can't easily set custom ingame frame limits

Overall as a Navi user i see this mostly as a update to driver features and nice but not extreme performance bump.

The new UI took a moment but once i got used to it i liked it better, its organized more like a proper PC app and less like a tablet/mobile app that the old Radeon Software interface somehow reeked of.  Originally going into OC settings to setup my preffered fan curves and just check it out i was worried i had lost some control if one wanted to overclock, but quickly realized it had more granular control then previous drivers (voltage and clockspeed can finally be typed in separately at the same time without additional inputs, ram speed OC is more relatable in how its reported if not changed in its actual function)

Beyond this, and looking more into other users experiences, this seems to be a good upgrade for RX500 series cards, and specifically good for Navi cards, but it appears this driver is a net lose both for performance as well as overclocking limits and stability for OC with Vega 56, 64, and Radeon VII users, so for the time being avoid it if you have one of those cards.  If you have one of those cards and its improved anything feel free to report so, but so far i've not seen improvements for them at all.

Its a good driver update, but like as it has always been with Radeon, if you have a older card, specifically Vega in this case, it may be superior to just stick to older drivers at this point, even if its superior for people on newer more common cards/architectures. 

When you turn on anti lag, do you hear this annoying beep sound everytime you launch a game? 

4 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

When you turn on anti lag, do you hear this annoying beep sound everytime you launch a game? 

YES! I accidentally pressed F1 and it did a beeping noise and my game froze (I was playing The Witcher 3) it was very annoying, basically from that games started to act up like that.
It works fine in the main menu of the games, the freezing starts when I'm actually playing it.

1 minute ago, Ifteakhar said:

YES! I accidentally pressed F1 and it did a beeping noise and my game froze (I was playing The Witcher 3) it was very annoying, basically from that games started to act up like that.
It works fine in the main menu of the games, the freezing starts when I'm actually playing it.

Did u turn off those radeon settings? Give ddu a shot? 

5 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

I like that anti-lag is now a universal option now rather then me having to set it up for every damn game i want it in, which tbh even if i mitigate its need by trying to keep GPU utilization lower then 100% (so it doesn't incur latency from buffer filling up) i'd still rather its always on for cases where i don't have as much finite control, can't easily set custom ingame frame limits

Overall as a Navi user i see this mostly as a update to driver features and nice but not extreme performance bump.

The new UI took a moment but once i got used to it i liked it better, its organized more like a proper PC app and less like a tablet/mobile app that the old Radeon Software interface somehow reeked of.  Originally going into OC settings to setup my preffered fan curves and just check it out i was worried i had lost some control if one wanted to overclock, but quickly realized it had more granular control then previous drivers (voltage and clockspeed can finally be typed in separately at the same time without additional inputs, ram speed OC is more relatable in how its reported if not changed in its actual function)

Beyond this, and looking more into other users experiences, this seems to be a good upgrade for RX500 series cards, and specifically good for Navi cards, but it appears this driver is a net lose both for performance as well as overclocking limits and stability for OC with Vega 56, 64, and Radeon VII users, so for the time being avoid it if you have one of those cards.  If you have one of those cards and its improved anything feel free to report so, but so far i've not seen improvements for them at all.

Its a good driver update, but like as it has always been with Radeon, if you have a older card, specifically Vega in this case, it may be superior to just stick to older drivers at this point, even if its superior for people on newer more common cards/architectures. 

Currently sticking with the 19.12.1 driver because I really haven't noticed much difference in my games and I tend not to look at the numbers as I play so it felt normal but then all of a sudden it started freezing!

6 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Did u turn off those radeon settings? Give ddu a shot? 

Not yet but I will get to it!

I'm on Navi, but Looks like i'll be DDUing and going back to old driver, For me 19.9.2 was stable so i'll be going back to that i suppose. 

I'm using RX 5700, yet having same issue where it crashes if i use Anti-lag or Radeon Chill, usually forcing me to restart computer upon loading a game, possibly other features as well.  Game crashes right around same time the Overlay telling me to Press Alt+R for radeon setting pops up while loading game. 

I swear it was working last night, but thinking more about it i think i installed driver after playing Halo, looked at UI changes, and went to bed

8 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

ya, if its same as before i think the beep is cute, it sounds like a victory or Charge! trumpet to me, but i can imagine alot of people would rather just not have auditory notification.  With previous driver you had to select it for each individual game and now you can make a it universal if you want, but thats no help if the game crashes when using either feature

I was looking forward to making some comparisons of 1080p native vs upscale with RIS at 900p, but that will have to wait as i'm not going to use a driver which breaks when i use one of its main features (anti-lag)