Minor needs help with 6 year old computer built by dad.

Killerbotawsome

Hello! I'm 14 now and I have a PC that my dad built for me when I was 8. The PC is quite old and it's getting time for an upgrade. With this post I'm looking for some tips on what to upgrade to do and tips on how to do it. I've really only put ram and a GPU in. I've also watched videos about PCs, but I'm really scared to do it myself because I'm really scared that I will break something. I'm want to upgrade my Ryzen 5 2600x, am4 motherboard (Most likely a b450, but I don't know what the difference between all of them is), and ddr4 ram at whatever mhz. Here are my current specs.

CPU: i5-4670k

CPU Cooler: Stock Intel Cooler

Motherboard: ASUS Z87-PRO

Memory: Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 C10 1x8GB (Running at 1333 mhz)

Storage: WD Red 3TB (2012) and Verbatim SATA-III SSD 120GB (OS is on SSD and my hardrive is for steam games and files for games I mod like Garry's Mod and Arma 3.)

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 1060-3GB

Case: Orange and black SYX case

Power Supply: Corsair HX650

Optical Drive: N/A Don't own one.

Monitor: 60hz Acer 1920x1080

Keyboard: Dell that came with a prebuilt dell pc lol (I spilt Rootbeer on my Blackwidow Chroma :(

Mousepad: Razer Firefly

Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Wired

Pictures (They are discord links because I lost the picture file): https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/654390514178588703/654529302397714442/20191201_212924.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/654390514178588703/654529303278649354/20191201_212933.jpg

Disclaimer: I know it is dirty and the cable management is horrible, but give me a break :)

Budget? Location? Aims for the upgrade (144hz, 4k etc.)?

Your current specs aren't that bad tbh

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

My budget is around 500-700 dollars. I live in the USA and The aims for upgrade are for my cpu, motherboard, and ram. I don't really care for a new monitor or anything because I can get that later on. I want to buy a Ryzen 5 2600x, am4 motherboard (Most likely a b450, but I don't know what the difference between all of them is), and ddr4 ram at whatever mhz. I want to upgrade because games that I should be able to run I struggle on. Here is my PCUserbenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/22449992

You could get a better cpu cooler and overclock. Add another 8GB of memory. And get a better gpu.

But if you want new consider something like the following.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Best Buy) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($64.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8 GB PULSE Video Card  ($329.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $699.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-12 02:49 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

15 hours ago, Killerbotawsome said:

What case do you recommend? @brob

I'm partial to Fractal-Design Meshify and Define cases. But they may exceed your budget. Nzxt H510 is less expensive and not a bad choice.

Use pcpartpicker.com to find better pricing. The MSI B450 Pro would be a reasonable choice, as would the B450 Tomahawk.

To be honest, you're not in a great position to upgrade.  The 4670k pairs pretty well with a 1060 3GB, neither really bottleneck each other.  If you got a significantly faster video card, the 4670k is gonna be a little too slow, and if you upgraded your CPU RAM, and MoBo, you wouldn't likely see any real differences in game performance as the 4670k can handle the 1060 3GB.  

Get another 8GB dimm of memory and your set for afew years at least.  Put the rest of that money away and wait until there's something worth actually upgrading to.  

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

Hell, if you're itching for an upgrade, get a better monitor before anything else.  ANY better system would be meaningless if your display is still 1920x180 60Hz

I know you said you would get a monitor later on, but right now its the only thing that would actually improve your gaming experience.  A 2600 witha 1060 3GB will be almost no different than a 4670k with a 10603GB. 

Get this monitor, and in a few years when you are making more money get a whole new system that can make use of it.

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Non-Glare-UltraWide-21-Resolution/dp/B07G5FCR6X/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=curved+monitor+ultrawide+3440&qid=1576560179&s=electronics&sr=1-4

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

In general more memory improves overall performance. 

It isn't really possible to judge how much of an improvement might occur based on a Task Manager display. Programs and the system generally size buffers based on available memory. In addition the memory manager makes some fairly complex judgements about what is kept in memory at any given moment in time. And finally, memory release and binding are often delayed leading to inaccurate numbers in Task Manager.

So would buying another 8gb ddr3 stick have me see more performance than if I upgraded all of my pc? Also when buying ram does the clock speed have to match with your other ram stick or can I have like 1 1800 mhz and 1 1333 mhz stick?

All memory will run at the slowest speed.

Upgrading to the latest cpu etc will likely offer more performance than simply doubling the amount of memory in the system.

@brob So what do you reccomend? Should I buy a 8gb ddr3 stick from my friend at school or should I upgrade my PC now?

Not a question I can answer.

15 minutes ago, Killerbotawsome said:

Why? I'm just asking what you think would be more beneficial.

People charge too much for the 8thread 4770 and 4790 CPUs.

I'd chase a cheap Ryzen platform.

Having faster 1600mhz in Dual Channel 2x8gb would help somewhat but not be magical...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

3 hours ago, Killerbotawsome said:

@brob So what do you reccomend? Should I buy a 8gb ddr3 stick from my friend at school or should I upgrade my PC now?

Getting another 8gb memory to run in dual channel will increase your fps by about 10% and might also get rid of freezes and stutters if you encounter that.

If you are on a tight budget, i'd start with that.

If you have a bigger budget and want to drastically increase your performance, upgrade the whole thing.

29 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Getting another 8gb memory to run in dual channel will increase your fps by about 10% and might also get rid of freezes and stutters if you encounter that.

If you are on a tight budget, i'd start with that.

If you have a bigger budget and want to drastically increase your performance, upgrade the whole thing.

Thank you so much. I do face stutters when I play games that I should be able to run and it has stumped me for quite a long time. They are like drastic FPS drops and it seems that I'm loading stuff in, but I can't load it fast enough.

I think I will probably end up upgrading my ram for a short term upgrade until March, which is my birthday, and then I will upgrade!

51 minutes ago, Killerbotawsome said:

I think I will probably end up upgrading my ram for a short term upgrade until March, which is my birthday, and then I will upgrade!

try to get it the same frequency if possible. also if you have 4 ram slots on the motherboard, put them in staggered slots (1 and 3 or 2 and 4)