If a game is capped at 60FPS while running on a 144Hz monitor, will I notice any abnormalities?

Noirgheos

A lot of the games I love to play tend to be capped at 60FPS by the developers, for better or for worse. I'm curious and would like to ask a question before spending the money on a 144Hz monitor, will I notice anything off about the smoothness when the game is capped at 60? Games like Dark Souls, Sekiro, etc.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

7 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

Games like Dark Souls, Sekiro, etc.

I play these on my monitor, and despite the bummer of limited frames, they are just the standard 60fps experience

thankfully they have that crisp 1440p and 4k option.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

I play these on my monitor, and despite the bummer of limited frames, they are just the standard 60fps experience

thankfully they have that crisp 1440p and 4k option.

Is your monitor Freesync or G-Sync?

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

4 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

Is your monitor Freesync or G-Sync?

g sync compatible freesync

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

g sync compatible freesync

Would you mind disabling the adaptive sync options and still seeing if those games feel smooth at 60FPS?

1 minute ago, Noirgheos said:

Would you mind disabling the adaptive sync options and still seeing if those games feel smooth at 60FPS?

adaptive sync doesn't make it smoother unless you're dropping frames, but the titan in my PC can't really drop frames in those games. If you're maintaining 60 fps, there'll be no tearing and smooth gameplay overall.

Primary PC:

Try it out, it would be completely unplayable to me (I tried) 

Framerate and refresh rate must be in sync, I thought that's common sense,  but apparently isn't and people are completely insensitive to this?! 

PS: I would get a 120hz monitor if those are available.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

58 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Try it out, it would be completely unplayable to me (I tried) 

Framerate and refresh rate must be in sync, I thought that's common sense,  but apparently isn't and people are completely insensitive to this?! 

PS: I would get a 120hz monitor if those are available.  

If you could find a 24" 1440p 120Hz monitor for me, I would love that. (Seriously, I would)

23 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

If you could find a 24" 1440p 120Hz monitor for me, I would love that. (Seriously, I would)

Yeah I think the marketing gag with 1440/144 just works too well...!

Although at least there should be 240hz displays available? 

I'm not really in the market,  totally content with my 7 year old Asus heh,  next monitor will be probably 1440/60 perhaps with gsync 

IF they make those haha x)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer