Copyright Infringement, What The Heck

PhilAndJims

Hello everyone.  Basically here's what happened:

Last week my internet was shutdown.  I rebooted my router and opened a browser and my ISP page came up and required that I acknowledge my service was used to traffic illegal torrents.  I was dumbfounded.  I asked them why would they just suddenly cut it without warning me.  It turns out they have been sending me notices to an email I used to sign up for.  My mail services automatically labels email from my ISP to be marketing so it doesn't go into my regular mailbox.  I looked at the infringement claims from a company called rightscorp.  There are about 158 of them.  Their message indicates their alleged date and time stamp with my IP address.  It also contained a link where I can go and pay for my violation.

First of all I did not commit these acts.  If I pay them wouldn't it be taken as admitting guilt?  I'm not guilty.  I looked at every computer in my house and could not find any of them with torrents and the claimed music files.  I don't have any wired connection where someone could tap into.  I do have Wifi.  Could my neighbors be hacking into it and downloading all that stuff?  It has a password but nothing crazy like 18 digits or something.  What's the likelihood of that happening?  A more tech savvy friend of mine said that it's possible my IP address could have been spoofed out in the internet.  I don't know how that works.

Basically I'm very concerned and I've read stories online that those who have been involved, caught and accused of piracy, have wound up paying thru the nose of fines and judgement.  Can I be sued?  I'd greatly like to avoid that specially I have nothing to do with this.  I must say it's kept me worried for a while.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know where you live, and as such I can only give very general advice on this matter.

Paying for the violation would amount to an out of court settlement. Whether it hinges on an admittance of guilt depends on the settlement.

The use of IP-addresses as proof is kinda shaky and the power it holds depends on your jurisdiction. You could write the right holder, or their representative, for further proof that links the registered IP-address to you personally, and explain that an IP-address can easily be spoofed or accessed by unsavory individuals.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes